X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRIOR SERVICE LOOKING AT 15W WITH THE NATIONAL GUARD

I SERVED 4 YRS IN AIR FORCE, I AM CURRENTLY FINISHING UP MY PILOT LICENSES AND GETTING MY DEGREE. UNFORTUNATELY NONE OF THAT WILL HELP OR MAKE IT EASIER TO JOIN AS A UAV OPERATOR. MY ONLY OPTION IS GOING GUARD, BUT GUARD DOES HAVE ANY FULL TIME GUARD POSITION FOR UAV OPERATOR, RIGHT? AFTER GOING TO AIT AND RETURNING HOME WHAT ARE THE OPTIONS? IS THERE A POSSIBILITY TO DO THIS FULL TIME? MAYBE SOMEONE WITH THE EXPERIENCE CAN TELL ME WHAT THEY BEEN DOING. I AM FIGHTING TIME BECAUSE I AM 32 YRS OLD AND DON'T HAVE THE TIME TO GO WARRANT OFFICER AND I DO WANNA STAY IN AVIATION. I HAVE DONE MY RESEARCH ON UAV OPERATORS IT SOUNDS AND LOOKS LIKE I WOULD DEFINITELY ENJOY DOING.

I HAVE BEEN TALKING TO RECRUITER BUT RESERVE DOESN'T HAVE ANY UAV OPERATORS SLOTS AND I CANT GO ACTIVE DUTY SINCE I AM PRIOR SERVICE.

WHAT CAN YOU GUYS RECOMMEND? WHAT ARE SOME EXPERIENCES?

Contact a local Guard Recruiter.

My guess is you will have a difficult time finding a UAV Operator slot anywhere, let alone any type of full time UAV Operator position. There are some full time Guard positions, AGR and Tech, but they are few and far between.

The first thing I ask a Prior Service Air Force or Navy Servicemember is, Do you realize you're required to attend and complete Army Basic Training? That's usually a deal breaker, but if not, I wish you the best of luck!!

Comment

• tavio
      tavio commented
      Editing a comment
      Well I haven't talked to a Guard Recruiter yet but that's what I will try to do today. They did mention that I will have to do 4 weeks of basic training which isn't really a big deal, I'm more interested in making sure i find the slot and know what to expect once I've the 23 weeks of AIT. I would think that with the training and my pilot license I would find a civilian job a lot easier.

RE: tavio. Do not create another topic/thread asking the same questions that you have already asked here. I deleted the others because of duplication.

Oh and by the way, Army Basic Combat Training (BCT) is now 10 weeks long.

Comment

We have a UAS platoon in my state, not sure how many others are out there in other states though. We usually don't have many, if any, open slots in that unit though. It's a pretty sought after MOS, being billed as the "future" of the military. It's especially popular with the younger soldiers. I can tell you at 32, you'd probably be the oldest in the unit. A full-time position in a UAS unit would be very unlikely. Most full-time slots would be for things like supply or admin NCO's, which are AGR and not going to be filled by someone just coming in to the guard. Even if you did get one of those slots, you wouldn't be flying UAS daily. You'd fly enough to get your time in to make your training progression but thats it. If you're looking for a way to fly on a daily basis, the Guard is probably the wrong choice.

Comment

Working...
      X