X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switch from Active duty to National guard

Currently I am 11B qualified in the active duty army. 3 weeks out of OSUT and ready to start an awesome military career but found out that my battalion isn't deploying for the entire 36 months that Im stationed here and that means I wont deploy my entire career. I don't plan on re enlisting because I was looking forward to returning home and going to school and eventually starting a business. Since I am not deploying I feel as though I am being "cheated" so to speak out of the experience that I signed up for. My current question is this; is it possible for me to switch to national guard from active duty so I can enter a commission program and become an officer. I understand that as an officer I will be forced to extend my contract but the more benefits open to me outweighs the longer obligation to the military. I joined to serve my country, and I feel that sitting here working in motor-pool and picking up cigarette butts from the lawn isn't doing that in the slightest. I need answers, not people telling me that Im giving up or wasting an opportunity, I have already considered that and plan on moving forward with this anyway. Any information would be helpful, thank you very much.

You would need to discuss your options, if any, with your Chain of Command...PERIOD. Because if your unit/active duty is not willing to release you from your contract, there is nothing the Guard can do for you.

Comment

• Chief Kemosabe
      Chief Kemosabe commented
      Editing a comment
      I bet all my pay that they will not even consider a request from someone who is just a few months into his contract. He will get smoked for even asking.

There are plenty of guys in the NG that wish they could transfer to active duty, considering the current troop reduction it is extremely difficult. You just got out of AIT, slow it down. Currently there are no deployments slotted for your unit but a lot can change in 6 months, not to mention 3 years. Fulfill your contract, that will qualify you for 100% post 9/11 GI Bill.

Deployments in the NG are few and far between these days with the draw down in Afghanistan. You have better chances of deploying as active duty than you do as NG. There are also more opportunities military wise on active duty vs the NG. I have rarely heard people wanting to get off active early to get into the NG, I'm not sure that its even possible. But perhaps considering the military is trying to reduce troop numbers.

Now, kick that self entitled attitude to the ******* curb. You are serving the country, what you are doing is what you signed up for. Too bad its not to your liking. But this isn't McDonald's where you can have it your way.

Comment

• SF Hunter
      SF Hunter commented
      Editing a comment
      Explosive Hazard, didn't you mean "Burger King"?

Haha your right, that is a Burger King slogan. Womp.

Comment

+1 to the responses. CMMAEDGE, I am active duty and my former Brigade just left to Afghanistan with just 40 percent of its strength due to Afghanistan winding down. You did not get cheated. You just joined at a time when Iraq is over and Afghanistan will be over at the end of the year. I came back on active duty in 2004 and deployed three times to both Iraq and Afghanistan and some active duty people that I know did not deploy at all; and many went with us to our rotation exercises. It is either luck of the draw or bad luck.

You may go on missions to Africa or somewhere else. Also, now is the best time to attend military schools (e.g. air assault, EIB, pathfinder). Go for it.

You need to learn your craft and be patient. All of the seasoned vets on this forum; had to do what you are doing when we first came in. Also, do you have a bachelor's degree to enter a commissioning program? If not, I suggest that you go to your local education center, enroll in courses and look at the green to gold program for active duty. Good luck.
      Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; March 13th, 2014, 04:23 PM.

Comment

A great deal could happen in three years, for good or ill. Plus, deployments are not always exciting. You could end up counting grains of sand in Kuwait for six months.

Comment

Im sorry if I seem self entitled, I was just disappointed after I heard the news of not being deployed. I want to feel like im serving my country, not wasting time. Im looking to green to gold a long with many more options, my first choice would be switching to the NG using a DD368 and attending college and utilizing the ROTC program, thoughts?

Comment

• Chief Kemosabe
            Chief Kemosabe commented
            Editing a comment
            Another poster about last week asked the same thing about leaving the Active Army to the NG via a DD368 request. Honestly, I do not see it happening. You signed a contract and have to meet it. You need to give the military a chance; unless there is more to the story on what is going on. I think you do not like active duty overall and trying a way to get out of it. Has nothing to do with police call.
        Working...
        X