• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: prior service....getting out of NG early , need advice

armystudyguide.com is a good resource as well

Comment

you are welcome

armystudyguide.com is a good resource as well.

http://www.armystudyguide.com/educat...1-gi-bill.html

Comment

I will look into that also. I do plan to have a second meeting with my CO. If he does not grant my wish to be me put back into the IRR I will make my decision on which way I go about this. On that second link. I already am using the post 9/11 gi. bill so I am already qualified. I don't think the NG can take that away? maybe I am wrong? again, yes that site was non-profit. But was told since I got a H/D , I would still be able to use my benefits from them just not the NG gi bill.

Comment

Until you've completed your 8 yr MOS you don't receive an Honorable Discharge. On your DD214 it may read Honorable for Character of Service but that doesn't mean Honorable Discharge.

Look into ING, Inactive National Guard. This allows you to have up to a two year break from the Guard but it's added to your contract. Your CO may just be hesitant to lose a number, nothing personal. If you're ING, you still count toward the unit strength numbers.

Comment

There are plenty of JAGs in Ohio. I'm one of them (but too new to be much of a use for you). Don't skip your AT the options for you go from bad to worse.

That said, I think you're going at it from the wrong direction. Talk to your professors. I can't imagine that they would not work with you on this point. If that doesn't work speak with the Dean.

Comment

Originally posted by combatvet00 View Post
              I would consider a G.I. hotline a reputable source over yahoo.answers. I tried talking to jag lawyer but guess there is none in the state of Ohio? or what I was told when I called Wright Patt Air force base
              GI Rights Hotline called me today and informed/confirmed that the Post 9/11 GI benefits will not be lost if you get involuntary separated from the Guard. Nevertheless, I would not want to leave the service under those conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                GI Rights Hotline called me today and informed/confirmed that the Post 9/11 GI benefits will not be lost if you get involuntary separated from the Guard. Nevertheless, I would not want to leave the service under those conditions.
                +1. I would recommend that readers peruse this forum, and see all the threads from former Soldiers who got out of service in a bad way, and now regret it for various reasons. This sort of thing has a way of harming you years later in ways you can't imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by combatvet00 View Post
                  I did 3.5 years in Active duty, one 15month deployment. I got out with a honorable discharge. I joined the Ohio NG 2 1/2 years ago on a 6yr contract. I did not receive a bonus and I am not using the NG G.I. Bill. I am In college (post 9/11)and my CO will not sign me out into the IRR so I can complete my classes since I have finals on the same dates as AT. And they will not let me do a alternative AT on different dates. I know if I miss 9 muta days I get a "general discharge/OTH."

1. Would that take away my VA benefits?
                  2. Will I lose my 'Active" post 9/11 G.I?
                  3. Will it hurt my chances of a job since I have a H/D from active?
                  4. what are my options?
                  AT days and UTA's are not the same. You are correct about missing 9 UTA's spread over 3 drills and they can start the speration packet on you. While the commander can seperate you for missing AT even if it's for one day, it's more a gray area and not recommended. Even then, if you were to drill the next month you would be considered a recovery and most likely the packet will stop.

Use the commander's open door policy and try to work it out or try to work with your school in regards to your tests.

Comment

Working...
                  X