X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prior service with med question

I am a prior service Marine and have been out awhile. I am 43 but could reach 20 yrs before 60 so think I am good with the age requirements. My issue is I have a steel rod in my lower right leg from a break almost 20yrs ago. It causes no problems and I was wondering if it will DQ me from enlistment.

Thanks,
    Wayne

Re: prior service with med question

Hardware in the body is usually a dis-qualifier. Maybe NYRecruiter will pipe up with the info and AR...

Comment

Thanks. Do you know if I had it removed, would I then meet requirements, or would the prior injury still be disqualifying?

Comment

Originally posted by weemsw View Post
        I am a prior service Marine and have been out awhile. I am 43 but could reach 20 yrs before 60 so think I am good with the age requirements. My issue is I have a steel rod in my lower right leg from a break almost 20yrs ago. It causes no problems and I was wondering if it will DQ me from enlistment.

Thanks,
        Wayne
        Was this service related? Are you medically retired?

Comment

It's worth a shot. Best case it will require a medical waiver (you'll need to dig up all medical doc's concerning the procedure). Worst case, it gets denied.

I've had a few med waivers approved for applicants with hardware (pins & screws). The biggest concern is, does the hardware interfere with the normal wear of the uniform or protrude from the skin, which I would imagine a steel rod wouldn't. The other concern is if the doc has cleared you for all physical activity with no restrictions.

As long as you're willing to do the leg work for the medical doc's a Recruiter should be willing to submit the request for a waiver.

Best of luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by NYGuardRecruiter View Post
            It's worth a shot. Best case it will require a medical waiver (you'll need to dig up all medical doc's concerning the procedure). Worst case, it gets denied.

I've had a few med waivers approved for applicants with hardware (pins & screws). The biggest concern is, does the hardware interfere with the normal wear of the uniform or protrude from the skin, which I would imagine a steel rod wouldn't. The other concern is if the doc has cleared you for all physical activity with no restrictions.

As long as you're willing to do the leg work for the medical doc's a Recruiter should be willing to submit the request for a waiver.

Best of luck!!
            Unless he is medically retired...peb adjudication at 30% PDR is non waivable. That's why I asked the duty related question.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I am not medically retired and while it was not duty related it did occur while I was still in the active reserve. I was back on full duty in the reserves for almost a year with no issues before leaving at the end of contract. Don't know if that helps any. At the time it was not a problem for reenlistment but once out noone seemed interested in helping me back in. As far as uniform wear or protrusions, you wouldn't know it was there if not for the scars. Something i've wanted to do for a long time so I think I will give it a shot. Thanks again.

Comment

Quick follow up question. Just spoke to a local recruiter and was told that the age requirements have changed. It doesnt go by the retirement by age 60 anymore. He said that it is age minus years of service must be under 35. I know that is the active duty and regular reserve standard but thought NG was different. Is this correct or should I contact a different recruiter?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by weemsw View Post
                  Quick follow up question. Just spoke to a local recruiter and was told that the age requirements have changed. It doesnt go by the retirement by age 60 anymore. He said that it is age minus years of service must be under 35. I know that is the active duty and regular reserve standard but thought NG was different. Is this correct or should I contact a different recruiter?

Thanks
                  I highly recommend that you speak with another recruiter. The one that you spoke with is completely wrong. I am a NG Recruiter and I can tell you for a fact, that if you are classified as a Prior Service soldier and can reach 20 years of service by age 60, than you are completely eligible to enlist. If you have any questions about that, look up a recruiter in Norman, OK and I will be more than happy to set you on the right path. Whether you are out of state or not, I am more than happy to answer your questions.

Comment

Working...
                  X