Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Check it out.....

ok
    Last edited by marinecomm; May 23rd, 2013, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
      Sounds to me like more a pride thing.... which I totally get.

I tell anyone who served, regardless if you were 11B or a latrine cleaner, you served. 99% of the population can't say that. In the OPs case, he's a veteran in my eyes and pretty much anyone else who runs across him.
      I really do appreciate your comment about being a veteran. We both know the meaning of having served our country. Some feel like they are the only ones that served in the military and fought the war all by themselves. I've seen many of those in my life time. Thanks again for your comment.

Comment

Originally posted by marinecomm View Post
        I really do appreciate your comment about being a veteran. We both know the meaning of having served our country. Some feel like they are the only ones that served in the military and fought the war all by themselves. I've seen many of those in my life time. Thanks again for your comment.
        You totally missed my point. And if you have vet plates then good for you. But based on the definition of Veteran, you are not. And those are facts and you should not get upset or take that personal. And I never said your service was insignificant.

Anyway, good luck on trying to re-enter the service.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
          You totally missed my point. And if you have vet plates then good for you. But based on the definition of Veteran, you are not. And those are facts and you should not get upset or take that personal. And I never said your service was insignificant.

Anyway, good luck on trying to re-enter the service.
          Based on the VA's defenition of a veteran, I am not for the purposes of veteran's benefits. DOD has a different version of term "Veteran" and the Marine Corps considers me a Marine. You may follow whichever version you choose to define my status. I am an honorably discharged veteran like it or not.

Depending on which state you live, certain states offer benefits to reservist that are not considered veterans via the VA version of the term. The state of Texas, in which I live offers veterans plates for anyone that served honorably regardless of status. Of course, I can't get Vietnam veterans plates, nor WWII plates, nor disabled plates, but I can get Marine Corps Honorably Discharged plates, all classified as veterans plates and don't cost me extra to have. If you live in the upper east corner of the USA like in Massachusetts, they require active duty time aside training purposes for veterans plates AND YOU MUST PAY EXTRA FOR THEM. In Texas, I can get a concealed hand gun license for half the 140 application fee. NG, Armed Forces and Reserves can do this. I can join and have USAA membership for home, automobile casualty insurance, in Texas, the TEXAS VETERANS LAND BOARD I can use for home loans. Only requirement is 90 days active duty including training purposes. (But I find FHA to be just as good and less hassle to use). As a reservist with honorable discharge, I can use FHA indefinately over and over again, not only just ONE TIME.

In Alaska, I can buy land at 25 percent discount from the Department of Natural Resources. Depending on what state you live in, they accept reservist and National Guard at some Veterans homes such as Pennsylvania and Washington state, and New Mexico. Some states even give veterans preferance to even NG and reservist such as Illinois.

And then there are the veterans organizations, all of which I can join except for maybe DAV or VFW or VVA. I can join FRA, AL, MCL, AMVETS, PLAV. They all do the same. The only difference is the criteria to join them. They all have their shuffle board tables, beer, dart boards and pool tables, they all do charity drives and discuss local issues and veterans issues.

So based on the Veteran Administrations version of the term veteran, I AM NOT. Based on Department of Defense, I suppose by acknowledging FUNERAL HONORS to honorably discharged veterans of the reserves and guard, I suppose I am a veteran.

So you were wrong about the veteran plates, and you are wrong about what a veteran is. You never said my service was insignificant but you never said it was significant but that's ok. I didn't come to this forum to pick a fight, or compare my service to anyone else's service. I did not chose the military for a career as you did. Had I done so, I am certain I would be a combat veteran by now and even maybe retired, or killed in action or killed in training or maimed, or who knows what? I came to this forum because NG is alot like regular reserves and I am sure the experiences are probably alot of the same. I came to to draw information and share information and straighten out MISINFORMATION or get my misinformation straightened out. I am not upset nor angry. Yes your service career is shinier than mine by a long shot I presume. I don't want to trade blows over bases I've been like Fort Clayton, Albrook AFB, Kobbe, Ft Guilick, Sasebo, Anderson AFB, Kadena, Camp Foster, 29 Palms, Lejejune, to, ports I've been to like Al Jubail, Rota, Kircaldy, Torquay, Moorehead City, Mayport, Norfolk, Little Creek, Lynnhaven, Suez Canal, Persian Gulf, ....... , jobs I have done, information I have been entrusted with. I don't know you and you don't know me, and I definately don't pay your bills and you don't pay mine.
          Oh, and chewed tobacco in Spokanne.

Comment

And just to make a point. I have always felt that a reservist that does 20 years or even a tour of duty, his butt belongs to Uncle Sam for the same length of time active duty belongs to Uncle Sam. Your butt as a reservist or NG doesn't belong to Uncle Sam "PART TIME". You may come in and work part time and get paid for part time and be compensated part time, but your butt belongs to Uncle Sam FULL TIME until the end of your enlistment. Just like the active duty. How are reservist not veterans when they served the same amount of contractual years as active duty counterparts?

Comment

Another article to read

http://www.military.com/benefits/201...an-status.html

New Push to Make ‘Veterans’ of 200,000 Reserve RetireesLt. Cmdr. Jack Townsend, a Navy Reserve retiree in Richmond, Va., first became aware a decade ago that he wasn’t considered a military “veteran” under federal law. It’s been bothering him ever since.
              Townsend was applying for a job when asked for a copy of his DD Form 214, “Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty,” to prove veteran status. Townsend, who had earned his reserve commission through the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, didn’t have a DD 214 because he never had served under active duty orders.
              He did have his Navy Reserve retirement letter to verify 24 years of service. But employers are schooled to ask for the DD 214, proof from a job seeker of veteran status for completing a period of active duty service.
              “It put me in a bad light,” Townsend said.
              Roger Miller, 60, of Denver, Colo., who retired from the Navy Reserve at the same rank also after 24 years, spent six of his years as an Air Force Reserve enlistee, loading cargo on aircraft that others crewed.
              “I knew that to be classified a veteran you had to have 180 days of continuous active duty, not including basic training or tech school. I finished up tech school at 179 days,” Miller said, just as the Air Force intended.
              Non-veteran status didn’t string Miller until years later when he applied for federal civilian positions that fit his experience well in television and mass communications. He couldn’t, however, claim veterans’ preference points and he lost those jobs to former service members with active duty time.
              “People ask me, ‘Are you a veteran?’ I say well, yeah, I served 24 years in the Reserve so I consider myself a veteran -- even though the government doesn’t.’ That’s my answer to them,” Miller said.

Comment

I didn't come to this forum to pick a fight
                Right... That seems pretty clear at this point.

Chief has been nothing but polite to you since your original post. The definition of "veteran" he is using is one that is currently used with regards to official DoD Veteran status. Nobody is saying you didn't serve, they're saying you haven't met the criteria. Guess what? I haven't either, and with the drawdown, it's likely I may not ever. That's why I'm supporting the legislation in the article he posted. It's not Chief's fault.

Comment

I'm aware of the reserve retirees wanting veteran status. I have kept track of legislation and veteran issues for a long time. Personally, my opinion is that all that have honorable discharges should be classified as veterans. You did your tour of duty and you gave your butt to Uncle Sam for the duration of your term. 4 by 2, or 3 by 3, or 6 years straight. Active duty and reserves. Kind of a shame someone joins active duty for 3 years and has veteran status when a guy in his 50's served 20 or more years in reserves with higher rank and expected to perform his job in case he is called to war and doesn't have veteran status.

Should benefits be equal to that of active duty? No. I am not saying that. But something to show separation from others that didn't serve, or served with less than honorable discharges. Example. Veterans preferance. You give the Vietnam Veteran 10 points, active duty during time of war 5 points, ok, what do reservist get? Nothing.....so I say, give a reservist a token 2 points. So for government civil service jobs, a reservist is equal to someone that never served because he doesn't get any veteran preferance points. So don't classify me along with undesirable discharges and criminals that voided their benefits or those that never finished boot camp or were kicked out.

Just a little common sense and fairness when applied to this situation for reservist.
                  Last edited by marinecomm; May 23rd, 2013, 11:32 AM.

Comment

I'm aware of the reserve retirees wanting veteran status. I have kept track of legislation and veteran issues for a long time. Personally, my opinion is that all that have honorable discharges should be classified as veterans. You did your tour of duty and you gave your butt to Uncle Sam for the duration of your term. 4 by 2, or 3 by 3, or 6 years straight. Active duty and reserves. Kind of a shame someone joins active duty for 3 years and has veteran status when a guy in his 50's served 20 or more years in reserves with higher rank and expected to perform his job in case he is called to war and doesn't have veteran status.

Should benefits be equal to that of active duty? No. I am not saying that. But something to show separation from others that didn't serve, or served with less than honorable discharges. Example. Veterans preferance. You give the Vietnam Veteran 10 points, active duty during time of war 5 points, ok, what do reservist get? Nothing.....so I say, give a reservist a token 2 points. So for government civil service jobs, a reservist is equal to someone that never served because he doesn't get any veteran preferance points. So don't classify me along with undesirable discharges and criminals that voided their benefits or those that never finished boot camp or were kicked out.

Just a little common sense and fairness when applied to this situation for reservist.
                    I think the part-timer gets more of his fair share when it comes to benefits. A reservist that never served on AD gets educational, reasonable health/dental, VA home loan and funeral benefits like you stated. Just because you have not earned a label/title that brings forth respect and recognition and more bennies; does not mean that you are not being afforded fairness.

I seen the flip side in which recognition were given to servicemembers and they felt they were not entitled to (e.g. CAB, PH) and they choose not to wear those awards or receive the extra benefits. That is up to them. And my opinion has nothing to do with my current status or because I have served many years on active. I started my military service as a reservist and served my first four years in that capacity before I transferred to AD Marine Corps. And I had that same opinion about the AD vs RC entitlements back them because to a certain extent it is apples to oranges/night and day.

Personally, my opinion is that all that have honorable discharges should be classified as veterans
                    This is where we disagree.

Comment

Look on the bright side, you may be eligible for a free dinner at Applebee's on Veteran's Day.

Comment

Chief. The military has changed alot more since I've been in. When I was in during 1982, reservist didn't have the base usage priveledges they enjoy now. So who knows how much things have changed. I am speaking 30 years ago here. You are right about reservist getting home loans, educational assistance. IF HE SIGNED UP FOR SIX STRAIGHT IN SELECTED SERVICE. (When I was in.) A 3 by 3 or 3 active reserves and 3 IRR doesn't get you those benefits. The va home loan for reservist differes from AD version of home loan in terms of percentage points. The educational benefits were not there when I joined, it was VEAP. They just came out with the new bill in 1985 but had to sign up for another six years straight, excluding the three I had just put in. I found another way. Didn't see it being worth it to me. I aint complaining, just sharing information.

I see why the military has always been popular amongst young people. Where else do you get a contract with benefits right out of high school and a chance to do something with your life? That is until they find out what its like for SOME. (Not all)

Unless you have ever experienced the same outside the military such as a job where you negotiate your own contract, or have a union perform collective bargaining on your behalf, its nice to get a 10,000 dollar sign on fee, along with retro pay for lapsed union contract and a new agreement on a contract good for some 3 years for just doing the same job that you always do. Military has reenlistment bonuses spread across the individual's term. Added to the paycheck. Maybe a grand or two lump sum so he can throw down on a bike.

And Applebees? What about Golden Coral. I'd rather pay than stand in that line.
                        Last edited by marinecomm; May 23rd, 2013, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Chief. The military has changed alot more since I've been in. When I was in during 1982, reservist didn't have the base usage priveledges they enjoy now. So who knows how much things have changed
                          Yes, the benefits are way better than when I first came in. Also, I still have my Pink ID card for when I was a Reservist. Also, the current CAC cards use to have written explicitly on them Army National Guard and now they removed that as Army for all services for commissary benefits. Before, a Reservist had limited commissary benefits.

GI Bill is much better as well. You can transfer them to your kids and they pay your rent as well.

BTW, I was Platoon 3058, I Co. at Parris Island and did a stint at Okinawa and Quantico.

Comment

Platoon 2062 second Bn F company. Paradise Island SC. 1982
                            MCCES MCAGCC 29 Palms FROC
                            C.co 8th Tanks Tallahassee, Fl
                            Co B- 4th Amphibian Assault Bn, Jax Fl.
                            USS Harlen County LST 1196 Little Creek Va and Mayport Fl.

I wasn't in Okinawa with the Marines, but with the MPS program, I went into White Beach, Red Beach, was all over Okinawa about three different times in and out. Saw Kadena AFB, Camp Foster, Kinville off base from Camp Hansen. BC street. On our way to TS KOREA in 1989. Again in 94-95. Went to Iwo Jima 50th anniverary, name of our ship MV JACK LUMMUS was named after a medal of honor winner in that battle. Our ship was invited over there. 1995

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                              Yes, the benefits are way better than when I first came in. Also, I still have my Pink ID card for when I was a Reservist. Also, the current CAC cards use to have written explicitly on them Army National Guard and now they removed that as Army for all services for commissary benefits. Before, a Reservist had limited commissary benefits.

GI Bill is much better as well. You can transfer them to your kids and they pay your rent as well.

BTW, I was Platoon 3058, I Co. at Parris Island and did a stint at Okinawa and Quantico.
                              Nothing to do with commisary benefits. They are costly and time consuming to change from USAR/NG to Active Duty when the unit is mobilized. In fact most of the benefits aren't to make NG/USAR Soldiers happy, they are to improve readiness.

Comment

This thread delivers.

Comment

Working...
                                X