I have a question for anyone able to answer it or anyone able to point me in the right direction.
Is there anyway to waiver BCT or do something else other then BCT?
A little background on my situation:
I'm prior service Air National Guard, and I've been out less then one year. Before my ETS date for the Air Force, I had started the process of crossing over to the Army National Guard, Feb. of 2011.
My ETS date was May of 2011.
The recruiter who was doing the paperwork on the Army side while my unit was working on the out-processing and crossing over paperwork. Somewhere during the paperwork process, some documents we not dated or properly filled out. This caused a delay in my processing over to the Army National Guard.
While awaiting the release from the Air Force, my recruiter and I discussed my future career options. I had my eyes set on OCS which I had been told was going to be like basic training all over again and then I was to take tech school depending on my OCS rank. There was no mention or anything of needing to take BCT.
Unfortunately, while awaiting paperwork from my unit, my ETS date passed and I went from Air National Guard to some reserve status. This caused an even longer delay in my release and crossing-over paperwork.
Around June, we (my recruiter and myself) were still awaiting on my release. During this time I had been unemployed and had to leave the state in search of employment. I returned earlier this year and contacted my recruiter to start back up on my paperwork. I had finally been released around Oct of 2011.
When starting back up on my in-processing, the recruiter told me of a new regulation that states prior service have to take BCT. He never mentioned it before so I do believe it is a new regulation.
I am wondering how new of a regulation it is, if there is a grandfather rule to the regulation or if there is any wavier to BCT?
It's not that I do not want to take BCT but it's that I'd prefer not to if at all possible, especially due to my current living circumstances. My girlfriend's dad had to move in so that we could help take care of him (he is a cancer patient/survivor).
So with BCT and OCS both 8 (+) weeks long, to do both would put a lot of strain on everything, and that is a lot when it's someone's parent is on the line.
If anyone has any useful information or could point me in some sort of direction that would be very appreciated and helpful. Now if it is set in stone that BCT must be taken and there is no waiver out of it, then I need to take more time to think about my situation.
Thank you all for your help and input.