Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marine wanting to join the National Guard.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marine wanting to join the National Guard.

I am a prior Marine and want to join the National Guard and had a few Questions for you guys. First let me give you the low down on me. I served active duty for 8 years and got out December 2011. I was a Sergeant/E5 and my MOS was equivalent to the Army's 42A. I was just wondering what kind of training I have to go through and where would the uniforms be issued? And if there is any other information you guys can give to me. Thank you.

Re: Marine wanting to join the National Guard.

Originally posted by felizidad24 View Post
    I am a prior Marine and want to join the National Guard and had a few Questions for you guys. First let me give you the low down on me. I served active duty for 8 years and got out December 2011. I was a Sergeant/E5 and my MOS was equivalent to the Army's 42A. I was just wondering what kind of training I have to go through and where would the uniforms be issued? And if there is any other information you guys can give to me. Thank you.
    As a Prior Service Marine, the transition to the National Guard is a bit easier. You won't have to attend BCT and since you're MOS qualified in an Administrative field, you should be able to find an equivalent MOS, i.e. 42A. It will really come down to your type of discharge (RE and SPD codes), your current physical/health condition, and slot availability in the MOS you are enlisting in. If you want to re-class into a different MOS, I would recommend looking into your options now since it's more difficult to do later once you signed your contract and get to your unit.

A word on rank. Its common for lower NCO's, specifically E5s, to be dropped down to E4 when they switch branches. This often comes down to what rank your slot is designated for. If you're lucky, you can land an E5 or E6 slot giving you the potential to keep your rank and/or promote up.

Uniforms are a none-issue. Once you complete the enlistment process, you'll be assigned to a unit where your Supply Sergeant will issue your uniforms!

I'm not sure if you have seen it yet or not, but there's a section on the National Guard website designated for Prior Service Marines. It outlines what you can expect and provides some general information. Here's a link: PS Marine Corps

Comment

There are more than me, but just wanted to let you know i'm a 42A if you have any questions on that. I've been in six years, only been doing my MOS a couple years as before that I did productive things during drill, just not so much 42A stuff.

There were three Soldiers in my AIT (school) that were reclassing. It was held at Fort Jackson. Those three were in the schoolhouse about 0800-1600 M-F. They tasked them some on off hours but not much. They went out to the field once and were OP 4 (the bad guys) for us for a weekend once. The school is pretty vague. It was outdated at the time. Was NOT hard at all to keep a 100% throughout the majorty of the course.

Comment

Thank you for the information. I hope I don't lose the rank that I worked hard for but I understand that it is the needs of the National Guard. Hoping for the better though. I dont have an issue with the re-enlistment code for I have an RE 1A. Thank you again!

Comment

WIBecky, I do have a question for you. What does a 42A do during drill and what is the likeliness I could get deployed? Have you ever been deployed? Is there ways to request for deployment? Thank you and sorry to drop so many questions on you.

Comment

I will also look at the Army Reserves for 42A availability since you have concerns about being reduced a grade. I was a 42A for almost 6 years in the Guard. I reclassed after leaving 12B (combat engineer). I was in a PSD (personnel services detachment) which mostly just trains as 42A support in a combat environment. WIBECKY did deploy as a 42A. When I left the Connecticut Guard to go active, my PSD unit got activation orders. I actually saw them in Kuwait when I was heading to Iraq but they were based there doing convoy security missions (In 2005).

All depends on the unit's mission.

Comment

Originally posted by felizidad24 View Post
              WIBecky, I do have a question for you. What does a 42A do during drill and what is the likeliness I could get deployed? Have you ever been deployed? Is there ways to request for deployment? Thank you and sorry to drop so many questions on you.
              that varies from unit to unit. To be honest, many units don't utilize their MDAY (part time, drilling soldiers) 42As very effeciently. And that is mainly because there is a full time 42A who normally does most of the work through out the month. For example, I have 3 full time staff in my S1 section and then on drill I have 3 more drilling Soldiers. It can change monthly what we have them do, but generally at drill my Soldiers may do records review, assist with promotion packets, issue ID cards or dog tags, review NCOERs, assist with procesing discharge packets, and a variety of other HR duties.

Comment

You hear this so often but it is true, it really depends on where you end up and that specific unit. As a junior enlisted you spend a good amount of time PMCSing the vehicle, straightening out the cage, shredding, maditory briefs, maditory training such as licenses and Warrior Tasks. Depending on the unit, there is 1 to many full time S1s. They usually save some filing and easy tasks for the weekends. During time when nothing else is going on, good leadership will introduce the programs used to accomplish S1 tasks. The non fulltime E5/E6s usually have a small team under them. They will have an additional S1 task or two each drill weekend. Like making sure addresses are all up to date within the section or they do the PERSTAT. They are usually the Rater on the lower enlisted's evaluations. The section sergeant usually deligates the weekend tasks to the SGTs/SSGs and they oversea them getting done. Since we only meet once a month every year (the two weeks in the summer are taken up with more field type excersises along with every day sustainment tasks) alot of drill for every section is updating personal paperwork of all types, going over issued items and signing for them, manditory briefs, PMCSing equipment and learning our every day programs as well as programs that are used in a theater situation.

I made ID cards for a year overseas mostly for contractors and such. The rest of the S1 got the Brigade overseas and back paperwork wise, wrote the return SOP while there. Most Sustainment type tasks are done the same stateside as they are overseas, with of course a few exceptions. Did alot with awards there too for the whole brigade. In a combat type situation we would be working the different types of Leave and replacing Soldiers if necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by WIBecky74 View Post
                  In a combat type situation we would be working the different types of Leave and replacing Soldiers if necessary.
                  Oh yeah...on deployment be prepared to do a lot of awards. Sadly, there will probably be some purple hearts thrown in there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by HR NCO View Post
                    Oh yeah...on deployment be prepared to do a lot of awards. Sadly, there will probably be some purple hearts thrown in there as well.
                    Still makes me sick what I read in some of the awards and not because of what happened to receive them either!

We are coming up on another deployment at the BDE level (it will be five years between them by the time we get to it, notification is a year out) and it will be sustainment again. CENTCOM but not a Stan. For the line units basically also. S1 at the BN/Unit level is pretty much the same overseas. Just more awards and Memo type letters to move soldiers correctly. Lots of PERSTAT hassle while moving. The reorg leading up to a Brigade wide deployment is a pain when you are working full time in the S1!

Comment

Originally posted by WIBecky74 View Post
                      Still makes me sick what I read in some of the awards
                      I know what you mean, I often felt like I was reading "black hawk down" as I read sworn statements describing different incidents.

Comment

Working...
                      X