Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prior Navy with RE-2 & Separation Code KGX

Dear Sir/Ma'am,

I have served honorably for 4 1/2 years in the Navy and was discharged as an E-5 in 1992 with an NROTC scholarship. I attended college for one year and was on extended leave for another year. Upon returning to campus, I told the new commander that I had lost interest and was let go. Since 2010, I have been trying to re-enlist into military components, but all non-Navy recruiters have said because of the RE-2 code on my DD-214, I had to get it changed for there is no waiver that can cover that. But I had contacted the Navy's BCNR for correction of the code, but the board said the code is correct and all I need to do is get a waiver from the military component that I wish to join. So, I am caught in a catch-22 situation and was wondering what course of action do I need to take to return? There is no funny business in my history and I even scored a 95 on the ASVAB then, went to the Navy's Nuclear Power School and then to BOOST. But would like to know what to do to get back into uniform.

Thank you.

Changing an re-code usually requires an act of God

Comment

According to AR 601-210, Table 3-2 U.S. Navy reentry eligibility codes: RE-2 : Not eligible for enlistment.

What is the SPD Code and Narrative Reason for Separation?

Comment

My separation code was KGX: Officer Commission Program. When I was in college, after the first year I had requested a leave of absence. According to the BCNR, the commander at that time requested my disenrollment because there was an administrative error on my paperwork at separation prior becoming a midshipman or before going on leave of absence and that I failed to enroll in a naval science course upon my return. The Chief of Naval Operatons approved the request but further stated, in part, that I was erroneously discharged.

Comment

With all due respect to the Recruiter, they kinda cut off the rest of the info on RE-2.

RE-2- Ineligible for reenlistment. Recommended for renlistment but ineligible because of status: Fleet Reservist Retired (except for transfer to TDRL), Commissioned Officer. Warrant Officer, Midshipman, Cadet.

- Individuals with a Navy/Marine/Coast Guard RE Code of "2" may usually reenlist in their service or another service with various restrictions, or if the circumstances which resulted in the code no longer apply.

If you are like me, then the case should be made that you are no longer a 'cadet/midshipman' and your reserve obligation has ended. Depending on when you entered BOOST and then college, you can verify your reserve obligation termination date on your DD-214. You SHOULD NOT need to have the code changed, just prove it no longer applies.

Good luck to you on this. I have been researching this for myself as I want to join the National Guard, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Gundam07th View Post
            Dear Sir/Ma'am,

I have served honorably for 4 1/2 years in the Navy and was discharged as an E-5 in 1992 with an NROTC scholarship. I attended college for one year and was on extended leave for another year. Upon returning to campus, I told the new commander that I had lost interest and was let go. Since 2010, I have been trying to re-enlist into military components, but all non-Navy recruiters have said because of the RE-2 code on my DD-214, I had to get it changed for there is no waiver that can cover that. But I had contacted the Navy's BCNR for correction of the code, but the board said the code is correct and all I need to do is get a waiver from the military component that I wish to join. So, I am caught in a catch-22 situation and was wondering what course of action do I need to take to return? There is no funny business in my history and I even scored a 95 on the ASVAB then, went to the Navy's Nuclear Power School and then to BOOST. But would like to know what to do to get back into uniform.

Thank you.

Just let any dreams/ideas you have of re-entry into the military rest. Just get your civilian act together and make your dreams come true with hard work, planning, commitment, diligence, and consistency.

Comment

Working...
            X