X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General question about discharges

My ex-wife & I were members back in the late 1970's (1975-1979) in (for me) the 140th Signal Bn., CO ArNG out of the Aurora Armory in the Denver area.
    My ex is wanting to know how she could obtain a copy of her discharge papers (NG equivalent of the DD-214) from her unit, which was an MP unit that drilled at the same time and place as mine.
    How would/could she get this information? Who could she contact, either there, or at a National level for these documents? According to her, there was a fire at the Aurora Armory some time ago and many of their records were lost.

Mike Belanger
    former SP4, 140th Sig. Bn, COArNG
    Last edited by SP4Mike; May 5th, 2013, 11:55 AM.

Re: General question about discharges

Here you go Spec 4

http://www.ngbpdc.ngb.army.mil/forms/ngbf22.htm

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/showthread.php/14837-How-to-get-my-NGB-22-form

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...g-to-re-enlist

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...scharge-papers

Comment

OK, secondary question (same subject):
      About 3 years after we were in, I obtained a Conditional Release from my unit to go Active Duty in the US Navy (2/1975); she then requested a transfer to the FL ArNG (once I got PDS in Jacksonville - I don't know what her unit was there); after our son was born, according to her, she completely forgot about going to drills - I don't know if they released her or not (neither does she). Is there a way she can find out? Obviously she's afraid that they might have reported her as AWOL or at the very least, UA and doesn't want to get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by SP4Mike View Post
        OK, secondary question (same subject):
        About 3 years after we were in, I obtained a Conditional Release from my unit to go Active Duty in the US Navy (2/1975); she then requested a transfer to the FL ArNG (once I got PDS in Jacksonville - I don't know what her unit was there); after our son was born, according to her, she completely forgot about going to drills - I don't know if they released her or not (neither does she). Is there a way she can find out? Obviously she's afraid that they might have reported her as AWOL or at the very least, UA and doesn't want to get into trouble.
        When she goes to the below link, extracts the form and sends it to St. Louis, hopefully she can receive the discharge forms that will show what was her last discharge status. There is no such thing as AWOL while serving in the NG because they do not fall under the UCMJ (unless when activated under title 10).

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/mil...-form-180.html
        Last edited by Chief Kemosabe; May 5th, 2013, 04:20 PM.

Comment

While I was in Active Army, I was an E3. I was discharged as a chapter 11. If I join the National Guard, Will I still be an E3?

Comment

Depends on what you had an E-3 for. Usually JROTC will carry over since its a form of training. When did you get separated? What is your RE Code?

Reason being, a Chapter 11 - "Soldier qualifies for separation under this chapter if the soldier displays unsatisfactory performance or minor disciplinary infractions as evidenced by inability, lack of reasonable effort, or failure to adapt to the military environment."

Not exactly a good one to have.

Comment

I had E-3 for 3 years of NJROTC. I got separated 11/04/2011. What is RE? Reentry code?

Comment

Originally posted by demonstar31 View Post
                While I was in Active Army, I was an E3. I was discharged as a chapter 11. If I join the National Guard, Will I still be an E3?
                Yes or lower

I had E-3 for 3 years of NJROTC. I got separated 11/04/2011. What is RE? Reentry code?
                Yes it is.

Comment

thanks. My RE is code 3. what does that mean?

Comment

I am confused about the NJROTC and then the separation. Were you in the Guard or active duty? Do you have an NGB-22 or DD-214?

Comment

okay, I'm sorry. I'm trying not to confuse anyone, but I'm bad at this. I took NJROTC in high school. Because of that, I was an E-3 when I joined the active army. When I got separated, I was first told I could rejoin after six months. The problem is I don't know if I will be an E-3 if I join the Guard. As for the Form, it is a DD-214. The separation was because I was having depression issues after my grandmother died and they (the army) wouldn't let me go home for a week. That's all I asked for and they wouldn't let me... Sorry, it's still a bad memory.

Comment

Ok, an RE-3 for depression is going to be an uphill battle if not impossible. It is going to require a medical waiver for a mental condition and I believe those are currently suspended (a recruiter will chime in shortly.. or Mr.Incog )

As for the E-3, odds are yes, you would keep it since it was from NJROTC.

Comment

okay, I'm sorry. I'm trying not to confuse anyone, but I'm bad at this. I took NJROTC in high school. Because of that, I was an E-3 when I joined the active army. When I got separated, I was first told I could rejoin after six months. The problem is I don't know if I will be an E-3 if I join the Guard. As for the Form, it is a DD-214. The separation was because I was having depression issues after my grandmother died and they (the army) wouldn't let me go home for a week. That's all I asked for and they wouldn't let me... Sorry, it's still a bad memory.
                          You will need a waiver and medical documentation clearing you of depression. If you get in, this will take a very long time. You really need to have a recruiter take a look at your situation.

Comment

ok, thank you for your time and patience.

Comment

Working...
                            X