Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active duty Marine to AR or NG - MOS 51C

Good afternoon everyone,

Seems like there are plenty of Marines trying to transition to the Army Reserve or National Guard. I find myself in the same situation with a few special circumstances I hope to get help with:

I am an active duty Staff Sergeant (E-6) in the Marines in the 3044 MOS, which is the equivalent to 51C in the Army, with 8 years in. My original intent was to join the Marine Corps Reserve after my EAS later this year, but there may not be any billets available in my MOS, and the Marine Corps is not willing to retrain me in another field because of my rank. I would be able to lat-move if I was an E-5 or below. Which brings me to considering joining the Army Reserve or National Guard.

My question is: Does the Army have 51C's in the reserves or National Guard? And if not, would I be eligible to still join in a different field?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Active duty Marine to AR or NG - MOS 51C

Originally posted by SSgtBear View Post
    Good afternoon everyone,

Seems like there are plenty of Marines trying to transition to the Army Reserve or National Guard. I find myself in the same situation with a few special circumstances I hope to get help with:

I am an active duty Staff Sergeant (E-6) in the Marines in the 3044 MOS, which is the equivalent to 51C in the Army, with 8 years in. My original intent was to join the Marine Corps Reserve after my EAS later this year, but there may not be any billets available in my MOS, and the Marine Corps is not willing to retrain me in another field because of my rank. I would be able to lat-move if I was an E-5 or below. Which brings me to considering joining the Army Reserve or National Guard.

My question is: Does the Army have 51C's in the reserves or National Guard? And if not, would I be eligible to still join in a different field?

Thanks in advance.
    check out this thread: http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/.../26330-51C-MOS

Comment

51C is a big topic on the AD boards. If you want some other info on it, you can go to http://community.armystudyguide.com/.../940106121/p/1

Comment

Yes, the National Guard has the 51C MOS, although it is a small career field. It's small, but it's also hard to fill, so you can find vacancies. Virginia happens to have two contracting teams.

In general, you are welcome to enlist and reclassify to any vacant MOS for which you are qualified for which you're willing to make the drive.

Comment

Thank you for all the info. It's good to know that the Army would let me reclassify. Even though I won't be on active duty anymore, I would definitely like to keep serving until I can retire.

Comment

I am a 51C in the Guard, where are you located?

Comment

Working...
            X