Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-enlist with RE-4 with KND separation code?

After doing a bit of lurking about re-enlisting in the Army NG, I noticed people having issues about RE-4 waivers which made me look at my USCG DD214 and, low and behold, mine is coded as RE-4. So, now I have a few questions as my situation is a bit unique (I think).

I was in the active duty Coast Guard and was honorably discharged after 8 years under a program that allowed me discharge early but retain rank, etc. IF I decided to re-enlist in the Coast Guard within 6 months of discharge. I discharged in 2000 so the 6 months has definitely passed. My DD214 has RE-4 re-enlistment code and KND separation code. I kept all of the paperwork (including a few emails) about the program that allowed me to separate early from the USCG so hopefully this will help my situation. I was NOT discharged for bad behavior, misconduct, etc. and always had good reviews.

Prior to enlisting in the USCG, I was in Mass. Army National Guard for 3 years as 11B and discharged with RE-1 sep code.

My question is - am I able to re-enlist in the Army National Guard if my CG DD214 has RE-4 or am I SOL because of the RE-4 code? Is it even worth it to reach out to a recruiter to determine if I can re-enlist?

Thanks in advance

TT1

Re: Re-enlist with RE-4 with KND separation code?

You finally realized 12 years later that you have an RE-4 and what it means? The first time I left AD 20 years ago, I knew what it meant.

At the current moment, RE4 is not being accepted and your RE4 will supercede your RE1.

Follow Chaplain's advice but he was afforded the opportunity during a different time when the recruiting policy was different.

Good luck.

Comment

KND - Failure to obtain retainability?

Comment

Thanks for the comments and the good luck sentiments....sounds like I will need all the good luck I can get.

From what I understand, the KND code also has this definition: KND - No defintion on this code at this time. At least according to these two web sites - http://www.vetshome.com/military%20s...on%20codes.htm and http://www.navygirl.org/QA/docs/DD214_RE-CODES.pdf.

Unfortunately, I did not realize 12 years ago how important the RE code could be to future decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by fmcityslicker View Post
          You finally realized 12 years later that you have an RE-4 and what it means? The first time I left AD 20 years ago, I knew what it meant.

At the current moment, RE4 is not being accepted and your RE4 will supercede your RE1.

Follow Chaplain's advice but he was afforded the opportunity during a different time when the recruiting policy was different.

Good luck.
          Agreed. Even with super recruiters, you're still at an impasse.

Comment

After reviewing applicable sections of the Coast Guard Personnel Manual, I should have received RE-1. The manual specifically states "Members are separated from the Coast Guard for the Convenience of the Government and receive a RE-1 reenlistment code". Now I'm ticked off that some admin didn't read the manual and, more importantly, that I didn't catch the mistake.

My path forward is to submit a DD293 to the Discharge Review Board and request that my RE code be changed to RE-1 per the Personnel Manual. I'm going to use the assistance of the American Legion rep that's local to my area to help with the process. Assuming they approve (and I don't know why the wouldn't approve), I'll have RE-1 and should be much more 'eligible' to reenlist.

Does anyone know the turn-around time to get a RE code changed by going through a Discharge Review Board? Anyone have helpful tips or can share experiences with the DRB?

Comment

Good luck but keep in mind that it is almost impossible to get an re code changed. I hope this isn't the case for you.

Comment

Originally posted by TT1 View Post
                After reviewing applicable sections of the Coast Guard Personnel Manual, I should have received RE-1. The manual specifically states "Members are separated from the Coast Guard for the Convenience of the Government and receive a RE-1 reenlistment code". Now I'm ticked off that some admin didn't read the manual and, more importantly, that I didn't catch the mistake.

My path forward is to submit a DD293 to the Discharge Review Board and request that my RE code be changed to RE-1 per the Personnel Manual. I'm going to use the assistance of the American Legion rep that's local to my area to help with the process. Assuming they approve (and I don't know why the wouldn't approve), I'll have RE-1 and should be much more 'eligible' to reenlist.

Does anyone know the turn-around time to get a RE code changed by going through a Discharge Review Board? Anyone have helpful tips or can share experiences with the DRB?
                They will not change RE codes unless there was in fact a true error. It is not like getting a discharge upgraded by proving you are now a good boy. Are you positive the narrative reason behind the discharge was convenience of the government?

Turn around time on a discharge review board is one of the more painful waiting processes the government has to offer. It will not be quick.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
                  They will not change RE codes unless there was in fact a true error. It is not like getting a discharge upgraded by proving you are now a good boy. Are you positive the narrative reason behind the discharge was convenience of the government?

Turn around time on a discharge review board is one of the more painful waiting processes the government has to offer. It will not be quick.

Yes, I believe this was an administrative error. The discharge papers signed by my CO stated there are no pending disciplinary actions, etc. and that I was being discharged per Chapter 12, section H of the Personnel Manual. I just read the Ch 12, section H and it clearly states what I quoted previously...."Members are separated from the Coast Guard for the Convenience of the Government and receive a RE-1 reenlistment code".

Thanks for the comments. I'm going to put my best effort forward and fight for my code to be changed because it's just not right that I had RE4 on my DD214 when I was discharged under a program that clearly states I should be RE1.

ParalegalNCO1 - I'm kind of reading between the lines on your previous comment....do you foresee an issue with the 'Convenience of the Government' statement?

I really appreciate everyone's realistic advice.....

Comment

Yes, I believe this was an administrative error. The discharge papers signed by my CO stated there are no pending disciplinary actions, etc. and that I was being discharged per Chapter 12, section H of the Personnel Manual. I just read the Ch 12, section H and it clearly states what I quoted previously...."Members are separated from the Coast Guard for the Convenience of the Government and receive a RE-1 reenlistment code".

Thanks for the comments. I'm going to put my best effort forward and fight for my code to be changed because it's just not right that I had RE4 on my DD214 when I was discharged under a program that clearly states I should be RE1.

ParalegalNCO1 - I'm kind of reading between the lines on your previous comment....do you foresee an issue with the 'Convenience of the Government' statement?

Just keep in mind the burden lies on you to prove your discharge code is incorrect. Gather as much information that you can to prove that they gave you the wrong code. Send them copies of all your paperwork that states why you were discharged as well as the personnel manual you quoted.

Paralegal - Just curious but, will the guard look at an RE-4 based on the narrative reason and his discharge papers or do they just see the RE-4 and not give it any more time?

Comment

For obvious reasons I don't know Coast Guard regs like I know Army regs, what I do know, is even the smartest of individuals sometimes do not comprehend the specifics of the regulations used to separate service members. The narrative reason on the DD 214 will be the most crucial piece of evidence. What does it say?

Comment

The DD214 currently says "SEPERATION FOR MISCELLANEOUS/ GENERAL REASONS".

Separation code is KND and Reentry code is RE4.

Comment

The DD214 currently says "SEPERATION FOR MISCELLANEOUS/ GENERAL REASONS".

Separation code is KND and Reentry code is RE4.
                          That is not the same as a separation for conveinance of government. If it was for that, it would say that.

Comment

What I was trying to say was the Personnel Manual (Ch 12, section H) stated the reason for separation is for the convenience of the government......which is different from how my DD214 is currently written hence the reason for the review with the discharge review board.

Sorry if I made things confusing.

Comment

What I was trying to say was the Personnel Manual (Ch 12, section H) stated the reason for separation is for the convenience of the government......which is different from how my DD214 is currently written hence the reason for the review with the discharge review board.

Sorry if I made things confusing.
                              This is one of my most common FAQs.....many times one scenario can lead to multiple separation actions. It's very possible you thought your situation fit option A, which it probably did, but it seems (educated guess) you failed to realize the command had options A and/or B...maybe even C.

Comment

Working...
                              X