Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Needing to find some answers regarding Prior Service Age Requirement Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needing to find some answers regarding Prior Service Age Requirement

I am trying to "re-enlist" at the age of, will be 38. I had joned the WIARNG in 2007 and had a medical issue come about prior to me shipping to BCT, which required surgery. I was able to get a "general discharge" in 2008. Would I be considered "prior service", or would I need to start all over from scratch. I understand that if I need to begin as a "new" recruit, I would be considered "too old", but if am considered "prior service", I may be able to re-enlist and complete BCT and complete my goal. Any information would be very helpful.

Re: Needing to find some answers regarding Prior Service Age Requirement

Originally posted by lfd2875 View Post
    I am trying to "re-enlist" at the age of, will be 38. I had joned the WIARNG in 2007 and had a medical issue come about prior to me shipping to BCT, which required surgery. I was able to get a "general discharge" in 2008. Would I be considered "prior service", or would I need to start all over from scratch. I understand that if I need to begin as a "new" recruit, I would be considered "too old", but if am considered "prior service", I may be able to re-enlist and complete BCT and complete my goal. Any information would be very helpful.
    So you were in for basically a year (or little under a year) but never shipped to BCT? Chances are you'll be considered Glossary Non-Prior Service under some type of entry level separation. You never completed even 1 day of BCT, so it's unlikely you'd be in the Glossary Prior Service category.

Others can chime in. Only way to know is to get with a reruiter though. How would you be too old as a new recruit? I thought you could join until you turn 42.

Comment

If you never started from scratch (never went to BCT in the first place); then you need to start from scratch . You might be classified as non-glossary prior service since you have discharge papers but the best thing to do is talk to a recruiter. You better hurry before the enlistment age drops to 35.

Comment

I think as a "new" recruit, I would fall into the current guidelines or standards. Which, correct me if am not right, is 34 y/o for new recruits with no prior service, and I would be too old by today's standard. But thanks for the replies so far, still looking for more input and views.

Comment

The enlistment age cut-off dropped to 35 back in April of 2011. I should know--I enlisted at 38 on December of 2010.

Even if you were "prior service" you would have to have actual time in service, like a number of years, to offset your current age. For example: If you are currently 38 years of age, then you would have to have clocked at least 3 years of service, if not more, to offset your current age.

Comment

Here is some more information:

I just found my Discharge papers and I've got an RE3 Code, but I can't seem to find the SPD code. I have found that I have service of 1yr. How does this change the outlook.

Comment

Here's some more information:

I just came across my discharge documents, and I see that there is an RE3 Code, but I am not able to find any SPD code. I have also found that I was enlisted for just over 1 year before I was discharged. Does this change my scenario for re-enlisting?

Comment

Here's some more information:

I just came across my discharge documents, and I see that there is an RE3 Code, but I am not able to find any SPD code. I have also found that I was enlisted for just over 1 year before I was discharged. Does this change my scenario for re-enlisting?
                Again...

Even if you were "prior service" you would have to have actual time in service, like a number of years, to offset your current age. For example: If you are currently 38 years of age, then you would have to have clocked at least 3 years of service, if not more, to offset your current age.

Here's some simple math:

The current age limit to enlist is 35 years of age.

You are 38 years old. You have '1 year of enlisted service'.

38 - 1 = 37

Answer: 1 year of service is not enough time to offset your current age.

You can ask 50 different people the same question but you will get the same answer: NO.
                Last edited by VICEROY06; April 18th, 2013, 07:32 AM.

Comment

You have other options such as the ANG or Navy Reserves. The current enlistment age is 39.

Best of luck to you.

Comment

Age Limit Requirements:

Army Reserves - 35 (must ship to basic training prior to 35th birthday)
                    Army National Guard - 35 (changed from 42 in 2009)
                    Air Force Reserve - 34
                    Air National Guard - 40 (Changed from 34 in Aug 2009)
                    Naval Reserves - 39
                    Marine Corps Reserve - 29
                    Coast Guard Reserves - Age 39

Comment

Even the recruiter is little confused by definition of "prior service" and "glossary prior service" and "glossary non-prior service", or so he says. He said it's a grey area, since I fall into the "more than 180 days of service", but I also fall into the classification of "glossary non-prior service" since I have not completed any certification training. I just thought I would do some searching myself and I found what and how the Army defines prior service:

The Army defines “prior service” as any applicant with more than 180 days of military service, or those who graduated from military job-training (MOS/AFSC/Rating), regardless of time-in-service. Individuals with less than 180 days of military service, and/or those who have not completed military job-training are classified as “Glossary Prior Service,” and are processed the same as non-prior service recruits, with the exception that they must have a qualifying RE Code (or receive a waiver) on their DD Form 214.

CLEAR AS MUD!!!?

Comment

So to simplify and clarify, regardless of how you are processed do you meet the age requirement?

Comment

I do if I was able to enlist in the NG, according to the policy and the ability to acquire the retirement age of 60, I would have 22 years. This is where the grey area sits, if I was "prior service", I would be able to re-enlist up to age 42. However, I know where the Recruiters are coming from also, I would be accepted as every other "new" recruit, with the exception of needing a waiver with a good code, but since my age, it puts me over as a "new" recruit or "glossary non-prior service" candidate.

Thanks to all who replied, and I am still looking for more thoughts on this.

Comment

I was looking in the 601-210 regulation, and they don't mention anything about enlistment age being 35, it's all 42. So where do I find information on the "new" enlistment age, and the Publication was precedent issue to any conflicts also with RAR12MAR2013 re-issue?

Comment

Tell you what--Instead of making pointless entries in this thread why don't you go to a recruiter and get enlisted? No one on this discussion board can physically help you. Every official National Guard website on the world wide web is going to tell you that you can't enlist. This isn't about technicalities or finding loopholes. Either you have enough time in service to offset your current age or you don't. Either you can find a super magical recruiter that can smooth talk everyone at MEPS or you can't. But continuing to post and research a dead end is a waste of time. And nobody is going to appear in this thread and say 'you're right'.

Comment

Working...
                              X