Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking informative criticism and advice for Army DRB

Hello,

I'd like to start by saying I was enlisted in the Active Army and served my 3 year 5 month tour in both Germany (3 Duty Stations) and Iraq (Only Deployment 15months). I've been a civilian as of my discharge on 30Mar2010 and I'm currently attending a state University under Chapter 33 Post 9-11 Benefits. I submitted a DD Form 293 within two months of discharge which I now know is basically pointless and could potentially prevent future positive results/feedback. Yes, it was returned roughly 8 months later and my request for an upgrade from Under Honorable Conditions (General) to Honorable was denied. I've been doing as most suggest both on the web and those I've asked here locally, by having an excellent post-service work history, college education, and keeping close contact with fellow Veterans as well as current service members (National Guard).

Information from my DD 214 reads:
    Separation Code: JKK
    RE Code: 4
    Narrative Reason: Misconduct (Drug Abuse) - First and only charge but it was a "drug-ring" that was busted and I was an un-knowing accomplice in it all. Yes, of my own accord, but... to know it resulted in such extreme measures truly changed my life.

It's been 3 years almost and I don't want to miss an opportunity to find myself capable of serving within the United States Armed Forces again, specifically, I'd like to enlist in the Arkansas National Guard. My intentions have been stated and I would like to provide the following documents as evidence to support my case:

1) College Transcripts (3.60 GPA, Dean's List, German Honor Society)
    2) My UALR VA Work Study time sheets - hoping to show my dedication and ability to work efficiently (Not my only job since discharge)
    3) My Certificate of Eligibility for my Post 9-11 Benefits - hoping to show that my service was honorable prior to discharge.
    4) Old PT Records during deployment - hoping to show I met physical standards throughout my career and during the times that count (deployment)
    5) A PT test recorded and signed by a local recruiter - To show I still meet the physical/weight/age requirements
    6) A DD Form 370 Request for Reference - So a recruiter may back me up in my efforts

Last, but not least... in Block 6: Why an Upgrade or Change is Requested and Justification for the Request on DD Form 293 I'd like to write:

"The reason for discharge based off my actions reflect poorly on myself and the U.S. Army. I've worked diligently to become a responsible individual with motivating goals and a focused drive since the day I was transitioned to a different Unit for my discharge. I'm hoping this can be verified via my last urinalysis prior to my discharge and the documents presented with this packet as evidence (For this forum, refer to the numbered statements). I work daily in the Veteran Affairs office of UALR with Veterans just like myself, but my only desire and reason for change is to serve in the U.S. Army National Guard. I've maintained physical standards and want nothing more than to serve along side my fellow Soldiers to help and honor my Country, family, and self."

I apologize for this being so much text and it's my first post but I feel this resource has many knowledgeable individuals. A few questions I'd like to ask are, I don't know how to collect information on my final Urinalysis prior to discharge and I don't have a packet explaining my discharge process so I'm sure that might be helpful. I believe overall I'm seeking advice, support (like go ahead and send this in), and both good and bad criticism. Thanks!

Re: Seeking informative criticism and advice for Army DRB

A misconduct for drug abuse is a no go on re-enlisting with no waivers available under the current suspension.

Comment

Alright,

I appreciate this information. I'll shoot for the Upgrade and wait and see if anything else might happen one day.

Thanks again,

Comment

Originally posted by Crow1 View Post
        Alright,

I appreciate this information. I'll shoot for the Upgrade and wait and see if anything else might happen one day.

Thanks again,
        If you are doing this to try and get back in, you are 100 percent wasting your time. Even if they upgrade the discharge, they are not going to change the RE code. The board does not change the RE code unless it is a true error. You don't lose any benfits with a General, so there is nothing to gain by doing this. Your time in uniform is permanently over.

Comment

Drug offenses are a major no-go. You destroyed any chance of re-entering. At least you got to see Germany for a few. I was up by Mannheim.

I thought (and this was I recalled from the 90s) that even if you had a General under Honorable, you lost your GI Bill benefits. I guess you can retain those. I knew someone that paid the 1200 for the GI Bill and he had a General under Honorable and lost the Montgomery GI Bill.

You are a combat veteran and at least get some satisfaction that you accomplished something that many do not. Use that military background for potential and growth in a good civilian career.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
            Drug offenses are a major no-go. You destroyed any chance of re-entering. At least you got to see Germany for a few. I was up by Mannheim.

I thought (and this was I recalled from the 90s) that even if you had a General under Honorable, you lost your GI Bill benefits. I guess you can retain those. I knew someone that paid the 1200 for the GI Bill and he had a General under Honorable and lost the Montgomery GI Bill.

You are a combat veteran and at least get some satisfaction that you accomplished something that many do not. Use that military background for potential and growth in a good civilian career.

Good luck.
            There are a tremendous amount of variables that determine when one loses VA benefits. There are inmates at Leavenworth using the GI Bill for online classes because they had an honorable first term of service before they got in trouble. What you got discharged with, when, level of courts martial all come into play when determining if you lose them.

Comment

Working...
            X