91A M1 ABRAMS TANK MAINTAINER
The M-1 Abrams tank system maintainer is primarily responsible for supervising and performing maintenance on Abrams tanks.
- Perform maintenance on the suspension, steering, hydraulic, auxiliary power, fire extinguisher/suppression and gas particulate systems
- Diagnose and troubleshoot malfunctions
Those who want to serve must first take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, a series of tests that helps you better understand your strengths and identify which Army jobs are best for you.
Job training for an M-1 Abrams tank systems maintainer requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and 16 weeks of Advanced Individual Training with on-the-job instructions. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and part in the field.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Electronic and mechanical principles and concepts
- Use of electronic, electrical and mechanical test equipment
- Use of schematics, drawings and wiring diagrams
- Operation, testing and maintenance of weapons systems
- Strong in science and math
- Interest in working with electronic or electrical equipment
- High attention to detail
- Interest in working with diesel and turbine engines
REQUIRED ASVAB SCORE(S)
Mechanical Maintenance (MM) : 99
Mechanical Maintenance (MM) : 88, General Technical (GT) : 92
Learn more about the ASVAB and see what jobs you could qualify for.
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time. Learn more about total compensation.
In the Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for living expenses. Learn more about education benefits.
FUTURE CIVILIAN CAREERS
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career as an electronic mechanic, an avionics technician or a missile facilities repairer with companies that design, build and test weapons for the military.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PAYS) PROGRAM
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experienced and trained Veterans to join their organization.
- AT&T, Inc.
- Hewlett-Packard Company
- Kraft Foods Global, Inc.
- Sears Holdings Corporation
- Time Customer Service, Inc.
- Walgreen Co.