X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is reenlistment possible for me?

Long story...please let me know if you have any information on my chances of reenlisting.

My NAVY service began in July of 2003. I entered as an E2 through the delayed entry program in the advanced electronics program. I graduated basic with a meritorious advancement to E3. Several months later during "A" school, me and two other shipmates traveled to Ohio on liberty. We were late getting back and received 45 days restriction for the event.

A couple months later, a shipmate borrowed my car for the weekend while I was not able to leave. He returned without my car as it broke down in Ohio (I was in Illinois) and I applied for leave to go retrieve my car. Because of my previous discipline, my leave was denied. I was upset and went UA for 2 weeks. When I returned on my own, I received restriction, loss of pay and rank. I started seeing a psychologist on base and it was not helping my anger with the situation. In a discussion with my petty officer, he gave me some information on what to do if I really wanted to get out. Following the information I wrote down for the psychologist that I felt I was a danger to myself and others. I was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder and discharged in July 2004 with an Other than Honorable Administrative Separation, RE-4.

I'm now 28 years old, and for the last 10 years have felt the guilt every time I see a service member. I have a good job and make good money so reenlistment for me is not about having a job, it's about being part of the service like I always wanted. I have to live with the disgust and guilt every day and I want a chance to serve my country and make things right.

Re: Is reenlistment possible for me?

In this current environment with the military. Your chances are slim to none.

Right now, the Army National Guard will NOT consider anyone discharged with an Other Than Honorable (OTH) or for personality disorders.
    Last edited by SF Hunter; June 11th, 2013, 12:45 PM.

Comment

An OTH is an automatic DQ with no waiver authorized. So we are all clear here, you don't get an OTH for having personality disorders. You get an OTH when you are separated for misconduct. You could petition to the board of corrections to have your OTH upgraded, but they absolutley will not change the RE code, and even at that point you chances are still closer to none than they are to slim.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post
        An OTH is an automatic DQ with no waiver authorized. So we are all clear here, you don't get an OTH for having personality disorders. You get an OTH when you are separated for misconduct. You could petition to the board of corrections to have your OTH upgraded, but they absolutley will not change the RE code, and even at that point you chances are still closer to none than they are to slim.
        So you're saying there's a chance???

(*sarcastic reference to a film..)

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
          So you're saying there's a chance???

(*sarcastic reference to a film..)
          Sure, about as much of a chance as me becoming president. My momma always told me I could be whatever I wanted to be.

Comment

Yes, your only chance is if you get your OTH upgraded. You have a 10-year window (I believe so) to get it upgraded so hurry and send your request so it can go through the NDRB.

http://www.donhq.navy.mil/corb/ndrb/ndrbmainpage1.htm

You can talk to an American Legion rep for assistance as well.
            Last edited by SF Hunter; June 11th, 2013, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
              Yes, your only chance is if you get your OTH upgraded. You have a 10-year window (I believe so) to get it upgraded so hurry and send your request so it can go through the NDRB.

http://www.donhq.navy.mil/corb/ndrb/ndrbmainpage1.htm

You can talk to an American Legion rep for assistance as well.
              He'll still be disqualified.

Comment

Working...
              X