X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy Reserve E4 trying to transfer to Guard as 35M

Hi all, Im a Master At Arms 3rd class (E4) with a navy Maritime Expeditionary Security Squadron with about 1.5yrs left on my selected reserve contract.

My unit is decommissioning soon and my rate (MOS) is overmanned so a DD368 conditional release doesn't seem too difficult to get. I had a few questions I was hoping to run by everyone.

Ive been advised by some Guard recruiters that my Naval Security Force and Expeditionary Combat Skill training would be cause for me not having to attend BCT. Would you be able to shed some more light on the validity of that statement?

Would my recruiter be able to help me along with the DD368?

Being prior service, can my enlistment be less than the typical 6yrs?

Is getting the DLI in my contract even a possibility in the Guard? Ive heard ARNG is the best place to go to get DLI in contract.

And finally, I was hoping to join with the CA ARNG from VA. What kind of extra steps are needed?

I'm sorry for the barrage of questions! Ive just gotten conflicting information from the handful of recruiters I've spoken with.

Thanks everyone!

Re: Navy Reserve E4 trying to transfer to Guard as 35M

I can't comment on whether you'd need to complete Army BCT, because I've been out of recruiting too long, although as of a few years ago I can state that yes, Navy and Air Force personnel (aside from a few specialties, such as Seals and PJs) would need to complete Army BCT. A current recruiter will have the most current guidance on that topic.

You are welcome to join the Guard in any state you wish, although if you're not physically located in that state, it can get tricky. Will you fly to California each month for drill?

You may enlist for a shorter period than six years, because you've already completed most of your statutory MSO (see the post in my signature block for more gory details on that topic). Be advised that some benefits only come with a six year contract, so that is a topic to discuss with your recruiter as well.

The Guard only sends Soldiers to DLI if that is part of their MOS. You'd need to meet all qualifications for such an MOS (which are stringent) -- finding an open slot (which can be tricky), scoring well on the DLAB test, security clearance (although as a Master at Arms you've already got at least a SECRET, right?), and then actually completing the very long school. You have limited influence over the language that you learn, so be prepared to get assigned to Arabic, Farsi, Vietnamese, Mandarin, Korean, or Wolof.

Comment

Roger that thank you sir. I was told that lately the sec forces from usaf were exempt from bct and as navy sec for school is in the same school house even, I think it would make sense for USN sec for to be exempt. But ill follow up with the CA recruiter and post my findings.

As an MA I do already have secret, I don't know if the 35M will require a tsci but we'll see!

I plan on moving there either just before or just after attending AIT so Is make myself local.

As far as the 3yrs is concerned as long as the state education benefits are there I'm ok with missing any others.

Looks like its time to get to worth with a CA recruiter and get that DLAB and DD368

Thanks again Sir!

Comment

This could have changed in the last few months but:
        Army Directive 2011-02 (Initial Entry Training for Prior Service Personnel)

4. Prior service personnel entering the Reserve Components (RC) (Army National Guard and U.S. Army Reserve) will go straight to their RC unit regardless of the length of their break in service if they:

Completed Army or Marine Corps basic training, or Completed training for Air Force or Navy Special Operations Forces, or Air Force Security Police.

Comment

Thanks for that I was looking for that in writing. The thing that gets me is, AF security. Navy Sec For school is in the same school house, with, from what I could tell, an even more combatives-focused curriculum.

Ive been trained in land-nav, water-nav, small arms (M9,500,4,240,2HB) and Mk19 and M203. Hand to hand, ROE, and so on. Its as if they aren't aware that the Navy has this type of training for those outside the Special Warfare community.

Comment

So the thread that you created a few weeks ago didn't answer your question?

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...tionary+Combat

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
              So the thread that you created a few weeks ago didn't answer your question?

http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...tionary+Combat
              Apologies, I have been posting a few different boards, and lost track of that thread.

I am not intending to ruffle feathers. To all those offended from the other thread, never meant any inflammatory comments or anything to degrade the difficult of any other service.

For the record, I'm not comparing USN EXW Security training to Air Force Special Tactics in terms of difficulty. I don't necessarily define myself by the difficulty of my training physically.

My intention is to get some clarification on the ARNG reg. I understand the reg states Navy SpecWar/SpecOps and Air force Special Tactics and Security Forces are exempt from BCT. I believe this is a simple oversight and I was wondering if this is waverable or if there was a contact I could appeal my case to. My recruiter and I are both working on this together but I figured it couldn't hurt to do a little extra digging.

Don't want to make a bad rep for myself already, I'm just trying to look out for myself and my future career. Thanks in advance for your help anyone!

Comment

I was a CTI2(SW) when I was AD USN in the nineties. Having attended DLI during that time, and having just recently made the transition to Army National Guard (I'm 09-Sierra MOS and ship to BCT in a few weeks) from Navy Reserve myself, I could probably answer some of your questions, but I wouldn't do so here. PM me with your burning questions about life on the Presidio and in intel more generally, if you'd like.

Nice to see I'm not the only former squid on this side!

Comment

Originally posted by MasterAtArms View Post
                  Apologies, I have been posting a few different boards, and lost track of that thread.

I am not intending to ruffle feathers. To all those offended from the other thread, never meant any inflammatory comments or anything to degrade the difficult of any other service.

For the record, I'm not comparing USN EXW Security training to Air Force Special Tactics in terms of difficulty. I don't necessarily define myself by the difficulty of my training physically.

My intention is to get some clarification on the ARNG reg. I understand the reg states Navy SpecWar/SpecOps and Air force Special Tactics and Security Forces are exempt from BCT. I believe this is a simple oversight and I was wondering if this is waverable or if there was a contact I could appeal my case to. My recruiter and I are both working on this together but I figured it couldn't hurt to do a little extra digging.

Don't want to make a bad rep for myself already, I'm just trying to look out for myself and my future career. Thanks in advance for your help anyone!
                  If for some reason, you are required to attend Army BCT; would that be a deal breaker? Since it is difficult for prior service to enter; if given the opportunity to re-enter on the service's terms; I would still take it.

Comment

I also came over from the Navy. I was an active duty corpsman with the Marines, and Navy reserves with MSRON ( Maritime Expeditionary Security Squadron) including having my SRF- B cert, FMF Warfare pin, and Combat Action Ribbon. I came into the National Guard also as an 09S, and I was actually IN OCS when I was dropped from the course because I had not attended BCT. My recruiter had told me because of my experience I did not have to. The regulation is very specific and there is no waiver for " I sorta did the same thing", Regs are Regs. After this setback I resolved to finish the mission, attending BCT as a SGT, and I will attend OCS again this summer. I at least can use the experience to learn more about the Army in hopes it will make me a better leader. The Army is a change from the Navy, but "the juice is worth the squeeze". Attend BCT so your not caught like I was, and then move on to a successful career. Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X