X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honorable Discharge but with RE-3 to National Guard

Currently active Army, my battalion commander has offered our unit an early exit from the military under an honorable discharge. However, looking into this farther trying to identify the fine print, I believe however, not yet confirmed that I'd get a RE-3 code for reenlistment. I've been informed this would bar one from reenlistment. It would require a waiver but I suppose this is rare. The only way I see a waiver getting approved is to show proof of highly desired skills. Possibly being fluent in French and Pashto would sway things. Not really curious about the waiver right now though. Mainly curious about how this RE-3 code could affect things to decide if it would be better to ride my contract out or to take my losses for a more satisfying life focused on a better career track attending college.

This may not be a good question for this section but would anyone know if an RE-3 code would also affect enrolling in ROTC?

Re: Honorable Discharge but with RE-3 to National Guard

You really need to see why the RE-3 is being offered and under what regulations. That is going to determine if you can/can not re-enlist.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
      You really need to see why the RE-3 is being offered and under what regulations. That is going to determine if you can/can not re-enlist.
      We were informed that it would be recorded as two pt failures. I don't know if that would bar from reenlistment in the national guard as long as you can prove you pass a pt test by taking one.

Comment

Do you really want to have a discharge with the gist saying "soldier failed to maintain the standard"?

This all smells like a sardine factory in summer time with no A/C to me....

Comment

The RE-3 isn't the deal breaker, it's the Narrative Reason for Separation. If the Narrative Reason is failing to meet the physical standards, it's waivable but not easy. If it's Reduction of Force or Early Release, those are easily waivable.

Comment

If you are a good troop with no flags; you should get an RE-1. Anything less is due to issues. Play the gamble OP, if you like.

Comment

This is hilarious. The "Battalion command has offered our unit an early exit from the military". So what you are saying, is you are being involuntarily separated for 2 record APFT failures as required. It's not being "offered" as in you having a choice.

Comment

Currently I do not know what the RE code will be for those taking the honorable discharge. I've only based it off people whom have gotten general discharges. I probably will be able to find out tomorrow once another group (some from my company) go through the chapter process. It is a voluntary offer as in I'd have to request it and have my pt records altered to failures. I believe it originally came about to try to pinpoint soldiers whom barely pass the physical standards each time and/or consistently ride profiles but since an honorable was put out it was offered to everyone whom wants to get out because a general can be taken anytime. I want out of my mos as much as the next guy but I'd only take it under the conditions I could join the NG under a different mos (as put forth above it clearly pertains to the codes). Otherwise, I'll just continue to ride out the in/outs list in my reclass window til contracts end which is currently balanced not allowing a reclass. Heard about this opportunity coming back from a school, a lot of people have already grabbed it (sort of think they attracted the crowd they never intended too; fail on their part (the majority being squared away soldiers sick of the bs opposed to fat bodies that ride profiles loving the free ride)). Wanted to make sure I knew what all it would entail. I have a good record with no past pt failures or article 15s, yet if I take this a pt failure or below physical standard will probably be on the dd2-14. Worst case scenarios in this discharge I'd just get the GI bill for college and go live a happy life as a civilian.

Comment

I think you would honestly regret it down the line if you took this as the way out. You may find you want to serve again, as a lot of Soldiers do, and then find that the RE-3 and narrative either bar you from re-enlistment or make it quite the bear. I also find it appalling than any commander would actually resort to this method outside of trying to weed out the bad Soldiers.

My advice is ride it out until your ETS, separate under nothing but an RE-1, then come to the NG and get an MOS you like.

Comment

Ok OP, so... do you think it is legal or moral for a commander to go back and alter passing APFT scores to show not passing? You do realize that the DA Form 705 is a legal record of performance. There is something seriously screwy with what you are saying and honestly, what you are saying is not true. Do you know how much trouble a command would get in if they went back and altered records, especially the way you presented it to us?

Comment

Originally posted by DarkStorm View Post
                      Currently active Army, my battalion commander has offered our unit an early exit from the military under an honorable discharge.
                      You say they are offering an exit 'under' honorable discharge, not that they are offering 'an honorable discharge'. I am not trying to pick on semantics... but are you referring to a General Discharge UNDER Honorable Conditions? Or an actual Honorable Discharge? They are two different things..

Forgive my lay knowledge, Mr. Incognito will correct me if I'm wrong, but Service members normally receive an Honorable Discharge when they complete their tour of duty and their service meets or exceeds the required standards of duty performance and personal conduct. In the language of Army Regulation 635-200, Enlisted Separations, a discharge characterized as “Honorable” is appropriate where the Soldier’s service is “… so meritorious that any other discharge would be clearly inappropriate.”

A “General, Under Honorable Conditions” Discharge (commonly referred to as a General Discharge) is for service members whose service was satisfactory, but involved situations where the Soldier’s conduct and/or performance of duty were not so meritorious to warrant an Honorable Discharge. Recipients of General Discharges usually have engaged in minor misconduct or have received nonjudicial punishment under Article 15, UCMJ. While the “under honorable conditions” terminology is slightly confusing, there is a clear disadvantage to receiving a General Discharge in contrast to an Honorable Discharge. While recipients of a General Discharge will receive entitlement to benefits such as VA medical and dental services, VA home loans and burial in national cemeteries, they will not receive educational benefits under either the Montgomery or Post-9/11 GI Bill.

So if you receive the latter, you may not be able to necessarily skip off into the sunset with your GI Bill and live happy as a civilian, as you mentioned....

Comment

Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
                        I think you would honestly regret it down the line if you took this as the way out. You may find you want to serve again, as a lot of Soldiers do, and then find that the RE-3 and narrative either bar you from re-enlistment or make it quite the bear. I also find it appalling than any commander would actually resort to this method outside of trying to weed out the bad Soldiers.

My advice is ride it out until your ETS, separate under nothing but an RE-1, then come to the NG and get an MOS you like.
                        Gotta agree with this. Also any paper work they are showing you is only what they are recommending, not what you'll actually get.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
                          Ok OP, so... do you think it is legal or moral for a commander to go back and alter passing APFT scores to show not passing? You do realize that the DA Form 705 is a legal record of performance. There is something seriously screwy with what you are saying and honestly, what you are saying is not true. Do you know how much trouble a command would get in if they went back and altered records, especially the way you presented it to us?
                          Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                          You say they are offering an exit 'under' honorable discharge, not that they are offering 'an honorable discharge'. I am not trying to pick on semantics... but are you referring to a General Discharge UNDER Honorable Conditions? Or an actual Honorable Discharge? They are two different things..

Forgive my lay knowledge, Mr. Incognito will correct me if I'm wrong, but Service members normally receive an Honorable Discharge when they complete their tour of duty and their service meets or exceeds the required standards of duty performance and personal conduct. In the language of Army Regulation 635-200, Enlisted Separations, a discharge characterized as “Honorable” is appropriate where the Soldier’s service is “… so meritorious that any other discharge would be clearly inappropriate.”

A “General, Under Honorable Conditions” Discharge (commonly referred to as a General Discharge) is for service members whose service was satisfactory, but involved situations where the Soldier’s conduct and/or performance of duty were not so meritorious to warrant an Honorable Discharge. Recipients of General Discharges usually have engaged in minor misconduct or have received nonjudicial punishment under Article 15, UCMJ. While the “under honorable conditions” terminology is slightly confusing, there is a clear disadvantage to receiving a General Discharge in contrast to an Honorable Discharge. While recipients of a General Discharge will receive entitlement to benefits such as VA medical and dental services, VA home loans and burial in national cemeteries, they will not receive educational benefits under either the Montgomery or Post-9/11 GI Bill.

So if you receive the latter, you may not be able to necessarily skip off into the sunset with your GI Bill and live happy as a civilian, as you mentioned....
                          Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
                          Gotta agree with this. Also any paper work they are showing you is only what they are recommending, not what you'll actually get.
                          Excellent responses. Perhaps Mr. Incog can attest to this but this form of chapter will go up to Brigade S1 and if the Soldier has over 3 years AD; they can request an admin discharge board.

OP, you do not have to be sold this bill of goods. Just pass your PT/tape and leave the service on full honorable terms. Anything less, will afford some form of prejudice down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris36 View Post

While the reg states what the intent is, unless the chapter that is used to separate specifically forbids a honorable discharge, it can still be issued. Weight, APFT, Pregnancy, hardship and those types of scenarios usually still leave with a honorable. Additionally, the chapters that state an OTH should be used, frequent give general discharges because to give an OTH you have to do a separation board. Units dont want to do all that work.

Comment

Yes, you confirmed. The board can happen if recommending an OTH.

Comment

Working...
                              X