Graduate Record Examinations (GRE)

If you plan to attend graduate school, you'll probably need to take the Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) General and/or Subject Tests. Your scores on these tests help admissions officers determine if you will be a good fit for the program.

The GRE General Test measures verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, critical thinking and analytical writing skills that are not related to any specific field of study.

The GRE Subject Tests measure your potential to succeed in a specific course of study. These are usually subjects you have mastered in college and plan to study in graduate school.

Subject tests include:

  • Biochemistry, cell and molecular biology
  • Biology
  • Chemistry
  • Computer science
  • Literature in English
  • Mathematics
  • Physics
  • Psychology


The National Guard funds one administration of the GRE General computer-based test (CBT) and one administration of a GRE Subject paper-based test per person.

The Guard will reimburse your CBT test fee, but you are responsible for scheduling and paying for the GRE General CBT test up front. Within 90 days of your test date, you must submit your reimbursement request containing:

  • Reimbursement request form
  • Score report
  • Proof of payment

Your reimbursement request form must contain all required information and be signed by a DANTES test control officer (TCO) or alternate TCO. Test center personnel are not authorized to sign your reimbursement form. See your state education services officer (ESO) with any questions.

The GRE General CBT is available exclusively through Prometric and select college and university test centers. GRE Subject paper-based tests are available through Army National Guard state education services offices that serve as DANTES test centers. No fee is charged at these centers.


You'll find additional information on the GRE, including preparation materials, in the GRE section of the Educational Testing Service website. In addition, you'll find registration instructions, scheduling policies and procedures, and test center locations.

Current Guard Soldiers can get information on education programs by emailing the Guard Support Center or calling 866-628-5999, or by contacting their state's Education Services Officer.