X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active duty Navy to 31b questions

This is my first post on this forum. I am currently an active duty ET(submarines) in the navy and I want to switch when I get out next year to the national guard while I go to school and try to pursue a career in law enforcement. I would love a job thats more physically challenging than what I do now. I had a few questions for anyone willing to answer.

1. Even if my job didnt need me to have a clearance would I be able to keep the one I have and renew when the time comes?

2. What are the chances of getting any special schools, such as airborne? May be a dumb question but Ive heard of 31Bs getting schools like that and having it in their contract when they join.

3. Would I be able to keep my rank (E5), what are the chances of getting an enlistment bonus, and getting the job I want?

I know you may not be able to give 100% answers on these questions but any info helps. Thanks!

Re: Active duty Navy to 31b questions

1. check with your unit S2 (intel) about that, if you can keep a security clearance (you should be able to).

2. Nope. National Guard doesnt send soldiers to special schools (airborne, air assault), unless youre going to be an officer.

3. yes you should be able to keep your rank as an E-5... the chances of getting an enlistment bonus is only when you get the critical MOS(jobs) that are available, not the one you want.

***Why dont you go to the Navy Reserves? Life is better.

Comment

You are incorrect with your number two answer.

Comment

Originally posted by momo83 View Post

2. Nope. National Guard doesnt send soldiers to special schools (airborne, air assault), unless youre going to an airborne unit.
        Fixed it for you.

Comment

1. check with your unit S2 (intel) about that, if you can keep a security clearance (you should be able to).

2. Nope. National Guard doesnt send soldiers to special schools (airborne, air assault), unless youre going to be an officer.

3. yes you should be able to keep your rank as an E-5... the chances of getting an enlistment bonus is only when you get the critical MOS(jobs) that are available, not the one you want.

***Why dont you go to the Navy Reserves? Life is better.
          Im looking into the navy reserves too, but honestly if Im going to stay in the military I would rather be doing something I enjoy rather than sitting in front of a computer, plus Im really hoping to get a job as a police officer and I think the training I would get as an 31b on top of what I have already received in the navy would make me a better candidate.

Comment

National Guard has airborne unit? where? Please dont say SF, cuz thats totally on a different stage.

Comment

Originally posted by hckruss View Post
              Im looking into the navy reserves too, but honestly if Im going to stay in the military I would rather be doing something I enjoy rather than sitting in front of a computer, plus Im really hoping to get a job as a police officer and I think the training I would get as an 31b on top of what I have already received in the navy would make me a better candidate.
              Cool, tracking. we're opposite - im done playing, and now wants to relax on a desk job.

Comment

Also, on question #3, Navy and AF personnel *usually* don't keep E-5 rank when they come into the Army b/c of the significant differences in the way the NCO Corps operates, promotes, etc. Of course, they are always exceptions (such as Navy SPECOPS/Warefare and AF Pararescue/Security Forces) but overall, expect to come in as an E-4 and to attend Army BCT.

To be sure, can you post your current MOS (or A-school... whatever ya'll call it)? Someone will be able to look it up for you and give you a straight answer.

Comment

OP, the Navy and the Army are at opposite ends of the universe. You are a bubblehead, a member of the silent service (Run silent, run deep). Why would you wish to give that up? Oh wait, maybe it's because in the reserves, you'd at best be relegated to a skimmer for AT, if that. May I ask what class you are on? Ah, the memories of the Vulcan death watch, midi-runs, angles and dangles run through my head. It kind of brings a small tear to my eye. Good luck either way shipmate.

Comment

National Guard has airborne unit? where? Please dont say SF, cuz thats totally on a different stage.
                    We have LRS airborne units here in GA and I'm sure other states do as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SierraBravo View Post
                      We have LRS airborne units here in GA and I'm sure other states do as well.
                      The 36th ID in Texas, Alaska and RI stood up an Airborne Unit about 4 years ago.... It's neat seeing a T-Patch with a tab!

Comment

^^ah, thats pretty awesome!

Comment

Working...
                        X