74A CBRN OFFICER
A Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear officer commands the Army branch that specifically defends against the threat of CBRN weapons and Weapons of Mass Destruction. These officers lead an extraordinary chemical unit that is completely dedicated to protecting our nation.
- Command CBRN operations during combat/peacetime
- Coordinate employment of CBRN Soldiers at all levels of command
- Instruct CBRN skills at service schools and training centers
Those who want to serve must first take the Armed Forces Vocational Aptitude Battery, a series of tests that helps you better understand your strengths and identify which Army jobs are best for you.
Job training for a CBRN officer includes completion of the CBRN Basic Officer Leaders Course Phase III, where you will learn leadership skills, tactics and operational aspects used in a chemical platoon. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and in the field.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- CBRN defense procedures and toxic agent training
- Preparing chemical units and serving as a battalion CBRN officer
- HAZMAT Operations Certifications (Department of Defense – accredited)
- Demolition exposures
REQUIRED ASVAB SCORE(S)
General Technical (GT): 110
Self-discipline, confidence and intelligence
Physically and mentally fit to perform under pressure
Ability to make quick decisions
Capable of bearing numerous responsibilities