68X Behavioral Health Specialist
The mental health specialist is primarily responsible for assisting with the management and treatment of inpatient and outpatient mental health activities.
- Collect and record psychosocial and physical data
- Assist with care and treatment of psychiatric, drug and alcohol patients
- Counsel clients/patients with personal, behavioral or psychological problems
Job training for a mental health specialist requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and 20 weeks of Advanced Individual Training, including practice in-patient care. Training length varies depending on specialty. Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Patient-care techniques
- Emergency medical techniques
- Enjoy helping and caring for others
- Ability to communicate effectively and work under stressful conditions
- Interest in chemistry, biology, psychology, general science and algebra
- High attention to detail
REQUIRED ASVAB SCORE(S)
Skilled Technical (ST) : 101
Learn more about the ASVAB and see what jobs you could qualify for.
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time. Learn more about total compensation.
In the Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for living expenses. Learn more about education benefits.
FUTURE CIVILIAN CAREERS
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career with hospitals, clinics, nursing homes or rehabilitation centers. With a mental health specialist background, you may consider a career as a psychiatrist’s assistant, a medical assistant or a physician’s aide.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PAYS) PROGRAM
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experienced and trained Veterans to join their organization.
- Johns Hopkins Hospital/Health Systems
- NorthCrest Medical Center
- Cleveland Clinic
- Atlantic Health System
- Bell Ambulance, Inc.
- Prince William Health System
- Reliant Medical Group
- Yale-New Haven Hospital
- Baton Rouge General Medical Center