X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• prior service....getting out of NG early , need advice

I did 3.5 years in Active duty, one 15month deployment. I got out with a honorable discharge. I joined the Ohio NG 2 1/2 years ago on a 6yr contract. I did not receive a bonus and I am not using the NG G.I. Bill. I am In college (post 9/11)and my CO will not sign me out into the IRR so I can complete my classes since I have finals on the same dates as AT. And they will not let me do a alternative AT on different dates. I know if I miss 9 muta days I get a "general discharge/OTH."

1. Would that take away my VA benefits?
    2. Will I lose my 'Active" post 9/11 G.I?
    3. Will it hurt my chances of a job since I have a H/D from active?
    4. what are my options?

Re: prior service....getting out of NG early , need advice

Your latest discharge supersedes all others. Another option is talking to your Professor about re-scheduling the tests. Do not run your military service by getting involuntary separated by the Guard. It is not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
      Your latest discharge supersedes all others. Another option is talking to your Professor about re-scheduling the tests. Do not run your military service by getting involuntary separated by the Guard. It is not worth it.
      Interesting. I was talking to a Military hotline that deals with active duty AWOL Soldiers, and was told the NG discharge cant over weigh an Active duty H/D? Just curious why they would tell me that.

Comment

From experience, when I applied for law enforcement and when I came back on active duty; I had to show all the discharges for the periods of service I had on my application. You do not think if you have a OTH from this year; that your AD discharge will outweigh it?

Comment

I am just going by what I was told from that hotline. It would make sense the active duty would out weigh a OTH but could be looked at both ways. I am unsure and would guess that If I miss the muta's would the company put me in the IRR? would I get the OTH letter? I am not sure how that would work out. I understand a job for being a cop they would look back on all service history.

From talking to that hotline, I was told Active is still out weighs it, I would still get my VA benefits, school. etc. But i figured I wold come here and still ask more questions. I am curious why we would say those things, and you are telling me different? (I am not saying you are wrong)
          Last edited by combatvet00; April 29th, 2013, 07:12 PM.

Comment

If you do not show up for drills; you will receive your NGB 22 in the mail with it "soldier unavailable to sign". If you have years remaining of your 8-obligation, you will be assigned to the IRR control group. You will also receive an RE-3 code which will hinder your chances of re-entering the service.

Give me the number to the hotline and I will check for myself.

Comment

yes I am with-in my 8yr window

http://girightshotline.org/en/
              Last edited by combatvet00; April 29th, 2013, 07:18 PM.

Comment

nvm you cant receive PM's

http://girightshotline.org/en/

Comment

Thank you.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8073259AATAqPt

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

Your LATEST discharge is the one that supersedes all prior discharges. You could have SIX honorable discharges - and your General Under Honorable discharge will trump them all, since it is your last one.

You should have coordinated this BEFORE you moved, since NG service is STATE service.

You will be given a horrible RE Code as well - so don't count on EVER getting back in the service.

Source(s):

i served in the military for a LONG time.

Trying to find a more reputable source.

Comment

Thank you.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...8073259AATAqPt

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

Your LATEST discharge is the one that supersedes all prior discharges. You could have SIX honorable discharges - and your General Under Honorable discharge will trump them all, since it is your last one.

You should have coordinated this BEFORE you moved, since NG service is STATE service.

You will be given a horrible RE Code as well - so don't count on EVER getting back in the service.

Source(s):

i served in the military for a LONG time.

Trying to find a more reputable source.

Comment

I would consider a G.I. hotline a reputable source over yahoo.answers. I tried talking to jag lawyer but guess there is none in the state of Ohio? or what I was told when I called Wright Patt Air force base
                      Last edited by combatvet00; April 29th, 2013, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by combatvet00 View Post
                        I would consider a G.I. hotline a reputable source over yahoo.answers. I tried talking to jag lawyer but guess there is none in the state of Ohio? or what I was told when I called Wright Patt Air force base
                        That is why I wrote on the bottom that I was looking for more sources but at least I found something that matched with what I wrote. But I called that number and it is a non-for-profit and I get a recording lol.

But I wrote my first response because that is what every Army and Marine recruiter told me when I switched branches and components and I had to supply them all my discharge certificates. That even happened when I went to the VA. If you want a reputable source, call your state's or any other state's JAG or wait for Mr. Incognito to respond.

Comment

I called Wright Patt Airforce base and they would not give me a number to JAG for the state. I found no info online for a number. I never had to call them so I dont really know where to look.

Comment

http://www.moaa-nh.org/Do_You_Qualif...s_Benefits.htm

(2) Any veteran who was discharged under conditions other than dishonorable. With certain exceptions, service beginning after September 7, 1980, as an enlisted person, and service after October 16, 1981, as an officer, must be for a minimum of 24 continuous months or the full period for which the person was called to active duty (as in the case of a Reservist called to active duty for a limited duration). Undesirable, bad conduct, and any other type of discharge other than honorable may or may not qualify the individual for veterans benefits, depending upon a determination made by a VA Regional Office. Cases presenting multiple discharges of varying character are also referred for adjudication to a VA Regional Office.

http://www.ong.ohio.gov/frg/FRG_benefits.html

JAG Office – Legal
                            614-336-7022

Comment

thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X