X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Par into a slot?

What does it mean when you are told you may have to enlist and then wait to be parred (sp?) into a slot for the MOS you want because there isn't a slot available currently? Has anybody run into this?

Re: Par into a slot?

Comment

lol thanks Chief. Anybody else out there? Recruiters?

Comment

My advice to you is DO NOT SIGN YOUR CONTRACT unless it has what YOU WANT in it!

It took me literally a year of waiting to get into an MOS that I wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post

I have no idea what it means. Just wanted to give kudos for this reply.

Comment

Don't sign any documents until you are comfortable with the obligations that you undertake. Ask your recruiter for a conference with his supervisor if you need some clarity that you aren't getting from him. It's your life, it can't be any more important to anyone else than it is to you.

Comment

LTC Ritchie, thanks for the response.

SlowOne, while you were waiting for the MOS you wanted, what did the unit have you do? Were you training with the unit you would be in with your new MOS or were you still acting as your former MOS? (I assume you reclassed in the guard after being on Active Duty)

Comment

Not familiar with being "parred" into a slot. They way it works, typically is, the Recruiter will find a slot for a specific MOS in a Unit. If you're looking for a rare MOS it may take some time, if at all to find that MOS.

I would advise you to do your research and come up with a list of 2-3 MOS's you would be willing to do. Keep in mind, those MOS's may not be available in your State or close to your home OR you may not qualify for what you want.

What MOS are you looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by RJD4313 View Post
                  LTC Ritchie, thanks for the response.

SlowOne, while you were waiting for the MOS you wanted, what did the unit have you do? Were you training with the unit you would be in with your new MOS or were you still acting as your former MOS? (I assume you reclassed in the guard after being on Active Duty)
                  SlowOne just enlisted. What everyone is trying to tell you in a round-about way is DO NOT enlist unless it is in the MOS you want. So you wouldn't be at a unit, you'd be keeping contact with your recruiter until the slot/MOS you want pops up as available.

If you enlist now...it will be for some other MOS, and you'll be obligated to it. That rules out your opportunity to try for the MOS you really want for a lengthy period of time (BCT, AIT, and waiting to Re-class somewhere down the road).

So just be patient and wait until your MOS opens up.

Comment

Originally posted by RJD4313 View Post
                    Yeah like eqmcclure stated I just recently swore in to the guard in March, with no prior service.
                    When I first started talking with my recruiter I made sure he understood what MOS's I was interested in and that I was not going to sign for anything less.
                    My first 5 MOS choices in order were:
                    1. 15R AH-64 "Apache" Repairer
                    2. 15T UH-60 "Blackhawk" Repairer
                    3. 15F Aircraft electrician
                    4. 15E Unmanned Aircraft Systems Repairer
                    5. 15G Aircraft Structural Repairer

I took the ASVAB and qualified for every MOS but 7 of them that the UTARNG had to offer. The problem I had was MOS availability, the units here in UT that operated the AH-64 and UH-60 helicopters were deployed. With the first two MOS choices looking slim to none at best, MOS's 15F and 15G fell in the same category because they are within the same unit.

Which brings me to my current MOS of 15E. I was dead set on my first two choices until I sat down and really took a look in to the unmanned career field. At that point I came to the conclusion that this MOS will serve me better in the future and went ahead with enlistment.

Sucks for me that I got an Aviation Field MOS and I will still be going in as an E1. Let me explain why it sucks, I have been working for an airline as an FAA Repairman for 6 years now. Have various certifications and ratings in the aviation field and still go in as an E1.

I'm 25 years old and wish I would have joined out of high school, but I probably would not have gone in to an MOS I would have liked. So in a way me joining at an older more mature age made me actually look at what I want now and where I want to be in the future. And not just get forced or pushed in to an MOS that would make me hate every minute of everyday I spent in the guard had I joined as a "young and dumb" kid out of high school.

Good luck to you and make sure its an MOS you will enjoy before you enlist!

Comment

Originally posted by SlowOne View Post
                      Sucks for me that I got an Aviation Field MOS and I will still be going in as an E1.
                      Do they still offer the Stripes for Skills program? From what I remember you have to pass an APFT and a few other easy tasks and you can get promoted to E-2/E-3 before you ship.

Comment

They still do offer the stripes for skills program, although I am hearing they are going to do away with it here in the near future. I do however have a stripes for skills checklist and have been working on accomplishing each task before I ship to Ft. Jackson 20130506.

RJD4313 research each MOS available to you, there is an abundance of information on the web. With what are able to gather on those MOS's you should be able to make a confident decision.

Comment

Originally posted by NYGuardRecruiter View Post
                          Not familiar with being "parred" into a slot. They way it works, typically is, the Recruiter will find a slot for a specific MOS in a Unit. If you're looking for a rare MOS it may take some time, if at all to find that MOS.

I would advise you to do your research and come up with a list of 2-3 MOS's you would be willing to do. Keep in mind, those MOS's may not be available in your State or close to your home OR you may not qualify for what you want.

What MOS are you looking for?
                          I was looking for 25B

Comment

Working...
                          X