Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prior Service 11series considering AOCS with branch questions? State of AL

I am looking for some help on branches in the Alabama National Guard- OCS

Little Background

I am a 38 years old, prior service (active duty 11b from 1991-94) and Alabama National Guard 11M (converted with 167th infantry)from 94 till 2003. I ETS'd out after I got back from deployment in 2003. Wife was pregnant (yes I know, my daughter looks like me so I don't think it was Jody) and wanted to focus on family and money. Now, I am in a position financially and with my family and my business to be able to re-enter service (kids are 9-7), and have money in the bank to cover any issues during AOCS and my branch school, deployments, etc, and anything else that comes up.

I truly miss the military, it is one of those things I would do for free if I could do it.

I feel comfortable saying that I was "high speed" back in the day, I received a regular army nomination to West Point while active duty (barred from medical injury, broken legs screw things up) and was nominated for a direct commission on my last deployment (obviously didn't get, AMA commander did not approve due to college credits at the time).

So here I am looking to get back in, I have contacted a 200th regiment recruiter and was told branches are assigned as needs of the military. Got it, I was also told that if I found a unit that would have a slot open around my grad date. that I could go as their "sponsor?" thus "guaranteeing" my branch.

I can put 300 up on my AFPT, I can shoot expert (have a EIB), spent tons of time training EIB, and love the field. My GT score is 128, Had a Top Secret clearance while on active duty.

Here is my problem, I seriously know nothing about anything else in the Army other than Infantry, so if anyone has taken time to read my "love" letter here, please chime in on any experiences, suggestions, recommendations with other branches. If you have any contacts with other NG branches that you feel could spend a few minutes talking to me I would also appreciate that as well.

Thanks!

Re: Prior Service 11series considering AOCS with branch questions? State of AL

Originally posted by ATV11B View Post
    I am looking for some help on branches in the Alabama National Guard- OCS

Little Background

I am a 38 years old, prior service (active duty 11b from 1991-94) and Alabama National Guard 11M (converted with 167th infantry)from 94 till 2003. I ETS'd out after I got back from deployment in 2003. Wife was pregnant (yes I know, my daughter looks like me so I don't think it was Jody) and wanted to focus on family and money. Now, I am in a position financially and with my family and my business to be able to re-enter service (kids are 9-7), and have money in the bank to cover any issues during AOCS and my branch school, deployments, etc, and anything else that comes up.

I truly miss the military, it is one of those things I would do for free if I could do it.

I feel comfortable saying that I was "high speed" back in the day, I received a regular army nomination to West Point while active duty (barred from medical injury, broken legs screw things up) and was nominated for a direct commission on my last deployment (obviously didn't get, AMA commander did not approve due to college credits at the time).

So here I am looking to get back in, I have contacted a 200th regiment recruiter and was told branches are assigned as needs of the military. Got it, I was also told that if I found a unit that would have a slot open around my grad date. that I could go as their "sponsor?" thus "guaranteeing" my branch.

I can put 300 up on my AFPT, I can shoot expert (have a EIB), spent tons of time training EIB, and love the field. My GT score is 128, Had a Top Secret clearance while on active duty.

Here is my problem, I seriously know nothing about anything else in the Army other than Infantry, so if anyone has taken time to read my "love" letter here, please chime in on any experiences, suggestions, recommendations with other branches. If you have any contacts with other NG branches that you feel could spend a few minutes talking to me I would also appreciate that as well.

Thanks!
    If no one chimes in under this thread, be sure to keep looking around the Forums. Other MOS's are frequently discussed on here, so you're bound to learn something. Feel free to check them out and ask questions!

Comment

Re: Prior Service 11series considering AOCS with branch questions? State of AL

Originally posted by ATV11B View Post

Thanks!
      Would you like to branch infantry? Are you interested in a branch outside combat arms? I'm currently a 12B in a Sapper company. Our LT's love being in the unit vs being in a vertical or horizontal construction company. The majority of the engineer officers in my state fight to get into the unit because it is by nature more fun to blow **** up then to build roads lol! But then there is the real posibility that many 01-02 engineer officers in my state will never get placed in a line unit.

My original MOS was 13E. The PL's who were assigned to a gun line had fun. The Fire Support Officer seemed to have even more fun. The officer in charge of my section, Fire Direction Control (FDC) had very little fun lol! If I were to become an officer and branch FA I would be trying to land a FSO slot, but there would be the real posibility that it would never happen.

Comment

Working...
      X