X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prior service USMC into Guard

I actually still am in the Marines, I am an 0311 infatryman, at the rank of LCpl E-3, most likely gonna be promoted to E-4 before I EAS. I EAS around the end of 2013, possibly the Beginning of 2014 depending on the VEERP.
    I am looking into the Guard while I am a Student and I would like to know about:
    # promotions
    # will I be able to stay permanent at my local guard armory
    # what are my requirements

Thank you for your help
    -Reynolds
    Last edited by reynoldsusmc; November 28th, 2012, 03:06 PM.

Re: Prior service USMC into Guard

Originally posted by reynoldsusmc View Post
    I actually still am in the Marines, I am an 0311 infatryman, at the rank of LCpl E-3, most likely gonna be promoted to E-4 before I EAS. I EAS around the end of 2013, possibly the Beginning of 2014 depending on the VEERP.
    I am looking into the Guard while I am a Student and I would like to know about:
    # promotions

Thank you for your help
    -Reynolds
    As long as you're able to maintain your height/weight and pass the pt test, promotions will come, at least up to E-5. After E-5 it will become competitive. A few things you can do to make yourself more promotable, do well in pt, weapons qual, continue your civilian education, and work on army correspondence courses. Promotions are based on a point system and all of the previous are taken into account along with time in service, time in grade, awards and your leadership evaluation.

Ask your local Recruiter which MOS has the best opportunity for promotion, you can keep your current MOS or change it. Ensure all your USMC awards are on your DD214 and they don't screw you with a bad RE (re-enlistment eligibility) code. I've seen good Marines get discharged with an RE-3 for no apparent reason.

Comment

# promotions

Thank you for your help
      -Reynolds
      There's a section on the National Guard website that is dedicated to PS Marines. Here's a direct link.

One of your questions wasn't addressed yet and that was staying in one armory (or one unit). Being in the National Guard will make that almost certain unless you choose to switch locations, your MOS disappears/reallocated to another MOS, or becomes over strength.

Comment

thank you very much

Comment

thank you very much
          You're welcome! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Comment

You can choose to stay at one unit. If obtaining rank at a certain rate, getting awards for certain things, being with certain leadership... are important to you, transferring within the state makes some of these things go faster. You can decide to stay at one location, but to keep up with peers might mean moving around the state. Depends what your priorities are. And different types of units make these things change also. A mostly MP unit or mostly Infantry probably means you can stay there if your MOS is MP or Infantryman, and keep up with peers. But if you are an Infantryman in lets say.... battalion level MP unit that has INF slots for whatever reason...advancing at the pace you want likely means transferring.

Comment

Originally posted by NYGuardRecruiter View Post
              Ensure all your USMC awards are on your DD214 and they don't screw you with a bad RE (re-enlistment eligibility) code. I've seen good Marines get discharged with an RE-3 for no apparent reason.
              where is that code located? I have a DD FORM 214, FEB 2000 version of that DD214

Comment

On the DD214

Comment

Working...
                X