Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS Active Navy E5 going to MEPS on Friday

Hello everyone,

After lurking the sight for a while, decided to register and make my first post lol. Anyway, i am a prior service E5 In the Navy. I did 10 years of active duty, got out in 2010 and plan on enlisting in the guard while at MEPS this friday the 5th after a 3 year break in service from getting out of the Navy. I will be enlisting as a 31B Military police and my goal is to eventually become a cop in the civilian world while serving in the guard.

My question is this... When i first talked with my recruiter he said E5 will not be a problem and that i would be able to keep that rank when i enlist with the guard. Now (just a few days before MEPS), he says that he has sent my package up as an E5, however once it is there, they may do a "grade/rank determination" and upon the results of that, i may have to enlist as an E4 instead of an E5, but he said i can still do 31B because there are slots available for both....

I really wanted to Enlist as an NCO and keep my stripes to so speak, as i was told that in the beginning that it is doable. I know life at BCT is much diffferent (better) for an E5 vs E4 and below.... especially since I am 31 with a family and 10 years of military experience.... Really did not want to start BCT from "scratch" so to speak. lol. Any insight on my issue? chances of my keeping E5 given my situation? Thanks!

Re: PS Active Navy E5 going to MEPS on Friday

We had a guy at RSP that did just what you did, was Navy for about 3-4 years then got out and came in as an E-5. Went to BCT as an E-5 too. He's now an E-5 31B and I saw him just last month at our state RTI MP Training Battalion.

Comment

This has been covered before in other posts but I'll give you the low-down....

Usually, whenever a prior service E-5 enlists, they do not keep their rank unless they were like USN SOCOM, USAF AFSOC/ACC or Marines.

There is a process for a Commander or State MILPO to over-ride that and it's just a matter of doing the legwork if its approved..

Comment

Well, seems like it can go either way then, i appreciate the reply's so far.

Comment

This is way out of my league, but as I read your post I wondered that even if you get dropped to E-4 is there a way to keep some of prior TIG for promotion purposes?

Comment

It can go either way, and honestly, it usually goes the way of "E-4". Keeping your E-5 from a sister service is pretty rare when coming to the Army.

Just be mentally prepared for it and determine ahead of time how you will handle that ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmac View Post
              This is way out of my league, but as I read your post I wondered that even if you get dropped to E-4 is there a way to keep some of prior TIG for promotion purposes?
              Good question... i would sure hope so though!

Comment

I'm prior service E-5, and I literally just got out of the Navy about 3 weeks ago. I was tryin to go AD in the Army and right before I got my 214, all the prior service jobs were pulled. So I decided to enlist in the NG. I'm pretty confident I have the answer to your question, by now you might already have it, but consider this me reassuring you with an answer. I just got done with MEPS on Friday, I swore in and got my contract. I get to keep E-5, and I believe it's because I haven't been out of service for more than 36 months. After 36 months I believe they do a grade determination or just ask you to come in at the previous lower grade. And after like 48 months you take 2 grades down. That's my understanding of it. I believe you can find the exact answer IAW AR 601-210 Ch. 3-18.

Comment

D
                  Originally posted by Bmac View Post
                  When I voluntary reduced to go on active duty. A clerk at division personnel corrected my TIG so I could go to the promotion board ASAP.

Comment

Working...
                  X