X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back in

I just enlisted back into the National Guard after an 8+ year break in service. If any prior service has any questions about coming back in feel free to ask me. If I can help from my experience I will, if not I can find some one who can. Side note: do not ask me about re codes and what if's, that is a recruiters job and chance.

Re: back in

how does it feel?

what was your MOS when you got out? and what is it now?

Comment

Congrats. I got back into the Guard after a 7 year break 15 years ago. How long to retirement?

Comment

@ Chief, I have about 9 years until the 20 mark.
        @ Momo, 11B then, 11B now. (I am DM trained but my eyes are not what they were!) I never really felt that I left, and then I felt guilty for not being there when my buddies deployed on other missions. I feel good, humble, and inspired.

Comment

Did you have to go to any training when you got back in? I've just started talking to a recruiter about coming back in the Army Guard. I'm 47 and have 11 years prior service in the Army Guard as a 95B/11A. The recruiter said that I would have to go to Little Rock where there is a National Guard training center.

Comment

No, I did not have to do any training. I basically said it was a deal breaker if I had to. However, you have been out longer than I was in. There may be a 'time' factor that I am not aware of.

Comment

I reenlisted after a 14 year break in service and did not have to attend any sort of training. I just had to report to the armory to in-process. I did a 2 year enlistment....due to the "try for 1 year" program having been phased out. So far so good. Thus far the monthly drills have not affected my civilian job which was a slight concern I had.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I'm just waiting on my recruiter to schedule my MEPS appointment. I would like to get that over with and get right back to it at the October or November drill.

Comment

Just curious what state your in and if you had to have any waivers

Comment

I came back in '07 after a 13 year break in service. I came over from the Air Force/Air Guard so the Army Guard sent me to the Warrior Transition Course down in Ft. Sill. I just received my retirement orders with 21 plus years of service. I am so happy I did this.

Comment

Originally posted by mayo View Post
                      I came back in '07 after a 13 year break in service. I came over from the Air Force/Air Guard so the Army Guard sent me to the Warrior Transition Course down in Ft. Sill. I just received my retirement orders with 21 plus years of service. I am so happy I did this.
                      Good for you. Since I am on active duty after leaving the Guard, the question comes up frequently on how many years of service I have. I say I have 23 years for pay but am heading towards 15 years of active duty service; you get that "Oh" response, as if my time in the Reserve and Guard was non-existent or not real. My current contract has me locked down until the beginning of 2015 where I will be considered INDEF but it probably not be wise to resign when I will be so close to 20 years of active service and an immediate pension compared to grey-area retire. But they do not understand, that at the current time, I have earned a retirement at 60 and could get the blue ID card in 16 months.

Comment

Working...
                      X