68W HEALTH CARE SPECIALIST
The health care specialist is primarily responsible for providing emergency medical treatment, limited primary care, and health protection and evacuation from a point of injury or illness.
- Administer emergency medical treatment to battlefield casualties
- Assist with outpatient and inpatient care and treatment
- Prepare blood samples for laboratory analysis
- Prepare patients, operating rooms, equipment and supplies for surgery
Ten weeks of Basic Combat Training and 16 weeks of Advanced Individual Training, including practice of inpatient care.
Advanced Individual Training: 16 weeks at Fort Sam Houston, TX
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Patient-care techniques
- Emergency medical techniques
- Methods of sterilizing surgical equipment
- Plaster-casting techniques
- Enjoy helping and caring for others
- Ability to communicate effectively and work under stressful conditions
- Interest in chemistry, biology, psychology, general science and algebra
- High attention to detail
REQUIRED ASVAB SCORE(S)
Skilled Technical (ST): 101
General Technical (GT): 107
FUTURE CIVILIAN CAREERS
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career with civilian hospitals, clinics, nursing homes or rehabilitation centers. With a health care specialist background, you may consider a career as an emergency medical technician, medical assistant, medication aide or physician assistant.
With continued study and experience, you may qualify for certification with the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians as a first responder.