X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about a recruiter encounter

So I was discharged with the Army in 2006 with an ELS RE-3, and then went into the USMC in 2007. I was discharged for the same thing ELS in 2007. The question I have is that I talked to a recruiter the other day about joining and he said he'd look into it. I only told him about the Marines and he got back to me and said with the RE-3P I got from the Marines we could work with it. I have an appointment coming up and I think I screwed myself by not disclosing the Army as well. What should I do?

Originally posted by liberty1776 View Post
    So I was discharged with the Army in 2006 with an ELS RE-3, and then went into the USMC in 2007. I was discharged for the same thing ELS in 2007. The question I have is that I talked to a recruiter the other day about joining and he said he'd look into it. I only told him about the Marines and he got back to me and said with the RE-3P I got from the Marines we could work with it. I have an appointment coming up and I think I screwed myself by not disclosing the Army as well. What should I do?
    Not to be too blunt, but...being blunt. You have received two ELS separations from two different branches, yet you think this life is still for you because of what reason?

Comment

That's a fair question, you're not being blunt. That was 7 years ago when I was 17/18. Now I don't know about you, but I've made two mistakes in my life. Those were it. At 17/18 some kids are more inclined to be more mature and adapt, I wasn't. I am in my last semester getting a degree, and I am an EMT. I'm also about to start an intership process for a fire department. All in all, my mistakes as a child made me the man I am. I own my mistakes, and have grown from them. Now if I am deemed not able to join then so be it. I just need advice.

Comment

You need to provide all documents of service to your recruiter. So you need to report the 2006 ELS from the Army. Yes, you may be barred or ineligible for entering the service. I am a former active duty Marine and been active duty Army for over 10 years already. What happened? Why are you being separated so early for?

Comment

I was discharged for the same reason in basic training both times. I just wasn't mature enough to adapt to the military at that time. I went to sick call when I was in the Marines during boot and said I couldn't hack it. They reffered me to a pych doctor, evaluated me once and about a week later I was out. My narrative reason for separation is JFV1. Stupid mistakes not thinking of the consequences at the time. I've found another avenue to serve but I would just like to make things right and follow through with my promises before and serve my country.

Comment

Yes, you will get busted. Back in the days when GRAP was still allowed, I had a couple of people who "forgot" to disclose prior service. The recruiter will pull a REDD (or similar) report with a history of all your prior service info. Its used for exactly this purpose as well as determining years of service/pay

Comment

Originally posted by liberty1776 View Post
              Dude, you really need to let any ideas of you joing the military go. You should face reality and accept the fact that the military isn't for you. Two ELS?? c'mon now! :-) Go to college and get yourself educated to open up civilian opportunities that are a good fit for you.

Comment

I have done exactly what you said seldom. Just entertaining the idea, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                X