Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Active duty to Guard, or AGR if possible?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active duty to Guard, or AGR if possible?

Extended my contract for deployment, just got back and should take terminal FEB2013. ETS is APR2013. I am 11C, E4, and would like to go into the guard, Active Guard if possible. I will be going back to my home in Albuquerque, NM. I feel like I am pretty short on time, and would like to know what steps I should take to get things rolling. I tried calling a recruiter and he just told me there will be a rep during ACAP to help me out. Is there anything I can do to help myself torwards an AGR spot? I read in some other posts, that there could be a short break in service during the transition, can I try to get a small break? ETS date is 17APR2013, I would like to shoot for 28 or 29APR2013 to get back in. So just a week & a half break.

Thanks

Re: Active duty to Guard, or AGR if possible?

Originally posted by chat15drew View Post
    Extended my contract for deployment, just got back and should take terminal FEB2013. ETS is APR2013. I am 11C, E4, and would like to go into the guard, Active Guard if possible. I will be going back to my home in Albuquerque, NM. I feel like I am pretty short on time, and would like to know what steps I should take to get things rolling. I tried calling a recruiter and he just told me there will be a rep during ACAP to help me out. Is there anything I can do to help myself torwards an AGR spot? I read in some other posts, that there could be a short break in service during the transition, can I try to get a small break? ETS date is 17APR2013, I would like to shoot for 28 or 29APR2013 to get back in. So just a week & a half break.

Thanks
    BLUF: if you are getting off Active Duty, you need to have plans for full time civilian employment or education. Do not count on the Guard to provide anything but a weekend drill per month and a 2-week AT each year.

I don't know anything about the Active -> Guard transition, but I can tell you that your chances of walking right into an AGR slot are slim to none. Those appointments are coveted and are typically very "political," if you know what I mean. It can take months (or more) to actually go through the appointment process. Also, since you're an E4, there wouldn't be many positions open to you anyway. Most AGR positions are for NCOs because they're day-to-day administrative jobs.

Comment

Well, anyone can get an AGR job, regardless of MOS (must be MOSQd within a year or two, whichever) and if they have E5 positions, you can be an E4. Hell, even E6 supply sergeant jobs are open to E4s.

How AGR positions are filled are:

Approved hardship packets to a certain area
      Promotions within the state (If an AGR E6 92Y position is open and there is a promotable E5 92Y, he will be moved to the E6 slot and his position will be advertised)
      Advertised

Thats why you see a lot of AGR jobs opened, then cancelled, because people put in hardships. Most of the time, however, it's an interview. Most AGR jobs are 42A, 92Y, and 25U and trust me, there are a lot of Soldiers that will grab an AGR job that already have the MOS and experience.

Heed the LTs advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Loki View Post
        Hell, even E6 supply sergeant jobs are open to E4s.
        I didn't know that. I knew an E5 could fill an E6 slot but I assumed that an E4 could not. Is there some official guidance on the minimum grades for various slots?

Comment

No. Typically a "Senior Supply Sergeant level" job is reserved for only E5 promotables (like a HHC or STB) but a Company level supply sergeant job usually advertises from E4-E6.

Company supply is easy, that's why. STBs and HHCs have too many officers and higher enlisted for a brand new NCO to dealing with. At least for Virginia, the amount of people in the unit determine the size of the full time force. These are just estimates:

40 people = 1 Readiness, 1 Supply
          80 people = 1 readiness, 1 training, 1 supply
          180 people = 1 readiness, 1 assistant readiness, 1 training, 1 supply

and so on and so on.

Supply Sergeant jobs are weird. In our state, our Aviation Companies don't have a supply sergeant; he's in the STB.
          Detachment Supply Sergeants are E5s that are located (by UMR) under the Support Battalion supply section.
          Last edited by Mr_Loki; November 30th, 2012, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Contact your installation silver siege representative to start greasing the skids for a ARNG or Reserve position when you get out. Not every post has them, but many do. The advantage is making sure you don't have a break in service which makes life ALOT easier if you plan on staying in. I will also echo the LT...there will not be any AGR vacancies for a E-4 11C.

Comment

Working...
            X