X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prior service to SF support question

I am currently about 3.5 years into my current enlistment, and 2 years out from ETS from active duty. Even though i am quite a ways out I am looking for information to help steer me in the right direction.

I am currently an 11B1P, active duty, E4. Did 2.5 years with the 173rd ABCT and did a 9 month OEF deployment with them where i got my CIB. I'm currently with 1/509th OPFOR down at JRTC. My original plan was to ETS from active and re-class to intel or whatever MOS is available in order to join the SF support company for 20th SF group out of Louisville, Ky. However, about 6 months ago i got a DUI here at Polk. I didn't receive an Art 15 or any punishment other then a negative counseling and a GOMAR. Do i have any chance of getting into this unit when i ETS or am i pretty much screwed? Any suggested paths to take to try to alleviate the damage i have done to my career or am i destined for leg land?

Thanks for any help.

I responded but my post disappeared.

Comment

I saw that. It showed that you responded but i couldn't see anything.

Comment

Well in a nutshell, I provided this link http://www.soc.mil/USASOCHQ/PSAP.html

I stated that for NCOs and higher, DUIs are career killers but you are young and have time on your side to recover. I doubt that on the AD side, you will be allowed to re-enlist based on it. And you might receive prejudice on the NG side. Your DD-214 with re and separation code will say alot. And to drive on and learn from your mistakes. SF Hunter will be the best person to answer overall on your eligibility.
        Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; February 24th, 2014, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JSharp View Post
          I am currently about 3.5 years into my current enlistment, and 2 years out from ETS from active duty. Even though i am quite a ways out I am looking for information to help steer me in the right direction.

I am currently an 11B1P, active duty, E4. Did 2.5 years with the 173rd ABCT and did a 9 month OEF deployment with them where i got my CIB. I'm currently with 1/509th OPFOR down at JRTC. My original plan was to ETS from active and re-class to intel or whatever MOS is available in order to join the SF support company for 20th SF group out of Louisville, Ky. However, about 6 months ago i got a DUI here at Polk. I didn't receive an Art 15 or any punishment other then a negative counseling and a GOMAR. Do i have any chance of getting into this unit when i ETS or am i pretty much screwed? Any suggested paths to take to try to alleviate the damage i have done to my career or am i destined for leg land?

Thanks for any help.
          If you are eligible for reenlistment with active duty, then the best resource to transition from Active Duty Army to the Army National Guard is to talk with a Reserve Component Career Counselor (RCCC) located on all Army posts, usually in the same location as ACAP or post out processing. They can assist in finding a unit, with open availability, to transition into with the Army National Guard. You can begin the process 180 days prior to your ETS date.

But, if you are not eligible to reenlist with active duty, you will have to work with a Kentucky Army National Guard recruiter to determine your options for enlistment and MOS reclass once you know your discharge condition, ie RE and SPD codes.

I really cant put any light on your potential eligibility for reclassing to a 35 series MOS. I recommend contacting your unit S2 to see if it might be possible to still qualify for a TS/SCI clearance with your past indiscretions.

Comment

So whom would i need to contact in order to find out if i am eligible for reenlistment, as that seems to be the biggest issue at hand. Would the flag/bar show on my ERB?

Comment

If you have a flag, it may be in your ERB. But, the first resource would be your unit's personnel section/S-1 or your unit retention NCO.

Comment

Working...
              X