X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can retired active duty join?

I took early retirement from the Air Force due to BRAC. Can I join the guard? If so, how does that affect my retirement?

Re: Can retired active duty join?

Originally posted by Diana View Post
    I took early retirement from the Air Force due to BRAC. Can I join the guard? If so, how does that affect my retirement?
    Diana, If you were retired from active federal service (AFS) and currently receiving retirement pay and benefits. You are no longer eligible for military service, to include reserve.

AR 601-210, 12 MAR 2013
    Paragraph 4-23. Nonwaivable disqualifying separations or discharges
    i. Retirement after 20 years of active Federal Service.
    m. Applicant for retirement and persons receiving retired, retirement, or retainer pay, except for combat-wounded
    personnel (see chap 5, sec XIII). This prohibition is not applicable to reservists who are members of the Retired
    Reserve and who are not receiving retired, retirement, or retainer pay.

Comment

I understand if I had a full 20 years in before retirement. However, I retired early due to BRAC with only 16 years in. Is there a way to freeze/disband early retirements? The reference you posted is for Retirement after 20 years of active duty.
      Last edited by Diana; June 25th, 2013, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SF Hunter View Post
        m. Applicant for retirement and persons receiving retired, retirement, or retainer pay, except for combat-wounded personnel (see chap 5, sec XIII). This prohibition is not applicable to reservists who are members of the Retired
        Reserve and who are not receiving retired, retirement, or retainer pay.
        See sub-paragraph m.

Comment

What is your reenlistment eligibility (RE) code (Line 27) and separation code (Line 26) on your DD 214 discharge form, member copy 4?

Comment

OK, thank you....Should have never retired....still in my blood

Comment

OK, thank you....Should have never retired....still in my blood
              Was it voluntary under TERA or were you passed over?

I am active duty and debating the issue myself.

Comment

Hard to read but I think it says 2V?

Comment

It was voluntary due to base closure. They offered it to anyone with 15 years service. I took it because my daughter did not want to leave here. She is now out of school so the choice is mine again.
                  Last edited by Diana; June 25th, 2013, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Hard to read but I think it says 2V?
                    Its more likely 2Y, from the Air Force.

What is your SPD code (Line 26)?

Comment

I hoped Army Guard had different rules on the issue than active duty and reserve.

Comment

I can't read the SPD code at all. The copy I have here at work is horrible. I am currently a DOD employee so I will look in my Electronic Personnel File and see if it's better in there.

Comment

I can't read the SPD code at all. The copy I have here at work is horrible. I am currently a DOD employee so I will look in my Electronic Personnel File and see if it's better in there.
                          So I see that you are all set. Why would you want to return to the Guard and only earn minimal points that would not really make a difference in overall retirement? I left the Guard to Active Army because I wanted to maximize my military retirement before returning to the civilian sector. You are good to go with medical and commissary benefits so really why return?

Comment

Furlough.....Reduction in Force....I have worked Human Resources as a Civil Service Employee for quite a while. Straight civilian Civil Service jobs are few and far between anymore. Seems most opportunities out there require you to be in the guard or reserve. Civil Service is not like the military. I would return to active duty if I could. And.....Federal Spending cutbacks are making it hard to get anywhere in civil service. If you want to continue working for the government after active duty I suggest you don't retire and either go Active Guard or Air Reserve Technician (ART). Civilian positions have been shrinking for years and replaced with contractors, guard, and reserve technicians. Reasons to not retire is if you go civil service as a retiree your years of service will not count towards civil service retirement annuity unless you sign a document stating that you give up your active retirement for civil service retirement. Basically you have to chose one or the other. Also, Your time does not count towards your service computation date which effects leave benefits and many local benefits such as shift preference, etc. (depending on your shop, base, or Union policy. However, if you transfer to reserves or guard and get a civil service position (including an ART) your prior service is counted towards your service computation date. You can get a lot of info from OPM.gov and VA Handbook. Also info can be found on USAJOBS.gov.
                            Last edited by Diana; June 25th, 2013, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Let me tell ya, that the Guard is feeling the effects of the furlough and reduction in force.

We almost had to reduce our MUTAs per year due to funding. We used to be able to send people to schools AND annual training, but now if you have WLC, ALC, SLC, or such, you go to that school in lieu of AT.

Comment

Working...
                              X