X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RC transition VS NG Recruiter after active duty military

Hello. I have been on active duty for 4 years and now I am getting ready to get out of the army and head on to college, I currently have the minimum # of Credit hours to join the guard as a 09S (officer cadet). I still want to go to school to finish up my degree and then also work on my masters.
    Things you may need to know
    • SLRP(meaning i signed away my MGIB)
    • Post 911 is good but i only receive 60% due to 3yrs for SLRP and 1 yr for Post911 of my 4 yr contract
    • 90+ Credit hours
    • Active Duty Army
    • End Goals are to become a officer pilot in the active army or NG

My question is this = I need to know the differences of going through RC Transition branch (located on base) and just using a nation guard recruiter.
    TEXAS is the state
    From what they have been telling me so for is that
    RC Transition is able to sign you up before active duty contract ends (meaning no break in service)
    RC Transition is able to give some type of special medical benefits that NG Recruiters cant? (not sure about this one)
    RC Transition is NOT able to sign me on as a 09S but rather i have to join as my current MOS and then when i get to my unit i have to have them do my paper work for 09S (Meaning i dont have a contract stating 09S and they can do whatever they want to me)
    RC Transition is able to give me a 2yr contract and stabilization as well as taking away 2yrs of my current total obligation to the army (the 4 yrs you can be called back on to do additionally)

NG Recruiter is able to sign me the day after my separation from the army, but would cause a break in service, (dont know what that means but was told that would happen)
    NG Recruiter is able to sign me as a 09S with a 3 yrs contact.

I need to know what other things am i not being told and also what route gives me the most amount of money to go to school with.
    Last edited by David; December 6th, 2012, 02:11 PM.

Re: RC transition VS NG Recruiter after active duty military

Originally posted by David View Post

SGLI (meaning i signed away my MGIB)

Post 911 is good but i only receive 60% due to 3yrs for SGLI and 1 yr for Post911 of my 4 yr contract
    Huh? What does your life insurance have to do with your GI Bill??

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
      Huh? What does your life insurance have to do with your GI Bill??
      Sorry about that. was meaning the SLRP (Student loan repayment)
      Last edited by David; December 6th, 2012, 02:10 PM.

Comment

It sounds like the RC transition team is giving you a line of crap. How can they offer better benefits then a recruiter?

The only one on that list I'd do a little more research on is the reduction in your MSO. I haven't seen that one in a while. Stabilization ect all can be offered by a NG or USAR R&R NCO. In the grand scheme, a short break in service will have no impact on you. If you take terminal leave, then you can ETS and sign the next day and have no break in service.

Comment

Another concern I have is that I am 29 years old and the requirement for officers is by the 31st birthday. My goal when I joined the army to begin with was to become a pilot (due to a not so smart in his job recruiter...) I wasn't made aware of the fact that I would have been able to become a flight warrant officer from the start (at the time they were offering that).
          anyhow. my NG recruiter is now looking up ROTC program (my age might be a factor in this) because I wanna be as comfortable as I can be financially while attending school so a job doesn't distract me from my GPA.

No one wants to make the wrong decision due to a lack of knowledge is why I'm acquiring about all this to begin with.

Comment

Working...
          X