X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check it out.....

Ok, I'm an old man. I'll be 51 soon. Prior USMCR. Did total of 3 by 3. Three active reserves, 3 IRR for total of 6 years for obligation. I don't know what that means in terms of credible retirement by age 60. My estimate is I'm too old to join. Ok, I can live with that....

Is this waiveable? Suppose there is a war, will these rules relax? If I went National Guard, or Reserves, I would want to go to combat zone. Why? To gain veteran status. I feel like the years I put into the Marine Reserves years ago, were wasted in terms of veteran benefits. May sound silly. Why in the world would veteran status be nice to have right now after all of these years right? So by age 60 in the NG or ANG, I doubt I could make 20 years of credible service. I would just be interested in joining the NG in hopes of a tour of duty in a combat zone if I had to.

I have credible skills in aviation maintenance and was a radio operator in the USMC.

Re: Check it out.....

Too old, thanks for your service though.

Comment

DD, I felt like you after doing a hitch on AD in the Marines but returned to civilian life. Upon missing it, and adding my Army reserve and Guard time, I realized the same but in my 30s. I am now in my late 40s with over 23 years of service (mostly AD) and three combat tours. I wanted to ensure some medical & financial stability in my golden years.

You realized this too late. Sorry.
      Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; May 22nd, 2013, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Sorry Devil... time is a fickle thing. You just happened to serve at a quiet time.

Comment

It was never about adding medical or financial stability for me. In fact, my financial stability and medical were reasons I wouldn't go back into the military or reserves. I did think about it maybe 20 years ago when I was in between school and finding a job in aviation, but in the end, I seemed to find better. You can't have your cake and ice cream all of the time, so the only regret I really have is not having the active duty time for veteran status. I am some 3 years away from eligibility to retire in my civilian job with pension and 401 K, travel benefits ect.....medical will be medicare at 65. I can bridge my medical with sick leave upon retirement, can bridge it for 5 years. So I'll probably retire at 60 anyway.
          My love affair of going back into the reserves was a back and forth thing. I would think about it, in some cases, talk to a recruiter, but never went through with it because of either I didn't like what I was hearing or I wasn't committed 100 percent due to my working situations. I was thinking of doing Coast Guard Reserves, but they wanted to send me to Cape May New Jersey to some kind of boot camp. I was out on Guam at the time, and I didn't feel like uprooting from my job to go run around in New Jersey. I couldn't figure out why they couldn't do it in Guam for prior service. I really don't have any regrets only not having gone active duty when it all began for me at 19.

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
          DD, I felt like you after doing a hitch on AD in the Marines but returned to civilian life. Upon missing it, and adding my Army reserve and Guard time, I realized the same but in my 30s. I am now in my late 40s with over 23 years of service (mostly AD) and three combat tours. I wanted to ensure some medical & financial stability in my golden years.

You realized this too late. Sorry.
          Last edited by marinecomm; May 22nd, 2013, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Not a quiet time. There was involvement in Lebanon and Genada while I was in the reserves, but nothing to warrant a full blown call out. Those years make me eligible for American Legion membership.....whoopie....
            I was in the Persian Gulf in 1990 and 1991 at Al Jubail, all over Eastern Saudi and Kuwait. I shipped in and out of the Gulf War, into the straights of Hormuz, Persian Gulf, Gulf of Oman, Suez Canal. I did this shipboard with the Maritime Prepositioned Ships on all three squadrons. I was in Korea, Honduras on operations as a Marine Corps Maintenance Contractor, so I had things going on. I did more on this program than I knew I would ever do in the reserves or had done in the reserves, in fact, maybe moresoe than active duty. I did shipboard for 5 years. Time is a fickle thing and I was doing things with my time.
            Did I participate in an armed conflict? Yes. Was I in a war zone? Yes.

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
            Sorry Devil... time is a fickle thing. You just happened to serve at a quiet time.

Comment

Ok, so... I gather from your posts that you are really wanting to serve again, but I'm about to throw down the BS card on you.

"Prior USMCR. Did total of 3 by 3. 3 active reserves, 3 IRR for total of 6 years for obligation." and then "I did shipboard for 5 years."

So, which is it? Because you would not be doing any sort of shipboard activity in IRR.

Comment

Why is there always someone that instantly thinks there is some BS card needing to be thrown? And YES. DO YOU WANT TO BET??? I went shipboard in October of 87 to Diego Garcia, and my discharge came in June of 1988. So I was actually in the IRR while deployed on the MPS program. I started the MPS program in May of 1986 at Blount Island in Jacksonville Florida. But went shipboard a year point five later to Diego Garcia. Later went to MPS-3 Guam/Saipan then MPS-1 Atlantic including DS in 90-91.
                So what makes you think that you cannot deploy or work abroad while in the IRR? Because you wont make augmentation? Only thing I can think is maybe I didn't clarify good enough. My dealings with the MPS program were civilian based. I went to work for a contractor that provided technical services to the USMC in the MPS program. I was shipboard as a civilian, not military. When I got out of the active reserves, I went IRR, but gotta do some job you know. IRR doesn't pay.

And no. I am not really wanting to serve again. I wouldn't give up what I have now to join. There is no way. I was just stating that if I was to ever join, it would have to be going into the combat zone in order to gain veteran status than having to serve out a full 24 months straight. Of course, those moments in the combat zone be a bit more risky.

USMC 1982-85 Selected Reserves, 1985-88 IRR
                Shipboard MPS program, civilian 1987-91, 94-95.

Ok, so... I gather from your posts that you are really wanting to serve again, but I'm about to throw down the BS card on you.

"Prior USMCR. Did total of 3 by 3. 3 active reserves, 3 IRR for total of 6 years for obligation." and then "I did shipboard for 5 years."

So, which is it? Because you would not be doing any sort of shipboard activity in IRR.
                Last edited by marinecomm; May 22nd, 2013, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Yup, clarification helps. Chief can probably attest to that part of your USMC service, but the service you did as an MPS civilian doesn't count to towards your military career....

It's like me saying my that my civilian job with the ABC agency dealing with GWOT issues is service. It's not. Does it help the current conflict and serve my country? Yes. But it doesn't equate to anything I do with the Army, no matter how much it correlates.

Irregardless, you're kinda stuck. There is no way at this time to get veteran status, given your circumstances. I defer back to my original post, you served (Honorably) during a quiet time.. ie - You didn't get enough time on a float or go to a war. Doesn't mean your service was any less Honorable or appreciated.

Comment

Yup, clarification helps. Chief can probably attest to that part of your USMC service, but the service you did as an MPS civilian doesn't count to towards your military career....

+1. When I got out of the Marines and years later went into the US Border Patrol, I could of used my military service to sell for retirement. Now that I am back on Army AD, that USBP time does not translate back to military service. All I received was my SF 50-B (similar to a military DD-214/NGB22) that shows I was employed by the DOJ/INS. So you are totally correct LT.

There are civilians that are in the Reserves/IRR that are currently downrange in Afghanistan/Kuwait and that is moot for any military credit.

Comment

My grandfather was a Merchant Marine and he has been around a lot of ports and made a lot of bambinos along the way

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maritim...sitioning_ship

Comment

Originally posted by marinecomm View Post
                        It was never about adding medical or financial stability for me. In fact, my financial stability and medical were reasons I wouldn't go back into the military or reserves. I did think about it maybe 20 years ago when I was in between school and finding a job in aviation, but in the end, I seemed to find better. You can't have your cake and ice cream all of the time, so the only regret I really have is not having the active duty time for veteran status. I am some 3 years away from eligibility to retire in my civilian job with pension and 401 K, travel benefits ect.....medical will be medicare at 65. I can bridge my medical with sick leave upon retirement, can bridge it for 5 years. So I'll probably retire at 60 anyway.
                        My love affair of going back into the reserves was a back and forth thing. I would think about it, in some cases, talk to a recruiter, but never went through with it because of either I didn't like what I was hearing or I wasn't committed 100 percent due to my working situations. I was thinking of doing Coast Guard Reserves, but they wanted to send me to Cape May New Jersey to some kind of boot camp. I was out on Guam at the time, and I didn't feel like uprooting from my job to go run around in New Jersey. I couldn't figure out why they couldn't do it in Guam for prior service. I really don't have any regrets only not having gone active duty when it all began for me at 19.
                        Sounds like you are all set, so why do you really care about veteran status? The wars are winding down and the only legislation that is on the floor is for Guard/Reserve members who complete 20 years and retire and never served on federal active status. So; even if you get back in, there may be little opportunity to deploy and you will be 64 before you earned your full 20.

Comment

Sounds to me like more a pride thing.... which I totally get.

I tell anyone who served, regardless if you were 11B or a latrine cleaner, you served. 99% of the population can't say that. In the OPs case, he's a veteran in my eyes and pretty much anyone else who runs across him.

Comment

Have you got a moment to check this out, tell me what you think?

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/c...df/100020p.pdf

Comment

I just see things differently. Yes, the OP has contributed immensely to the service of his country in both a military and civilian capacity but there are sub-groups within our military culture.

I am not a grunt, airborne, Ranger, SF and I am ok with that.

I earned the title of Marine, am Air Assault, served with elite Army Divisions in a combat zone and will always have the title of Chief.

You cannot get Veteran License Plates or earned a membership of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and that should be ok.

If I retired from AD as a SSG and met a SGM or LTC that served 20 years in the Guard/Reserves and never served on Title 10 status; sorry, by current definition, they are not veterans as the SSG nor in the same company as those. Just my two cents.

Comment

Working...
                              X