Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Prior Service age issue Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Prior Service age issue

    I'm just looking for some advice. I'm PS (3 years AD) RE:1, been out since 2005. I started thinking about the NG a while back and looked into it and was told I was too old. But every now and then I check back as I know the rules change. SO currently, I'm 39 and according to the NG page, I'm eligible. The age requirement say's that PS members must be qualified for retirement by age 60 (20 yrs of service). So 39-3=36...so in the eyes of the NG, I'm 36, which means I could retire before age 60, right?
    So I contacted a recruiter and was told I was "probably too old." I want to enlist as a 09S and go to OCS. But if I absolutely can't go to OCS, I would still enlist. Everything I see on age tells me that I'm not too old. Should I just look for a new recruiter? I realize I'm not very desireable from a recruiter's perspective. But I'm just trying to get in.

    Thanks for any/all replies.

  • #2
    Re: Prior Service age issue

    You should still be eligible for OCS, so long as you can actually commision before your 42nd birthday (real age, not subtracting any years of service).

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Prior Service age issue

      I looks like with your prior service and what not, you are good on the age. Unless something changed, the age limit is 42. I know Class 54 has some new LT who were danger-close to not making it if they BOLO'd something....

      As for straight up enlisting, I'm not too sure about that. I know a SME will pipe up shortly (NYGuardRec comes to mind). Having a recruiter say you are "probably too old" is not the right answer.

      As always, check out a recruiter (or a different recruiter) for the actual current regs.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Prior Service age issue

        BTW, I am AD and curious when you started ACAPing that you did not look into the Guard or Reserve in 2005.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Prior Service age issue

          Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
          BTW, I am AD and curious when you started ACAPing that you did not look into the Guard or Reserve in 2005.
          Fair question...I left AD on 2005 and didn't really consider the NG or Reserve. Various reasons that I thought were all good at the time. Some were good reasons, some were not so good. As the years rolled by, I began to think that it would have been wise to transition to NG or Reserve in 2005. I considered joining the NG in 2010 but my wife and I were running a small business and I was working full time outside of the business and I just didn't feel like I should bite off a large OCS sized chunk with so much else going on. I was literally working 90-100 hours per week.
          So I've thought about it a lot over the past few months and finally decided I liked the idea enough to start seriously looking into it. We sold our business in 2011, moved cross country in 2012 and now we're pretty much settled into life.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Prior Service age issue

            Originally posted by matt_1973 View Post
            Fair question...I left AD on 2005 and didn't really consider the NG or Reserve. Various reasons that I thought were all good at the time. Some were good reasons, some were not so good. As the years rolled by, I began to think that it would have been wise to transition to NG or Reserve in 2005. I considered joining the NG in 2010 but my wife and I were running a small business and I was working full time outside of the business and I just didn't feel like I should bite off a large OCS sized chunk with so much else going on. I was literally working 90-100 hours per week.
            So I've thought about it a lot over the past few months and finally decided I liked the idea enough to start seriously looking into it. We sold our business in 2011, moved cross country in 2012 and now we're pretty much settled into life.
            For your sake and those who went before you in those prior OCS classes, I'm glad you had the forsight to do that. NG OCS requires more time commitment and mental will than just showing up and executing at drill, even if you end up in the Accelerated route. I wish best of luck to you if you pursue the 09S route and we'll do our best to help you through it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Prior Service age issue

              Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
              For your sake and those who went before you in those prior OCS classes, I'm glad you had the forsight to do that. NG OCS requires more time commitment and mental will than just showing up and executing at drill, even if you end up in the Accelerated route. I wish best of luck to you if you pursue the 09S route and we'll do our best to help you through it.
              Thank you sir, I appreciate your comment. I want to pursue this but I'm reasonable. I've been sitting behind a desk for a while and my physical condition is solid proof of that. So I'm watching what I eat very closely and running a lot, as well as other things. I was a marathon runner once upon a time-did my last marathon in September 2012. So while I've certainly let myself go since then, I'm not starting from scratch. I know what to do to my body-and I'm doing it. Just takes time.
              The big concern I've had was the age issue. But it seems I'm good to go on that? I guess I just got the recruiter who didn't want to bother. One question for anyone who may have an opinion: As I said, I'm working on the physical part. I'll likely be where I need to be...probably by July, maybe August at the latest. Should I not even bother with a recruiter before then? I don't want to waste anyone's time. I've done a lot of research and I have a lot of what the recruiter will ask for. So should I just wait until I'm closer to where I need to be physically? Or should I find a recruiter now?

              Thank you for any and all replies. I appreciate everyone's time.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Prior Service age issue

                You are good to enlist under current criteria.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Prior Service age issue

                  I was just approved and I'm 41 (with 11 yrs AD but the formula still works).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Prior Service age issue

                    Originally posted by rnesser View Post
                    I was just approved and I'm 41 (with 11 yrs AD but the formula still works).
                    Have fun in Accelerated!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Prior Service age issue

                      Originally posted by rnesser View Post
                      I was just approved and I'm 41 (with 11 yrs AD but the formula still works).
                      Good luck troop.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Prior Service age issue

                        Thanks gang, I appreciate the wishes (even if they're facetious!), I'm gonna need it I think. I enlisted today, I think as the newest SGT in the Oregon Army National Guard.

                        What's "Accelerated"?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Prior Service age issue

                          I've been out of pocket for the last week and I just saw your PM. Just lookup AOCS, or Accelerated OCS, on this site. Plenty of discussion about it. It's an 8-week fast track option available for some that puts you through OCS the fastest.

                          "Typically," though not 100% consistent across the board, most states are very selective on who they send. Prior-service soldiers typically make the cut because of their experience and likelihood of graduating the course because of it's quick TEMPO. Soldiers with no institutional knowledge and no prior experience tend on average to do worse in AOCS as far as statistics go so some states are very weary of who they send now.

                          Either way, best of luck to you if you pursue OCS!

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X