Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I want to get back in the guard today but I'm stuck in UT and moving to GA in April

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to get back in the guard today but I'm stuck in UT and moving to GA in April

I'm an 11b that got out of the VA guard in 2010 and was discharged from the IRR in 2012. I'm in Utah and will be transferring to GA for my job at the end of April. I really need to get back in the guard immediately. I have a child with a rare disorder and need to get my tricare coverage back so I can take him to his Dr. appointments next month. My employers healthcare has become unaffordable for my family and I need to get back in this month so I can enroll in TRS by April.

Also,
    I have a TS clearance
    I have 70 college credits, 90 credits by the end of summer
    6 years of service

I'm interested in enlisting as an 09s and going to OCS and if I can't do that right away I'd like to reclass to Intell.

My question is, what state guard should I enlist in if I'm about to move?

Should I join UT and immediately IST? If I do will my new state accept me as an 09s or honor my agreement to reclass with Utah?

Should I call the GA guard, work with them, then go to the MEPS in Salt Lake City to enlist?

I look forward to getting back in. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: I want to get back in the guard today but I'm stuck in UT and moving to GA in April

Join in the state that you are moving to. Every state has their own way of doing things and you may screw yourself. The state you're in may try and tell you other wise, but think of it this way. Do you think the other state would want to take care of you if they're not really getting the credit for the initial accession? Sounds harsh but tits true.

Comment

Re: I want to get back in the guard today but I'm stuck in UT and moving to GA in April

Originally posted by JDuncan View Post
      I'm an 11b that got out of the VA guard in 2010 and was discharged from the IRR in 2012. I'm in Utah and will be transferring to GA for my job at the end of April. I really need to get back in the guard immediately. I have a child with a rare disorder and need to get my tricare coverage back so I can take him to his Dr. appointments next month. My employers healthcare has become unaffordable for my family and I need to get back in this month so I can enroll in TRS by April.

Also,
      I have a TS clearance
      I have 70 college credits, 90 credits by the end of summer
      6 years of service

I'm interested in enlisting as an 09s and going to OCS and if I can't do that right away I'd like to reclass to Intell.

My question is, what state guard should I enlist in if I'm about to move?

Should I join UT and immediately IST? If I do will my new state accept me as an 09s or honor my agreement to reclass with Utah?

Should I call the GA guard, work with them, then go to the MEPS in Salt Lake City to enlist?

I look forward to getting back in. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
      If your goal really is 09S, do NOT enlist in UT and then try to IST to GA. Just enlist into GA as an 09S to start with. Not every state handles their OCS contracts the same, and you could end up getting shuffled around and ultimately screwed up in an IST. By the end of April, state's will already be spinning up their candidates for Phase 0/Phase 1 and you don't want to get caught out of sequence somewhere. That could leave you sitting around waiting either for Winter Accelerated (IF that's even an option given to you) or until the 2014 OCS class.

Even if you're trying to re-class enlisting straight into GA would be the way to go, because UT may have that Intel slot you want but GA may not have an opening for you to lateral in to.

Comment

Originally posted by All_rice View Post
        Join in the state that you are moving to. Every state has their own way of doing things and you may screw yourself. The state you're in may try and tell you other wise, but think of it this way. Do you think the other state would want to take care of you if they're not really getting the credit for the initial accession? Sounds harsh but tits true.
        Exactly. I'm worried of getting screwed over by Utah and not getting what they promised me when I move to GA.

Comment

All Rice is spot on. Get in touch with the GA people, specifically the OSM if you are wanting to go OCS and go from there. I have heard of people going to different MEPS sites for different states, but who knows. You may have to wait til you get to GA to do the actual legwork.

Make sure you have all of your documents ready to go (NGB-22, DD214, 1059s, etc). Stuff gets lost all the time and you may have to prove what you did, ya know?

Comment

Originally posted by JDuncan View Post
            Exactly. I'm worried of getting screwed over by Utah and not getting what they promised me when I move to GA.
            I'll concur with All Rice. There's an 09S sitting in my pre phase class right now getting laughed at because she's already IN the OCS program here BUT she wants to move to another state. It doesn't matter which state offers what. The whole point is you need to do your OCS business in the state you're moving into. You have to look at it from the state of Utah's position. 'We spent tens of thousands of dollars on you to become an officer in UTAH, but you want to hit the road and go live in ANOTHER state AFTER you commission here? Oh hellz no'.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice. I got in touch with the GA Guard and thats who I am going to work with. It will be alot less hassle to join GA instead of UT.

Comment

Working...
              X