68X MENTAL HEALTH SPECIALIST
The mental health specialist is primarily responsible for assisting with the management and treatment of inpatient and outpatient mental health activities.
- Collect and record psychosocial and physical data
- Assist with care and treatment of psychiatric, drug and alcohol patients
- Counsel clients/patients with personal, behavioral or psychological problems
Ten weeks of Basic Combat Training and 19 weeks of Advanced Individual Training, including practice of inpatient care. Training length varies depending on specialty.
Advanced Individual Training: 19 weeks, 3 days at Fort Sam Houston, TX
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Patient-care techniques
- Emergency medical techniques
- Enjoy helping and caring for others
- Ability to communicate effectively and work under stressful conditions
- Interest in chemistry, biology, psychology, general science and algebra
- High attention to detail
REQUIRED ASVAB SCORE(S)
Skilled Technical (ST): 101
FUTURE CIVILIAN CAREERS
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career with hospitals, clinics, nursing homes or rehabilitation centers. With a mental health specialist background, you may consider a career as a psychiatrist assistant, medical assistant or physician aide.