Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Make it to 20 and beyond Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Make it to 20 and beyond

    Hi All,

    My goal is to work hard and get to 20 years and longer. I served 5 years active in the Marines in IT getting out as a E4 October 2012. I just joined a reserve unit in the Marines and drilled last weekend. I was planing on staying in the marines for another 5 years and then switching to the army NG going OCS (I have a BS in Math and Computer Science). My thinking being in the Marines they are kicking people out left and right. not a E6 by 10 years TIS your out etc. So to be certain I get to 20 I thought stay in the Marines till I'm 35 in 5 years and then become an army NG officer and as long as I do the bare min (I never do the bare min I always try to be the best) then I'll get there. I talked to a recruiter today and he said that I don't have to worry that If I go to OCS now I will get to 20 as long as I stay in weight standards, don't get convicted of felonies etc I can be a 20 year O3. That sounds good to me I would like to join the army NG sooner rather than later as long as i'm just as confident I can make 20. Is the recruiter right and if so does anyone have a link to the documents that support what he was saying?

    Also I'm a Financial Mathematician and I have some professional commitments coming up and he was trying to push me to go now. I imagine there is significant cuts going on now for the NG as well but there is still going to slots come a few months even years right?

    Thank you in advance.

  • #2
    Re: Make it to 20 and beyond

    Why waste time? If you qualified to go to OCS now; then go for it. I was IT in the Marines too and now an Army Signal Chief Warrant Officer.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Make it to 20 and beyond

      Originally posted by marine_ps View Post
      Hi All,

      My goal is to work hard and get to 20 years and longer. I served 5 years active in the Marines in IT getting out as a E4 October 2012. I just joined a reserve unit in the Marines and drilled last weekend. I was planing on staying in the marines for another 5 years and then switching to the army NG going OCS (I have a BS in Math and Computer Science). My thinking being in the Marines they are kicking people out left and right. not a E6 by 10 years TIS your out etc. So to be certain I get to 20 I thought stay in the Marines till I'm 35 in 5 years and then become an army NG officer and as long as I do the bare min (I never do the bare min I always try to be the best) then I'll get there. I talked to a recruiter today and he said that I don't have to worry that If I go to OCS now I will get to 20 as long as I stay in weight standards, don't get convicted of felonies etc I can be a 20 year O3. That sounds good to me I would like to join the army NG sooner rather than later as long as i'm just as confident I can make 20. Is the recruiter right and if so does anyone have a link to the documents that support what he was saying?

      Also I'm a Financial Mathematician and I have some professional commitments coming up and he was trying to push me to go now. I imagine there is significant cuts going on now for the NG as well but there is still going to slots come a few months even years right?

      Thank you in advance.
      Please tell us about being a financial mathematician.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Make it to 20 and beyond

        Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
        Please tell us about being a financial mathematician.
        Lol. OP, I need help in scenario analysis using the goal seek tool.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Make it to 20 and beyond

          Originally posted by marine_ps
          Thanks Chief. It's good to see Marines are having great success in the guard.
          I am Regular Army. I was former Guard so I like hanging out with them.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Make it to 20 and beyond

            Stuff that happened on my post today.


            Soldier's training in the distance


            Soldiers heading to the DFAC

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Make it to 20 and beyond

              Soldiers playing catch in the distance

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Make it to 20 and beyond

                Soldiers playing catch in the distance

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Make it to 20 and beyond

                  i need some advice im in the reserves thinking about guard , i have the kicker with the gi bill and the reason why i want national guard is because i want 11b infantry but i dont want to re new my contract , is it possible to join with out signing for 6 years and finish my 4 i have left

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Make it to 20 and beyond

                    Kevin, you have your own thread. Don't hijack others please.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Make it to 20 and beyond

                      Originally posted by marine_ps
                      I'm what's called an actuary. I take huge amounts of data, run them through different mathematical models, analyze the results and then try to forecast future financial outcomes mainly for small commercial workman's compensation. But I get the feeling I'm being mocked.
                      In the Army and Government world, what you describe is what we call an ORSA or Cost Analyst. They weren't mocking you persay, maybe they just didn't understand the term you used. Probably could have said actuary to begin with and it would have provided more definition.

                      But to jump on your question, now is the time to get into NG OCS and get through it especially with potential drawdowns and future budget constraints stemming from sequestration. Being prior service you'd possibly be a good candidate for Acclerated OCS, aka the 8-week fast track. You should look into it especially if you are qualified.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Make it to 20 and beyond

                        Originally posted by marine_ps
                        I'm what's called an actuary. I take huge amounts of data, run them through different mathematical models, analyze the results and then try to forecast future financial outcomes mainly for small commercial workman's compensation. But I get the feeling I'm being mocked.
                        You are acting like we are a bunch of morons. I know what an actuary is and does. I work in quantitative finance, but I would never call myself a "financial mathematician." If you don't have a PhD you aren't a mathematician, period.

                        Back on topic, you shouldn't have any issues making it to 20 years unless you get one of your (male) soldiers pregnant. Even if you somehow were forced from the officer ranks, you could almost definitely finish out your time as an enlisted soldier. Your pension would be calculated based on your highest paid years, which would be while you were in the O ranks.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Make it to 20 and beyond

                          Originally posted by marine_ps
                          I would never consider someone who doesn't know what my tiny occupation as a moron. But I do get blank stares all the time from great people when I say I'm an actuary. People have heard of the word finance and math so it's close enough though I agree with your definition of "financial mathematician" and wouldn't use it around people I know are familiar to the field. What do you do in quantitative finance?

                          Thanks for the response it's reassuring that I could make 20 as long as I don't get male soldiers pregnant. I had no idea you could go from officer to enlisted.
                          It's not as uncommon as you'd think. Going from officer to enlisted, that is. Maybe it wasn't clear, but the joke I was trying to make is that there are plenty of officers who engage in all sorts of misconduct but that only the absolute worst and most visible misconduct tends to result in disciplinary action.

                          I work in the research department for an algorithmic hedge fund in NYC. I develop trading and execution routines.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Make it to 20 and beyond

                            Originally posted by jwarren View Post
                            It's not as uncommon as you'd think. Going from officer to enlisted, that is. Maybe it wasn't clear, but the joke I was trying to make is that there are plenty of officers who engage in all sorts of misconduct but that only the absolute worst and most visible misconduct tends to result in disciplinary action.

                            I work in the research department for an algorithmic hedge fund in NYC. I develop trading and execution routines.
                            When I worked for investment banking in Manny Hanny, I use to see you guys in your cubicle pods; playing with Lexus/Nexus. I just returned to the trading floor and handled my market data support (Bloomberg).

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Make it to 20 and beyond

                              Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                              When I worked for investment banking in Manny Hanny, I use to see you guys in your cubicle pods; playing with Lexus/Nexus. I just returned to the trading floor and handled my market data support (Bloomberg).
                              Haha, I've been upgraded -- I've got my own office.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X