Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a Marine Reservist transfer to a NG unit if nearest Marine unit > 100 miles away?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a Marine Reservist transfer to a NG unit if nearest Marine unit > 100 miles away?

Hi all -

I am asking this on behalf of someone else - I commanded a CA National Guard unit way back in the late 1980s and had troops with similar situations.

I know a young Marine reservist who has just been accepted to Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo - he wants to go to school there but the nearest Marine unit for his MOS is about 200 miles away. The nearest where he'd have to change MOS is 127 miles away.

Back in the day we'd get reservists transferring into our unit from other services because they had moved to our area and no units from their service existed in a 100 mile radius. Candidly I never bothered to learn the reg under which this happened - I was just happy to get slots filled on my TOE and the recruiters who placed them were happy to get the numbers.

Does such a reg now exist? Can one get an automatic service transfer among reserve components based on domicile to unit distance? Any hardship rules come into play (the cost to commute for drill will take up all of this E2's drill pay)?

If getting such a transfer is common knowledge that can be found via Google then I am using the wrong keywords - I just can't find any mention. Sorry if this has been covered on another thread that I didn't find.

Essayons.

Re: Can a Marine Reservist transfer to a NG unit if nearest Marine unit > 100 miles away?

I believe the Marine has to get a conditional release from the Marine Reserves to take to the NG Recruiter. Then there is the issue of MOS availability and what is transferable.

I went from Army Reserves to NG but this is a different animal.

Comment

Re: Can a Marine Reservist transfer to a NG unit if nearest Marine unit > 100 miles away?

Sir,

The Chief's spidey sense is right as usual. He should talk to a NG recruiter in the area he is moving to and then seek a conditional release DD 368 from his current Marine unit. There is no guarantee that the Marine's will release him (typically that's influenced by unit strength, but something like this is a significant hardship and I wouldn't think it would be a huge problem). The 368 can take a while to get actioned. Some commands require it to go up to the first flag officer in the chain for a signature. On the other hands some company level commanders don't know any better and sign it anyway...which is perfect as far as the receiving service is concerned. There was a PFC in my company just released TO the Marines, so tell him we can do a one for one swap.

Comment

Working...
      X