X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ****** pretty hard. Need advice.

Hello all. I am a PE Marine that joined the Guard almost 2 months ago. My recruiter (I know, mistake #1 was listening to anything he said) told me that I'd be going to my MOS school between 2 weeks and a month of joining. After 40 days of pestering I FINALLY got the the number for the training NCO here, who was at the time on leave. Today I got a hold of him, 52 days after enlisting and now he's telling me I can't go to school until February (yes, the one that's 7 months away) and I'm going to spend that time in RSP.

What are my options here? I'm not a quitter and don't plan on it, but this change of plan seriously ***** with everything I had going. College, ROTC, my job.... all planned around me leaving sometime in August, or this year at least.

Can I get full-time Guard for such a short time? Can I even do that without an MOS? Why are they sending an E4 PE Marine to RSP, which I hear is for guys that haven't even been to boot camp yet, instead of to his unit to start on the job training?

What I don't need is a thread full of SUCK IT UP SOLDIER! I got it, if I have no options I'm just going to have to wait it out and make the best of it, but there HAS to be something else I can do until then.

Re: ****** pretty hard. Need advice.

Did you READ your contract? If your reservation for AIT was not what your recruiter said it would be then that would have been the time to raise hell. If that's in fact what happened.......DRIVE ON!!!!

Depending on your state(and probably MOS), you may or may not be able to get out of RSP. When I enlisted 5 years ago I was a 15G. I was no good to my shop without the training, and they definitely weren't going to let me within 50 yards of a UH-60. That perhaps could be your situation as well.

Comment

There was no reservation for AIT on my contract, I didn't know there needed to be. I was promised by mouth, I thought I could trust another Marine's words.

My MOS is 68W, and I could do the job without the school (not officially, obviously). I'm an EMT as well as CLS and Live Tissue certified in the USMC, this school will be a walk in the park for me.

Comment

I am a former Marine and do not know what a PE Marine is. Also, why are you in RSP if you are a prior service Marine? You should just start drilling with your unit. I got back in the Guard in '98 as a combat engineer and then I switched to human resources technician. I had to wait years until I started MOS-T school but was slotted as such and drilled with the unit. Obviously, I could not get promoted until MOS-Qed.

Comment

Does PE mean Prior Enlisted?

Comment

Pretty enthusiastic.

Just kidding, prior enlisted. Started using that acronym after checking it on so many rotc forms.

I guess prior service is the correct term to use here.

Comment

I guess more than anything is I took a rank demotion for a 68w slot and can't promote until I graduate. Plus, I have air assault on my contract "after successful completion of mos school" so now that's even farther away

Comment

Something isn't right. You should NOT be in RSP. The only PS soldiers that go through RSP are PS Navy or Air Force.

Maybe there is some confusion. You should be drilling with the unit you enlisted into and awaiting a training date for 68W AIT.

Comment

NYGR, I was confused by that as well. I can't imagine prior service and being stuck with maggots at RSP for 7 months. Geez at least drill with an infantry unit until the ship date.

Comment

Judging by all your answers I'm thinking the SFC that gave me my school date and talked to me about drill may have just given me the wrong info on what I'll be doing at drill. Guess I'll find out in a month at the next drill.

A lot of my friends had the same reaction as me. I've done my boot, combat tours, been an NCO for 3+ years, it does seem really strange to throw me in a platoon full of guys that haven't even been to boot camp... unless for some reason I'm leading it, which in some ways I guess would make sense as it would give me a job to do until I have a job to do.

Checked USAJobs, which is where I was told all the full time jobs would be posted and unfortunately there are only 3 available at the moment and I don't qualify for any of them.

I'm glad everyone has the same "RSP wut lol" attitude as I do, I'm pretty sure it was just a generic answer given to me by someone who wanted me out of their office.

My last question is, there are 2 68W AIT dates in August that are currently overbooked according to the training NCO. Should I keep pestering him to see if I can squeeze in somewhere, is there even a chance I can get in on those dates, or should I just shut that dream down and focus on doing other things until Feb?

Comment

My last question is, there are 2 68W AIT dates in August that are currently overbooked according to the training NCO. Should I keep pestering him to see if I can squeeze in somewhere, is there even a chance I can get in on those dates, or should I just shut that dream down and focus on doing other things until Feb?
                      Yes but you would literally have to be ready to go within a day or two of the start date of the class. If you can't/don't want that, then stick with your reserved seat.

I can see you’re frustrated about this but while Feb is a ways off; at least you got a seat. I’ve seen many prior service Soldiers have to reclass again because they couldn’t get school seats.

Comment

Originally posted by USMCLong View Post
                        Judging by all your answers I'm thinking the SFC that gave me my school date and talked to me about drill may have just given me the wrong info on what I'll be doing at drill. Guess I'll find out in a month at the next drill.

A lot of my friends had the same reaction as me. I've done my boot, combat tours, been an NCO for 3+ years, it does seem really strange to throw me in a platoon full of guys that haven't even been to boot camp... unless for some reason I'm leading it, which in some ways I guess would make sense as it would give me a job to do until I have a job to do.

Checked USAJobs, which is where I was told all the full time jobs would be posted and unfortunately there are only 3 available at the moment and I don't qualify for any of them.

I'm glad everyone has the same "RSP wut lol" attitude as I do, I'm pretty sure it was just a generic answer given to me by someone who wanted me out of their office.

Talk to your recruiter or cadre and ask for ''early shipping'' at least that is a option in PR's NG. Not sure if you have it stateside.

Comment

If you are prior service, I have no idea why you would be in RSP in the first place. Usually you are assigned a unit right away, so why are you not drilling with your unit? Have you actually spoken to anyone there? School may take some time to get because so many others are having the same issue, but you do have a slot, that is half the battle. Your Unit MAY be able to help find a date closer, but be ready to take it no matter what or you lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SpcBlanco View Post
                            Talk to your recruiter or cadre and ask for ''early shipping'' at least that is a option in PR's NG. Not sure if you have it stateside.
                            He's prior service and his recruiter has no say in when he goes to AIT. His AIT is driven by his unit and whether or not they can get him a school seat.

Comment

I'm going to pester the training NCO more and try to get a spot in August. Both available classes start before this semester does, so if I get the slot being ready to go is 0 problem. He told me yesterday that there were slots available for the class than began yesterday, and thought I was joking when I said I'd hop in my truck right now and be at Ft Sam Houston in 13 hours.

I also talked to a Sgt in my receiving unit who said I will NOT be in RSP, that that was a slip of the tongue from a guy that's only dealt with new joins and other service switchovers that had to do basic still. I will be drilling with my unit learning medical skills from the other medics until I get to AIT.

Thanks for all the advice. I always love how guys on this forum are very knowledgeable and helpful.

Comment

Working...
                              X