X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Service

Here is a little background to my question. I was a Chaplain Candidate in the Army National Guard before I resigned my commission/s. As a Chaplain Candidate I was non-deployable but drilled and did annual training just like any other M-Day(Traditional) Guard soldier and received retirement points credit. I was honorably discharged and received my NGB 22. On the top as it always does it stated “Record of Service in the Army National Guard of my state and AS a Reserve of the Army. Now I understand that all National Guard officers have a state commission and a federal commission, as well as being a member of the Army National Guard of my state AND the Army National Guard of the US. Recently however I ran into someone who told me that because I never deployed I was never in the US Army reserve component, and that I had only been a state militia soldier. I have researched and researched both Title 32 and Title 10 as well as relevant court cases, and have only ended up confused some sources say I was doing Reserve service(Ready Reserve/Selected Reserve), other say I wasn’t unless I was mobilized under Title 10. My question is was I doing US Army reserve service or was I “solely” state militia ? Hoping someone can answer this for me.

Re: Question about Service

Moving thread

Comment

You had a dual status as state militia and a reserve of the Army.

Where are we going with this? What do you want to do with this answer?

Comment

I don't want it for any kind of benefits or monetary gain. Just for peace of mind that I did indeed serve my country as an Army reserve component officer. Just wanted to make sure I was correct when I told the person I was serving as both a state militia officer and reserve officer of the Army. Because of the whole "only being in one status at a time" I wanted to make sure I was doing reserve service but under state command along with state militia service.

Comment

You did Chap. Here is the top of my NGB 22 when I left NG for AD. Non-deployable status is irrelevant. I was never non-deployable when I was in the Guard and my top line is the same as yours (except State possibly).

That is how the certificate is typed up when you leave the Guard. You were not in the state militia.

It is all semantics. When I received my warrant for WO1, during my time as a WO1, I was placed on the Army Reserve list for accountability purposes; even though I was AD. When I picked up CW2, my ORB reflected that I was on the Active Army rolls.
          Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; September 26th, 2013, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Yep you served in our neighbor to the south Chief. Thank You for the help. BTW I had great respect and admiration for the Warrant Officers I served with.

Comment

Originally posted by mkchap View Post
              Yep you served in our neighbor to the south Chief. Thank You for the help. BTW I had great respect and admiration for the Warrant Officers I served with.
              No problem LT. I do this for free but accept donations. PM me your credit card info lol

BTW, I am a native New Yorker but I do say Cahh at times and say the word Talk as Tawk lol
              Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; September 26th, 2013, 02:52 PM.

Comment

"You were not in the state militia." -Chief I'm assuming you meant to say not solely state militia? Just asking so I'm clear

Comment

Yes, the Guard is considered State Militia but I was referring to the organizations (state militias) under the state but not part of the Army National Guard. You know, those units that wear uniforms like ours but instead of saying US Army on theirs; it shows their state. So yes, you had state and federal recognition as a Commissioned Officer in the Mass National Guard.

Here is a photo of a Colonel in the California State Militia.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CD0Q9QEwAw

Comment

Ok so i was doing state service as a member of the State National Guard AND Army reserve component service in as a member of the ARNGUS but I was under state command and title 32 unless I deployed.? I think I understand now.

Comment

Working...
                    X