X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miracle? getting back in ?

background, 9 years in the Guard, E-5 when I went to IRR in 92, ETS expired in 97. The medical problem I have is sleep apnea. I had the big surgery in 2007. It didn't work. Now, I've got a better ENT doc. She will most likely suggest I have a Septoplasty, which is another surgery, to remove a mass behind my nose which is causing my sleep apnea.

Let's say a miracle occurs and after the surgery I can pass a sleep test 100%, with no episodes of waking up during the night. Then the body starts to naturally want to get back to the weight it is supposed to be, and I work out like crazy. I already eat reasonably well. I lose 30+ pounds. At that point I would be a 49 year old prior serviceman within 10 pounds of the height/weight table.

I believe I would have to go to basic? No problem, I've got time. I'm a teacher. Also, physical fitness level, no problem. I found out in 2010 that I have the heart of an athlete. I trained for several months and ran a half-marathon.

I would agree to any MOS I could qualify for.

This reminds me of the funny saying, in that movie that I can't remember. One guy is talking about how the chances are like a million to one, and so the other guy says "So, you're saying there's a chance?"

Thanks

Re: Miracle? getting back in ?

The movie is Dumb and Dumber. You been posting here for a while and you are still trying to get in. That is amazing. Did you get your sleep apnea while serving? That is (what I heard) and automatic 50 percent rating from the VA.

Comment

yes, I checked youtube after I put this up and saw the clip. Incredibly funny. Interestingly enough, while I was training for my half-marathon I thought of trying to get back in, but never pursued it, because I knew the apnea would disqualify me. I never seriously considered trying to get back in until I thought about the very faint possiblity that this new surgery might cure the apnea.

Of course I don't really know anybody whose apnea has actually been cured. So, in reality I guess the chances of curing sleep apnea are probably about 1,000,000 to one and then the odds start to calculate for actually getting in the guard.

I don't remember being sleepy at work until the late 1990s, so no $ from the VA.

Comment

And if you have never served "active" time outside your NG drills and AT; then you are not considered a "veteran" under current law. We have discussed that to death on this forum.

So I guess you have two years to sign-up until you are no longer eligible. What is your main reason for returning?

Also, a mil dot com article on sleep apnea entitlement abuse http://www.military.com/benefits/201...ims-abuse.html

Comment

[QUOTE=Chief Kemosabe;188239]And if you have never served "active" time outside your NG drills and AT; then you are not considered a "veteran" under current law. We have discussed that to death on this forum.[QUOTE]

What am I missing. How is this relevant to the topic?

Comment

Is there a question here? Why don't you just go talk to a recruiter?

Comment

[QUOTE=realitycheck;188241][QUOTE=Chief Kemosabe;188239]And if you have never served "active" time outside your NG drills and AT; then you are not considered a "veteran" under current law. We have discussed that to death on this forum.

What am I missing. How is this relevant to the topic?
              Cmon Mr Incognito, are you that bored on a Sunday? Is it relevant to get banned countless times and keep returning?
              Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; July 21st, 2013, 06:29 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Chief Kemosabe;188246][QUOTE=realitycheck;188241]
                Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                And if you have never served "active" time outside your NG drills and AT; then you are not considered a "veteran" under current law. We have discussed that to death on this forum.

Cmon Mr Incognito, are you that bored on a Sunday? Is it relevant to get banned countless times and keep returning?
                As long as my facts are straight, then yes it is relevant. I have permission to be here, and where I am on a sunday is quite boring actually. I wasn't throwing you a zinger (like you just threw me) I was asking because it seems like there is a fact of some sort I am not tracking with and it seemed like you were implying you have to get veteran status to get VA disability, which is not true but I wasn't sure if that was what you meant. Now play nice Chief.

Comment

I am at a Hispanic Festival and it is so hotttttt over here. I had to get in the shade and enjoy the forum posts. It's a beautiful day in Colorado.

Comment

So I guess you have two years to sign-up until you are no longer eligible. What is your main reason for returning?

Also, a mil dot com article on sleep apnea entitlement abuse http://www.military.com/benefits/201...ims-abuse.html
                    I just read most of that article. It makes sense to me that they don't need disability if they use a mask successfully. I have a lot of trouble with the mask. Don't get me wrong, having the mask is better than nothing at all. I completed another sleep study at the Dr. office recently and had the best night of sleep in probably 15 years. That night of sleep only contained about 6% of REM sleep, which I believe is low. I can't imagine how good life would be with complete restful sleep.

I want back in to serve my country and state. I would also like to complete my 20 years, if possible. I've always wanted these things, but I never held out any hope, until this idea of a Septoplasty occurred. If the Dr. recommends, I will still get the Septoplasty, regardless of the NG. It would be the most incredible cherry on top, if NG service were possible as well.

As to somebody's suggestion to call a recruiter, I don't think I would even attempt a call unless I had completed the operation and were feeling much better. When you say I have two years to sign up, do you mean that the max age is 62 now?

I might have read that at some point, but don't remember.

Thanks

Comment

51-9=42 and a recruiter can confirm you have up to that age to enlist based on your post. You can always a recruiter to see if your condition and subsequent surgery will require a waiver.

Comment

Yes,
                        I was diagnosed with sleep apnea right after I left AD. I had the basic surgery and when I wanted to get back into the military I had to get another sleep study completed and signed off by both the ENT as well as the sleep Dr. That is all the recruiter had to do to get me back in, no waivers, etc.

Comment

51-9=42 and a recruiter can confirm you have up to that age to enlist based on your post. You can always a recruiter to see if your condition and subsequent surgery will require a waiver.
                          So, theoretically I could be age 51 and enlist to enable me to serve my last 11 years. Based on this info., I will check with a recruiter about the age thing. I'm 48 now, will be 49 in December, so it looks like I've got a little time. I figure it will take me 6-8 months to lose the weight.

Thanks Chief.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine2Guard View Post
                            Yes,
                            I was diagnosed with sleep apnea right after I left AD. I had the basic surgery and when I wanted to get back into the military I had to get another sleep study completed and signed off by both the ENT as well as the sleep Dr. That is all the recruiter had to do to get me back in, no waivers, etc.
                            Wow! This is great news. If you don't mind, about what year did you get back in. I wonder if things have changed, that's all.

Comment

I got back in 2009.

Comment

Working...
                              X