X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confused about dd-214

i'm just gonna be straight up i enlisted in Feb 2007 and went awol from basic in march 2007. i turned myself in and was chaptered out. they never asked me if i wanted to return to my unit and i was told if i disputed any information i would be held for a year and 6 months. (they told all 10 of us that were there that) None of us said a word, but atleast 4 of us including myself wanted to stay in! I have a re 4 KFS OTH. I did NOT know i was barred from reenlisting!! I just started looking into this this year and found out what it all meant. I wasnt even in the Army for a month.. how can this be? how can i be considered prior service?
    Last edited by Vanessa Neville; May 20th, 2013, 09:01 PM.

Re: confused about dd-214

Originally posted by Vanessa Neville View Post
    i'm just gonna be straight up i enlisted in Feb 2007 and went awol from basic in march 2007. i turned myself in and was chaptered out. they never asked me if i wanted to return to my unit and i was told if i disputed any information i would be held for a year and 6 months. (they told all 10 of us that were there that) None of us said a word, but atleast 4 of us including myself wanted to stay in! I have a re 4 KFS OTH. I did NOT know i was barred from reenlisting!! I just started looking into this this year and found out what it all meant. I wasnt even in the Army for a month.. how can this be?
    Are you sure that's what it says? What branch was this from? Although its possible those are uncommon codes to have if you were only in basic. However, an OTH is non waivable and always will be. I feel like there is more to this story...or a criminal naturw, because that code is for in lieu of courts martial.

Comment

it says in lieu of trial by court martial KFS RE 4 under OTH i just dont understand...i was ad army. i went awol.. other than that i have no criminal record.

Comment

Getting discharged for AWOL and having an Re-4 and OTH will take IronMan to get you back in. Ask the Chaplain that comes on here for advice.

Comment

i went awol. i will admit my faults in that, but i had no choice and when they asked my why i went awol and they also made me write it down. i told them i had no other options. When my childcare arrangements back home fell apart my drill sgts would not help me, told me if i thought going to the liason was gonna get me out think again, matter of fact they never even let me go! it was either choose the army or my 2 year old. yeah right! i'd make the same choice a million times over. I found out that there is a re code that would have fit better for why i left and the army could have helped me or discharged me when i told them what was going on at home, but instead they left me with no choice but to go awol. when i fixed my childcare situation, i turned myself in and once again they screw me!

also a lot of recruiters gave me a flat out no, but ive founf 2 in my area who are willing to work with me!

Comment

i went awol. i will admit my faults in that, but i had no choice and when they asked my why i went awol and they also made me write it down. i told them i had no other options. When my childcare arrangements back home fell apart my drill sgts would not help me, told me if i thought going to the liason was gonna get me out think again, matter of fact they never even let me go! it was either choose the army or my 2 year old. yeah right! i'd make the same choice a million times over. I found out that there is a re code that would have fit better for why i left and the army could have helped me or discharged me when i told them what was going on at home, but instead they left me with no choice but to go awol. when i fixed my childcare situation, i turned myself in and once again they screw me!

also a lot of recruiters gave me a flat out no, but ive founf 2 in my area who are willing to work with me!
            You wrote that you did not know you could re-enlist but two recruiters are willing to work with you? They cannot enlist you with an other than honorable discharge. Period. Plus, your RE-Code is probably not waiverable at this time.

Also, AWOL as part of your narrative is something that will bar you from getting back in. That type of misconduct is unforgiving in this draw down climate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
              You wrote that you did not know you could re-enlist but two recruiters are willing to work with you? They cannot enlist you with an other than honorable discharge. Period. Plus, your RE-Code is probably not waiverable at this time.

Also, AWOL as part of your narrative is something that will bar you from getting back in. That type of misconduct is unforgiving in this draw down climate.
              i found out this year what all the codes and what not on my dd 214 meant. When i was getting out i knew nothing abt the army. i was in from 2/15/2007 - 3/07/2007 so when i was chaptering out nobody said "HEY you will never be allowed to reenlist! Are you sure you want to do this" also ive been told so many times that they ask if you want to return to your unit. i was never asked that. As far as i knew from what they did tell me, i was "getting a chapter 10 i should be grateful because 20 years ago i would have been shot in the head"..... i just really didnt know this was what it was. i took 3 days for them to chapter me out... Yes actually two recruiters have said the re 4 is a bigger issue than the oth

Comment

But you said that your baby needed you and you would have made that decision regardless. Either way, good luck.

Comment

if they said choose your family or the army i would choose my family. i turned myself in after i had everything at home squared away. that way i wouldnt have another issue i did what i had to and came back ready to serve just as ready as i was before i went in. it took the army 7 days to ship me after meps. i should have been better prepared but at 19 years old i guess i wasnt!

my recruiters were a mess anyways, i signed a notorized paper and left my daughter with my mother. she lost her job after i left for basic and couldnt provide financially nor childcare for my two year old. my drills were aware as she wrote me a letter and i gave it to them askin for help and they did not and wouldnt help me! i feel like i have a good case to have these codes changed.
                  Last edited by Vanessa Neville; May 20th, 2013, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Mods...close the thread....the facts are inconsistent, an oth doesn't get back in, and no matter how we explain it won't matter.

Comment

if they said choose your family or the army i would choose my family.
                      You answered your own thread topic.

I have a daughter that was about to join. She has a child and her mind is everywhere--she was in a rush to enlist and ship off to basic without a clue of what she was getting herself into. To add insult to injury, she's hard headed. Long story short I inadvertently helped her to make the decision not to enlist.

She's the kind of person that doesn't want to hear the truth and would have had to learn the hard way that she can't have a child and run off to any branch of the Armed Forces thinking she's going to make everything right overnight. It's unfortunate you didn't come across this discussion board before you enlisted.
                      Last edited by VICEROY06; May 20th, 2013, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post
                        Mods...close the thread....the facts are inconsistent, an oth doesn't get back in, and no matter how we explain it won't matter.
                        If I knew how to close this thread, I would. New MOD here but I can't seem to locate any of the functions!!

It would be best for all to simply stop posting on this particular thread until we can get it closed out...

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
                          If I knew how to close this thread, I would. New MOD here but I can't seem to locate any of the functions!!

It would be best for all to simply stop posting on this particular thread until we can get it closed out...
                          Congratulations on your new promotion.

I had a gut feeling that we were getting this type of poster and I do get a hint of troll but I am not working in computer security ;0)

http://www.memecenter.com/fun/112081...rnet-tough-guy

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post

Congratulations on your new promotion.

I had a gut feeling that we were getting this type of poster and I do get a hint of troll but I am not working in computer security ;0)

http://www.memecenter.com/fun/112081...rnet-tough-guy

Comment

i'm just gonna be straight up i enlisted in Feb 2007 and went awol from basic in march 2007. i turned myself in and was chaptered out. they never asked me if i wanted to return to my unit and i was told if i disputed any information i would be held for a year and 6 months. (they told all 10 of us that were there that) None of us said a word, but atleast 4 of us including myself wanted to stay in! I have a re 4 KFS OTH. I did NOT know i was barred from reenlisting!! I just started looking into this this year and found out what it all meant. I wasnt even in the Army for a month.. how can this be? how can i be considered prior service?
                              YOU had a 'child care issue' but you had to take 9 of your battle buddies AWOL with you?

I suspect there is more to this story than a 'self-sacrificing parent of the year' getting the short end of discharge.....

I call B.S.

Comment

Working...
                              X