Federal Tuition Assistance
How do I qualify for FTA?
- Be currently serving in the Army National Guard, and
- Have completed at least one year of service from your Advanced Individual Training (AIT)/Basic Officer Leaders Course (BOLC) graduation date
- Do not have an expiration term of service (ETS) or mandatory removal date (MRD) prior to completion of course(s)
- Service obligations for warrant officers and officers
- Subject to a four-year Reserve Duty Service Obligation (RDSO); or
- Two-year Active Duty Service Obligation (ADSO)
What do I get?
- FTA will pay up to $250 per semester hour for up to 16 semester hours per fiscal year
- Lifetime limit of 130 undergraduate semester hours
- Lifetime limit of 39 graduate semester hours
- FTA may pay toward the cost of tuition only if:
- The college/university is regionally or nationally accredited and is a GoArmyEd participant
- The funded course(s) meets a requirement in your documented degree plan from the school (this can include prerequisite courses)
- You maintain an undergraduate GPA of 2.0 for FTA-funded courses
- You maintain a graduate GPA of 3.0 for FTA-funded courses
- FTA may pay toward one credential at each of the following levels:
- Undergraduate-level certificate
- Associate degree
- Bachelor's degree
- Graduate-level certificate
- Must not have already earned a master's degree to be eligible
- Exceptions: Initial state teacher certifications, chaplain certification or prerequisites for the Interservice Physician Assistant Program (IPAP) may be eligible after receiving a master’s degree
- Master's degree
- First professional degrees are not eligible (e.g., doctorate degrees, juris doctorates, etc.)
- Must have completed 10 years of service between completing a bachelor’s degree with FTA funds and starting a master’s degree program using FTA funds
Which programs are not eligible for FTA?
- Courses leading to a credential that is lower or lateral to the highest credential you have already been awarded
- Example: If you have a bachelor’s degree (even if you came into the Guard with one), you cannot use FTA to pursue a second bachelor’s or an associate degree.
- Any program that bundles tuition and fees together into a lump sum
- Continuing Education Units (CEUs) or courses that do not meet degree requirements
How do I apply?
- Create a GoArmyEd account
- Establish a GoArmyEd Tuition Assistance account at www.goarmyed.com by checking "Student" under "Create/Activate GoArmyEd Account," then clicking the “Create/Activate Account” button and entering all required data.
- Once you have set up an FTA account, you can begin requesting FTA. A few tips to keep in mind:
- You can apply for FTA up to 60 days prior to the start of your courses and must be approved prior to the course start date. We recommend signing up as early as possible as funding is based upon availability.
- You will submit an FTA request for each individual course you want FTA to pay for.
- If your school goes by quarter hour or clock hour, GoArmyEd will convert them into semester hours on the application.
- If your school has not been fully integrated into GoArmyEd (i.e., you have to physically enter your courses into each FTA request), then you will need to provide the following documentation, uploaded into your Education Record eFile:
- Cost Verification Statement: document such as a billing statement/invoice specific to you that breaks out the cost of tuition and fees separately
- Class Schedule: document that shows all of the courses with their name, start date, end date, course number and number of credit hours
- All of these documents must have both your name and the name of the school on them and cannot be in an editable format
- After you complete six semester hours of FTA-funded coursework, you will need to provide a documented degree plan/student agreement to GoArmyEd
- This document should list the courses required for completion of your degree, as well as the existing credits that are already being applied toward your degree
For more information:
- Visit your State Education Office
- GoArmyEd Homepage at https://www.goarmyed.com/public/public_goarmyed-education_centers.aspx