X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to get in the OR. Guard

I'm a 42 year old male, honorably discharged, with 6 years active and 2 years reserve who is trying to get back in. Recruiters tell me that my age is a gap that can not be bridged (paraphrasing). I have no arrest history, I held a secret clearance while in, I was a medic (91BP1A) and I'd like to reclassify as a Scout, Infantryman or a F.O. I also had a ankle surgery, but I'm back up to speed physically (I climb mountains so that I can ski them, I ride 100 mile mountain bike races and run on a regular basis).

My question is, who can I contact regarding a personal request for enlistment to the Guard? Sounds like my Congressman would be a dead end and the recruiters thank that it's lost cause. I'll gladly show up in someone's office and plead my case, provided that I had a snowballs chance of success. But, again, who would I approach/contact?..

I'm reading conflicting information regarding age cut off, (one site said that as long as I can retire by age 60, I'm good to go, and the other said that I have to have joined by my 35th birthday) and I know that there is always a loophole, provided that I can convince someone that I'm a worthy risk.

So, thoughts?... Thanks in advance.

Re: Trying to get in the OR. Guard

Originally posted by Jeff Katz View Post
    I'm a 42 year old male, honorably discharged, with 6 years active and 2 years reserve who is trying to get back in. Recruiters tell me that my age is a gap that can not be bridged (paraphrasing). I have no arrest history, I held a secret clearance while in, I was a medic (91BP1A) and I'd like to reclassify as a Scout, Infantryman or a F.O. I also had a ankle surgery, but I'm back up to speed physically (I climb mountains so that I can ski them, I ride 100 mile mountain bike races and run on a regular basis).

My question is, who can I contact regarding a personal request for enlistment to the Guard? Sounds like my Congressman would be a dead end and the recruiters thank that it's lost cause. I'll gladly show up in someone's office and plead my case, provided that I had a snowballs chance of success. But, again, who would I approach/contact?..

I'm reading conflicting information regarding age cut off, (one site said that as long as I can retire by age 60, I'm good to go, and the other said that I have to have joined by my 35th birthday) and I know that there is always a loophole, provided that I can convince someone that I'm a worthy risk.

So, thoughts?... Thanks in advance.
    Were your 2 years drilling reserve time or IRR time?

Comment

Prior Service members processing for the Reserve Components (Army Reserve/Army National Guard): after member is given credit for total prior service (Active and Reserve Component) the member must be able to qualify for non-regular retired pay by age 60.

So, after subtracting your prior service years from your current age (42). You must have enough time to complete a TOTAL of 20 years service by age 60. The problem is, that their are still recruiters out there that think the cut-off is 35.

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
        Prior Service members processing for the Reserve Components (Army Reserve/Army National Guard): after member is given credit for total prior service (Active and Reserve Component) the member must be able to qualify for non-regular retired pay by age 60.

So, after subtracting your prior service years from your current age (42). You must have enough time to complete a TOTAL of 20 years service by age 60. The problem is, that their are still recruiters out there that think the cut-off is 35.
        This and turning away prior service with a VA rating of 30% or higher are the two biggest misconceptions recruiters can never get.

Comment

Location? Which recruiter are you currently talking to?

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post

Bingo! You're eligible. Expect the MEPS physical to take a little longer and possibly require a med waiver regardless of how far you ride your mountain bike. The Over-40 physical has additional requirements and 99% of the time the cholesterol or blood sugar levels require a quick med waiver be approved.

Contact another Recruiter until you find one that has a clue!

Best of luck!!!

Comment

Jeff Katz,
              You meet the age criteria with prior service at this time and provided you meet the rest of the eligibility requirements you could potentially re enlist. Please call us at 1-800-Go-Guard (1800-464-8273). We would be happy to answer your questions, go over your eligibility and get you in contact with your local recruiter if you wish to move forward.

Comment

Working...
              X