Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prior Service Enlistment

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Prior Service Enlistment

    I was honorable discharged from the marines after serving my 4 years but I noticed on my dd214 my discharge code was one that basically stated I was overweight when discharged. I looked up the code it was RE-3P. I was not discharged however because of my weight so I do not know why this code was entered on my reenlistment code.Would this hinder me from enlisting in the National Guard? Would I have to have a waiver just like if I was joining fulltime Army service? If I do need a waiver how difficult would this be to obtain?
    Last edited by jpetty; September 19th, 2013, 03:02 AM.

  • #2
    Re: Prior Service Enlistment

    The discharge of RE-3P requires a waiver. What is your Seperation Code and Narrative Reason for Separation? When did you ETS?

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Prior Service Enlistment

      Originally posted by NYGuardRecruiter View Post
      The discharge of RE-3P requires a waiver. What is your Seperation Code and Narrative Reason for Separation? When did you ETS?
      The seperation code is MBK1 and the narrative says completion of required active service. I seperation on 9/2010 and my reserve termination date is 12/2013
      Last edited by jpetty; September 19th, 2013, 03:10 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Prior Service Enlistment

        Originally posted by jpetty View Post
        The seperation code is MBK1 and the narrative says completion of required active service. I seperation on 9/2010 and my reserve termination date is 12/2013
        NYGuardRecruiter will give you the skinny.

        But, this is typical of many prior service Marines before you. Most likely your chain-of-command wasn't too thrilled with you not wanting to re-enlist, so they figured to hook you up with a less than favorable RE code. Even though your reason for discharge was simply completing your enlistment contract, ie EAS/ETS. I have seen and talked with prior Marines that were given RE-4s with an MBK1 SPD code. Your SPD code/Narrative reason trumps your RE code, you should be able to obtain an admin waiver with little or no problem.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Prior Service Enlistment

          Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
          NYGuardRecruiter will give you the skinny.

          But, this is typical of many prior service Marines before you. Most likely your chain-of-command wasn't too thrilled with you not wanting to re-enlist, so they figured to hook you up with a less than favorable RE code. Even though your reason for discharge was simply completing your enlistment contract, ie EAS/ETS. I have seen and talked with prior Marines that were given RE-4s with an MBK1 SPD code. Your SPD code/Narrative reason trumps your RE code, you should be able to obtain an admin waiver with little or no problem.
          I never understood why I received that code as it wasn't the reason for my seperation. Would getting a waiver be easier in any branch with an admin waiver or is the national guard more lenient? I was always first class in physical training and combat training but I'm a former football player bulky not lean. The marines are just more strict about their guidelines. I'm debating between guard, army reserves it active army.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Prior Service Enlistment

            Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
            NYGuardRecruiter will give you the skinny.

            But, this is typical of many prior service Marines before you. Most likely your chain-of-command wasn't too thrilled with you not wanting to re-enlist, so they figured to hook you up with a less than favorable RE code. Even though your reason for discharge was simply completing your enlistment contract, ie EAS/ETS. I have seen and talked with prior Marines that were given RE-4s with an MBK1 SPD code. Your SPD code/Narrative reason trumps your RE code, you should be able to obtain an admin waiver with little or no problem.
            Spot on. If the USMC can't have you, then no one should be able to.

            With the MBK it shouldn't even require a waiver. Your Recruiter will likely need to bring it to the attention of the MEPS GC. If you're still in the IRR the Recruiter will need to get you released, a fairly quick & simple process.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Prior Service Enlistment

              Originally posted by NYGuardRecruiter View Post
              Spot on. If the USMC can't have you, then no one should be able to.

              With the MBK it shouldn't even require a waiver. Your Recruiter will likely need to bring it to the attention of the MEPS GC. If you're still in the IRR the Recruiter will need to get you released, a fairly quick & simple process.
              That's great to know. When I called and told a recruiter that I had re3p for weight they basically told me army wasn't giving waivers to much right now. If I don't need a waiver though this may help increase my chances of being able to reenlist. Thank you both

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Prior Service Enlistment

                You are not the first Marine to experience this and certainly won't be the last.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Prior Service Enlistment

                  Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                  You are not the first Marine to experience this and certainly won't be the last.
                  Well the recruiter called me back today and he wasn't very helpful. He told me I would need a waiver for the RE code and the service code didn't change that. So basically I'm sol as waivers aren't being given out barely ever right now. Well damn

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Prior Service Enlistment

                    He's wrong. Find a Recruiter that is more knowledgeable or one willing to do a little bit of research.

                    What State are you located in?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Prior Service Enlistment

                      Originally posted by NYGuardRecruiter View Post
                      He's wrong. Find a Recruiter that is more knowledgeable or one willing to do a little bit of research.

                      What State are you located in?
                      I'm in Arizona

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Prior Service Enlistment

                        Unfortunately I don't know any Recruiters in AZ.

                        I would call every Recruiter in AZ until you find one knowledgeable and willing to put you in.

                        In reading your original post, you mentioned your reserve termination is 12/2013. Are you in the Marine Reserves or IRR?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Prior Service Enlistment

                          Originally posted by NYGuardRecruiter View Post
                          Unfortunately I don't know any Recruiters in AZ.

                          I would call every Recruiter in AZ until you find one knowledgeable and willing to put you in.

                          In reading your original post, you mentioned your reserve termination is 12/2013. Are you in the Marine Reserves or IRR?
                          IRR that was just my reserve termination date

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Prior Service Enlistment

                            Originally posted by NYGuardRecruiter View Post
                            Unfortunately I don't know any Recruiters in AZ.

                            I would call every Recruiter in AZ until you find one knowledgeable and willing to put you in.

                            In reading your original post, you mentioned your reserve termination is 12/2013. Are you in the Marine Reserves or IRR?
                            I am going to be trying to contact other recruiters later this week on my day off. Thank you for all your help.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Prior Service Enlistment

                              Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
                              But, this is typical of many prior service Marines before you. Most likely your chain-of-command wasn't too thrilled with you not wanting to re-enlist, so they figured to hook you up with a less than favorable RE code. Even though your reason for discharge was simply completing your enlistment contract, ie EAS/ETS. I have seen and talked with prior Marines that were given RE-4s with an MBK1 SPD code. Your SPD code/Narrative reason trumps your RE code, you should be able to obtain an admin waiver with little or no problem.
                              Wow, is this serious? I told my chain of command I was reenlisting, went to DM and Sniper school after my second deployment, and then changed my mind at the last second (literally, as I was signing my papers) because of the changes to the Corps and how my unit was treating its NCOs. My First Sergeant ripped up my Sniper school certificate in front of me and sent me back to a line unit to PT new guys until I got out. My only punishment is not having that certificate, which honestly really f*cking sucks.

                              I would have raised hell if my RE code was anything but 1A. I mean, enough hell to probably get a dishonorable discharge haha.

                              This is exactly why I got out. Screwing over exemplary Marines because they choose to walk a different path. F that.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X