12N CONSTRUCTION EQUIPMENT OPERATOR
Horizontal construction engineers use bulldozers, cranes, graders and other heavy equipment to move tons of earth and material to complete construction projects for the Army. They are also responsible for operating tractors with dozer attachments, scoop loaders, backhoe loaders, hydraulic excavators, motorized graders and scrapers.
- Analyze information on grade stakes and their placement
- Drive bulldozers, road graders and other heavy equipment to level earth
- Clear, grub, strip, excavate, backfill, stockpile and push scraper with tractor crawler
- Cut and spread fill material with scraper
- Transport heavy construction equipment with tractor-trailer
- Assist in performance of combat engineer missions
Ten weeks of Basic Combat Training and nine weeks of Advanced Individual Training. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and part in the field with on-the-job instructions.
Advanced Individual Training: 12 weeks at Fort Leonard Wood, MO
Some of the skills you’ll learn:
- Operation of different types of construction and rough-terrain equipment
- Maintenance and repair of equipment
- Identification of soil types and placement of grade stakes
REQUIRED ASVAB SCORE(S)
General Maintenance (GM): 90
- Interest in operating heavy construction equipment
- Preference for working outdoors
- Interest in working with your hands
WARRANT OFFICER TRACK
120A Utilities Operations and Maintenance Technician
FUTURE CIVILIAN CAREERS
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career with building contractors, state highway agencies, rock quarries, well drillers and construction firms.