X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marine looking to join National Guard

I am a former Marine, served 5.5 years and I am looking to get back into the Military . My MOS was 6172, helicopter crew chief and I am looking for the equivalent in the guard, 15T. I was an E5 as a Marine and I am also looking to keep my rank. If I am able to join the guard I would like to do the Warrant Officer program to eventually become a helicopter pilot as well.

I am hoping to do full time active duty in New York and I was wondering if anyone had some advice. How long does it typically take to go through the process? What is the normal wait time for a full time slot? Thanks for the advice!
    Last edited by bmaine85; October 27th, 2012, 10:33 AM. Reason: Warrant officer

Re: Marine looking to join National Guard

Whew! That is alot! Sometimes I like to view potential paths into possibility versus probability. Assuming you meet the mental, moral and physical requirements for the goals you have listed...all of it is POSSIBLE. Some are more PROBABLE than others however.

Honestly, competing for a WOCS Flight slot for soldiers who have high requisite qualifications isn't as hard as one might think. So, of your "goals", other than re-enlisting as a 15T, that is perhaps surprizingly the most likely to become reality.

Keeping your E5 is dependant on the strength status of the recieving unit. I can't guess at the likelyhood of a aviation unit local to you having a unfilled E5 vacancy, or one they are willing to double slot you into. Honestly, there "tend" to be a number of worthy E4(P)s out there, who are competing on a EPS list that units are typically trying to promote. It IS possible, but if it is a deal breaker for you, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Full time as a 15T (Dual Status Technician), are some of the more common WG jobs that are out there. Any typical Army Aviation Support Facility has over a dozen 15Ts on staff full time. Here's a link to an opening with the NYARNG right now in Syracuse for example. https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/327635200

A full time pilot slot? This is undoubtably the most improbable. They do exsist, and perhaps you are just the Marine they are looking for...but it won't be any time soon...and by soon, even if the stars are aligned perfectly for you, I'd think of it as a 10 or 12 year plan with no guarantee of success.

Comment

+1 on your last sentence. Ooh-Rah.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
        A full time pilot slot? This is undoubtably the most improbable. They do exsist, and perhaps you are just the Marine they are looking for...but it won't be any time soon...and by soon, even if the stars are aligned perfectly for you, I'd think of it as a 10 or 12 year plan with no guarantee of success.
        Most of them are maintenance test pilots. That is a qualification that will take at least a couple years to attain.

Comment

Working...
        X