Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

40 year old with 5 years and 2 months active duty Marine Corps service.... Want to sign up.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40 year old with 5 years and 2 months active duty Marine Corps service.... Want to sign up.

I hope someone here can help me. I am confused by the new age restrictions because I have heard 2 different things from 2 different people. I have 5 years and 2 months of active duty time (honorable discharge, RE-1A, divorced, no kids, no medical issues) and I turned 40 in September. The operator I talked to (1-800-Go-Guard) said that as long as I can hit the 20 year mark by 60 I am eligible. According to her, I should be good to go. A WV recruiter I talked to said that I had to hit the 35 y.o. mark (current age - active service time) which means I have until Nov 15th to get to MEPS (not likely due to this being a long holiday weekend).

Who is right?

If it could still work and there is a recruiter from VA, WV, PA, MD, or NC reading this, please contact me and talk to me about my options. I am traveling for work this week or I would be standing in a VA recruiters office right now... hoping to get some help with this via the forum since I can't use my phone in the SCIF.

I was a Marine SIGINT analyst but I am currently doing CT/All Source work. I wouldn't mind switching to another career and I am particularly interested in the ROTC/SMTP type of program. Current TS clearance with an SSBI (waiting on the Army to re-adjudicate my SCI).

Thanks for the assistance!

Re: 40 year old with 5 years and 2 months active duty Marine Corps service.... Want to sign up.

The whole prior service age requirements has gotten so out of hand, thanks to confusing guidance from National Guard Bureau (NGB).

You need to take USAREC MESSAGE 12-241 to that recruiter. This does apply to the Guard and blessed off by NGB.

3a. Age. The maximum enlistment age is 35 for qualified personnel
    (Non-prior Service (NPS)) who enlist into the Regular Army (RA), Army Reserve (AR) or Army National Guard (ARNG). The maximum enlistment age of prior service personnel (PS) entering the Regular Army is 35 and will be based on their prior active service computation as explained in the criteria below. Enlistment of PS personnel into the Reserve Components (AR/ARNG) will be determined by their ability to qualify for non-regular retired pay by age 60 as described below.

3. PS personnel enlisting into the RA, AR, or ARNG under this policy may enter active duty after age 35, if otherwise eligible based on prior Active or Reserve service computation. See below:

(a) PS members processing for the Regular Army: after member's total prior active service is subtracted from their current age, their age for enlistment must not exceed 35 and the member must qualify for regular retirement with 20 or more years of active Federal Service by age 62.

(b) PS members processing for the Reserve Components (AR/ARNG): after member is given credit for total prior service (Active and Reserve Component) the member must be able to qualify for non-regular retired pay by age 60. For members processing for entry into an RC age is not a factor as long as the member qualifies for non-regular retired pay by age 60.

4. RA enlistees must be eligible for regular retirement by age 62. AR enlistees must be eligible for non-regular retirement by age 60.

Comment

Re: 40 year old with 5 years and 2 months active duty Marine Corps service.... Want to sign up.

SF Hunter,

Thanks for the reply. When I read the message (how did I miss the sticky??) I figured that the NG operator was giving me the straight scoop. I'll print this out and try to get some resolution with the recruiter.

On an unrelated note, I'm in Crestview this week training a group of Analysts with 7th Group. Best group of analysts I have worked with at this job... highly motivated and smart as hell.

--gruffwolf

Comment

Originally posted by gruffwolf View Post
        SF Hunter,

Thanks for the reply. When I read the message (how did I miss the sticky??) I figured that the NG operator was giving me the straight scoop. I'll print this out and try to get some resolution with the recruiter.

On an unrelated note, I'm in Crestview this week training a group of Analysts with 7th Group. Best group of analysts I have worked with at this job... highly motivated and smart as hell.

--gruffwolf
        Be prepared to keep hitting a wall of recruiters that are INSISTING on the 35 age thing even for prior service. I have gotten 5 emails from 5 different recruiters that are sticking to their guns about 35 even for prior service even when sent the above message with the same parts in bold.

Comment

Originally posted by robinpugs06 View Post
          Be prepared to keep hitting a wall of recruiters that are INSISTING on the 35 age thing even for prior service. I have gotten 5 emails from 5 different recruiters that are sticking to their guns about 35 even for prior service even when sent the above message with the same parts in bold.
          Aren't you glossary non prior though?

Comment

Working...
          X