Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discharged from NAVY - Want in the NG Badly HELP!!!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discharged from NAVY - Want in the NG Badly HELP!!!

Hello there.. I will start off by saying I would really love to enlist in the National Guard ASAP. I want in so badly but not for sure that is even an option for me. So here is my delimma, Please help me out in any way if you can.. In 1997 I received an other than honorable discharge from the Navy for asthma. Although I do not have it. I have never been to the doctor for it, never used an inhaler before, and never have had any breathing problems before. I was an avid ciggerate smoker prior to enlistment. Basic Training was in Chicago - Great Lakes in the dead of winter. I had caught the flu so was sent to the doctor. They say I could have stayed and faught it but being younger at the time and didn't want to be left behind my original shipmates I did not do so, wish I had of now..
    I want in the National Guard very badly and was wondering if anyone out there could provide any information or might know anyone that might be able to help through this process if any options are even out there. I was thinking maybe pass a Pulmonary Function Test to prove I dont have it and then go through some type of wavier.. Any and all help would be greatly appriciated.. How do I even try to get a wavier for this? Can I try on my own or do I need a recruiter?
    PLEASE HELP if you can, thank you very much...

Re: Discharged from NAVY - Want in the NG Badly HELP!!!

Originally posted by RodneyLogsdon View Post
    Hello there.. I will start off by saying I would really love to enlist in the National Guard ASAP. I want in so badly but not for sure that is even an option for me. So here is my delimma, Please help me out in any way if you can.. In 1997 I received an other than honorable discharge from the Navy for asthma. Although I do not have it. I have never been to the doctor for it, never used an inhaler before, and never have had any breathing problems before. I was an avid ciggerate smoker prior to enlistment. Basic Training was in Chicago - Great Lakes in the dead of winter. I had caught the flu so was sent to the doctor. They say I could have stayed and faught it but being younger at the time and didn't want to be left behind my original shipmates I did not do so, wish I had of now..
    I want in the National Guard very badly and was wondering if anyone out there could provide any information or might know anyone that might be able to help through this process if any options are even out there. I was thinking maybe pass a Pulmonary Function Test to prove I dont have it and then go through some type of wavier.. Any and all help would be greatly appriciated.. How do I even try to get a wavier for this? Can I try on my own or do I need a recruiter?
    PLEASE HELP if you can, thank you very much...
    LOL...I've never understood why people lie in forums. We are here to help, not hinder. You do not get an other than honorable discharge for asthma....you get an other than honorable discharge for misconduct. If you care to rephrase your question, maybe we can help.

Comment

Give this guy credit because he's doing better than this guy: http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...Date-Discharge

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
        Give this guy credit because he's doing better than this guy:

And one Lord did not have sympathy on the other Lord. Que pena lol.

Comment

Im not lieing.. Why would I lie in a forum trying to get real answers? I was discharged from bootcamp from the Navy with asthma and that is the only reason. I have to find my DD214 but am pretty sure it is an Other than Honorable with I also think an Enroneous tag on it eventhough I did nor do I now have asthma. Thats the only reason I was discharged, I promise. I was Section Leader and before I left my RDC even told me they had the choice to pick 0 to 3 recruits to move up in rank after graduation. I went in an E-1 and he said I would have been an E-3 when I left. I was top in my division in just about everything phsyical and was a great leader and motivator. I never got in trouble to be discharged. My RDC was mad at me for being discharged, wanted me to stay and fight it but I was young and didn't want to leave my battle buddies and didn't want to wait around for 1 to 3 months doing nothing. I should have..

Comment

Rodney,

I think you need to find your DD214 (also provide your RE (re-enlistment) and SPN (separation) codes because what you are saying is inaccurate based on type of discharges. I believe you received an Honorable or General Under Honorable for your asthma condition. But yet, that is the Navy which is a different animal. Or did you lie having asthma; hence the discharge?

http://forum.freeadvice.com/military...ge-390390.html

http://navyadvancement.tpub.com/14325/css/14325_487.htm

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/justi...discharge1.htm

Under Other Than Honorable Conditions. OTH Discharges are warranted when the reason for separation is based upon a pattern of behavior that constitutes a significant departure from the conduct expected of members of the Military Services, or when the reason for separation is based upon one or more acts or omissions that constitute a significant departure from the conduct expected of members of the Military Services. Examples of factors that may be considered include the use of force or violence to produce serious bodily injury or death, abuse of a special position of trust, disregard by a superior of customary superior-subordinate relationships, acts or omissions that endanger the security of the United States or the health and welfare of other members of the Military Services, and deliberate acts or omissions that seriously endanger the health and safety of other persons.Persons awarded an OTH characterization of service: are not entitled to retain their uniforms or wear them home (although they may be furnished civilian clothing at a cost of not more than $50); must accept transportation in kind to their homes; are subject to recoupment of any reenlistment bonus they may have received; are not eligible for notice of discharge to employers (which may affect unemployment benefits); and, do not receive mileage fees from the place of discharge to their home of record.
            It is generally believed that an OTH Discharge will render an individual ineligible for all VA Benefits. This is not necessarily so. The Department of Veterans Affairs will make its own determination with respect as to whether the OTH was based on conditions which would forfeit any or all VA benefits. Most veterans' benefits will be forfeited if that determination is adverse to the former service-member, such as when based on the following circumstances: (1) Desertion; (2) escape prior to trial by general court-martial; (3) conscientious objector who refuses to perform military duties, wear the uniform, or comply with lawful orders of competent military authorities; (4) willful or persistent misconduct; (5) offense(s) involving moral turpitude; (6) mutiny or spying; or (7) homosexual acts involving aggravating circumstances.
            Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; June 14th, 2013, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Found my DD214 and here's what I got..

RE-4 Code
              Sep Code JFC
              UnCharactarized (Entry Level Separation)
              Erroneous Entry (Other)
              Type of Separation just says - Discharged

I know it says Erroneous but how could that be so when I did not lie about having Asthma. I still know I dont have it. I pretty dorn sick when I took the PFT test. They sent me to sick hall or whatever you call it like 3 times in a week for cough drops. I was coughing all night and couldnt sleep.

Comment

This is the current accessions policy for the Army National Guard (ARNG).

If an applicant received a RE-4 from the U.S. Army or a RE-4 or equivalent from another service, applicant
                is ineligible to enter the ARNG (waivers are not authorized). If an applicant received an RE-4 or its equivalent
                from another service that would have been ruled an RE-3 by the U.S. Army, a suitability review may be submitted
                to allow the RE code to be treated as an RE -3.

In short, you will need to take your DD 214 and any other discharge paperwork to a local Guard recruiter.

Comment

+1 to SF

Interesting link below

http://www.justanswer.com/military-l...-jfc-code.html

Comment

I thank ya'll very much for the help.. I will keep you updated on if I can get in.. My fingers are crossed..

Comment

Working...
                    X